The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
MadNatSci
:eek: :frown: :frown:

*complex*

Meh, it's natural - women just have more subcutaneous fat than men, especially on arms and legs. Our lady is really tiny, but there's still lots of fat (and practically no muscle). Doesn't smell as bad as the one next to us though :eek:
Reply 21
Helenia
Meh, it's natural - women just have more subcutaneous fat than men, especially on arms and legs. Our lady is really tiny, but there's still lots of fat (and practically no muscle). Doesn't smell as bad as the one next to us though :eek:

This is why I'm not doing medicine.

Also would have been difficult with no science A levels.
Helenia
You what? I just remember we had our pub crawl on the same night as about 6 other colleges, so was an absolute nightmare getting served. Then at the end of the night my friend tried to climb the tree outside John's - was v amusing.

Pub golf is a fine game. I have played it in Lytham 3 times. Much fun.
Helenia

My guy was awesome. He was slim but quite muscley. A case of healthy man gets struck down by disease and quickly dies. I think we even found the cause of death. Can't remember what though...
J
Reply 24
foolfarian
My guy was awesome. He was slim but quite muscley. A case of healthy man gets struck down by disease and quickly dies. I think we even found the cause of death. Can't remember what though...
J

'George', my sisters body, had gangreenous (sp?) toes...mixed with all that formaldehyde I bet it smelt great!
Reply 25
foolfarian
J

Decent. Think the one on the other side of us (that doesn't absolutely reek) is quite similar, very muscular and not much wrong with him, as opposed to ours (poor lady had enormous heart, completely blackened lungs etc etc...

The smelly one next to us had a huge cyst on his kidney which they had to drain, and an abdominal aortic aneurysm, which was cool.
The way you glamorize peoples dead parts makes me want to become a medic :smile:

I can't beleive it is so hands on so quickly. I mean, freshers week? Surely, you'd need to be mentally prepared for such a meeting? Or is there something about the natural disposition of a medic student?
Reply 27
MentallyIll
I can't beleive it is so hands on so quickly. I mean, freshers week? Surely, you'd need to be mentally prepared for such a meeting? Or is there something about the natural disposition of a medic student?

I dunno, we're quite normal really, although I know a lot of people who simply can't understand why we want to do what we do. We know we're going to be doing dissection, it's an essential part of the anatomy course, and it starts just like other lectures and so on start. How would you mentally prepare for something like that? I get the feeling that if you weren't exposed to dissection early on, it would build up into a much bigger deal than it is.
Helenia
I dunno, we're quite normal really, although I know a lot of people who simply can't understand why we want to do what we do. We know we're going to be doing dissection, it's an essential part of the anatomy course, and it starts just like other lectures and so on start. How would you mentally prepare for something like that? I get the feeling that if you weren't exposed to dissection early on, it would build up into a much bigger deal than it is.

Yeah, I guess what you are saying makes sense....I am not soft or anything, but I think I'd be distracted by thinking of the corps' family and how sad death is....and similar thoughts.
I think it would take me some time to slice open their kidneys or lungs.
Some poor bugger is going to skim read this thread and get totally the wrong idea with all this talk about dead bodies!
Helenia
Decent. Think the one on the other side of us (that doesn't absolutely reek) is quite similar, very muscular and not much wrong with him, as opposed to ours (poor lady had enormous heart, completely blackened lungs etc etc...

The smelly one next to us had a huge cyst on his kidney which they had to drain, and an abdominal aortic aneurysm, which was cool.

aneurysm is quite funky. Did you get anyone in your DR with a pasemaker? The table opposite us did, t'was quite a funny discovery.
J
Reply 31
MentallyIll
Yeah, I guess what you are saying makes sense....I am not soft or anything, but I think I'd be distracted by thinking of the corps' family and how sad death is....and similar thoughts.
I think it would take me some time to slice open their kidneys or lungs.

Well, it is sad, you just sort of have to accept it though. When you get to that age and have that much wrong with you, I don't think death is such a bad thing. You still have to treat the bodies with a certain degree of respect (memories of restraining one of my colleagues who is a little too enthusiastic with the scalpel :eek:

foolfarian
aneurysm is quite funky. Did you get anyone in your DR with a pasemaker? The table opposite us did, t'was quite a funny discovery

I think we did, but I was stupid and haven't been to look at any of them :frown: We got a deformed hepatic artery (came off superior mesenteric rather than coeliac trunk) which Whitaker got quite excited about, and announced over the tannoy that everyone should come and have a look at ours, then discovered that 3 other bodies had the same thing :tongue:

Latest

Trending

Trending