The Student Room Group

Your unpopular football opinions.

Scroll to see replies

The performance doesn't matter as long as you win the game.
David Moyes will achieve success as Manchester United manager, and may even go on to win the CL THIS season
David Luiz is highly overrated
I would definitely not have either Cleverly or Welbeck in the England squad
Roberto Martinez should replace Roy Hodgson as England manager some day
A cap of 50k a week should be placed on players' salaries
All matches should kick off on a Saturday at 3pm
No technology of any kind should be implemented in the game
Managers should not be fined or banned for criticising the performance of a referee
Original post by One Man Band
The performance doesn't matter as long as you win the game.
David Moyes will achieve success as Manchester United manager, and may even go on to win the CL THIS season
David Luiz is highly overrated
I would definitely not have either Cleverly or Welbeck in the England squad
Roberto Martinez should replace Roy Hodgson as England manager some day
A cap of 50k a week should be placed on players' salaries
All matches should kick off on a Saturday at 3pm
No technology of any kind should be implemented in the game
Managers should not be fined or banned for criticising the performance of a referee

Except for the 4th one, the rest are just wrong.
Original post by CB91
Except for the 4th one, the rest are just wrong.

Ok why do you think that?
Rusty just went off on a mad one.
Mourinho was the best man for the UTD job. It needed someone with an ego, not someone who would be humbled by the job and disappear into their shell.

Januzaj is over rated (I'm a utd fan), still promising just been made to look outstanding by a poor utd squad/performances.

#MoyesOut - Simply because I really dislike him as a person, he's boring, un-insightfull and got no balls. I reckon perfomances are result of the team just not giving a crap about Moyes cause of his personality, only worsened by his conservative Roy Hodgeson football.

Barca play terrible football, it's boring, still.

Victor Valdes is over rated.

Mario Gotze is over rated.

Neymar is actually a pretty well rounded player, not just the speed and box of tricks he's known for.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Amphiprion
Mourinho was the best man for the UTD job. It needed someone with an ego, not someone who would be humbled by the job and disappear into their shell.

Januzaj is over rated (I'm a utd fan), still promising just been made to look outstanding by a poor utd squad/performances.

#MoyesOut - Simply because I really dislike him as a person, he's boring, un-insightfull and got no balls. I reckon perfomances are result of the team just not giving a crap about Moyes cause of his personality, only worsened by his conservative Roy Hodgeson football.

Barca play terrible football, it's boring, still.

Victor Valdes is over rated.

Mario Gotze is over rated.

Neymar is actually a pretty well rounded player, not just the speed and box of tricks he's known for.

Disagree with this one. Valdes has been probably the second best Barcelona player. We're gonna miss him big time when he goes.
Original post by The Rusty Spork
Just on the technology one alone, what do you think the advances in football boots/gloves/kits/studs/balls are? Even further than that, television cameras, whistles, watches, stadiums, goalposts, nets, cars, planes, trains, food, drinks are?

**** me you must be an absolute idiot.

Congratulations on the most literal interpretation of something I've ever seen. When the issue of technology is considered in football, it is about video replays and goal line technology. Context is important here.
Leicester City will stay up comfortably next season.
Arsene Wenger is the best manager in the PL when you consider all aspects of his job and how much **** he has to worry about compared with others.
Reply 269
Original post by Zürich
Arsene Wenger is the best manager in the PL when you consider all aspects of his job and how much **** he has to worry about compared with others.

Think managers of teams in a relegation battle have more things to worry about than a manager in charge of a team in the top 4.
Tony Pulis is a poor manager overall - he's incredible at keeping teams up but eventually holds them back; he's like a band manager on an indie label.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Pete_91
It is still the easiest route anyone has had to winning the CL in its history. (Post 2000, can't think of a pre 2000 example but there might be one).

To be bitter for a moment; a couple of Liverpools successes in the 80s consisted of laughable roots to the final in my eyes.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by StretfordEnd
Tony Pulis is a poor manager overall - he's incredible at keeping teams up but eventually holds them back; he's like a band manager on an indie label.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don;t like Tony Pulis because i think he's a prick, but I wouldn't call him a poor manager. Made Stoke a steady team in the League finishing 12/13th

When there's teams like Utd, Chelsea, City, Liverpool, Arsenal, Everton and Tottenham, if you finish above most of the other teams, you're doing pretty well.
Arguably what Southampton have done overtakes that but he obviously knows what he's doing.
He's taken Palace from relegation--bound to one or two wins away from safety.

If he's poor, there's a lot of poor managers in professional football
. Ozil is the best midfielder in the EPL and has performed better than any other teams midfielders between sept - dec
. Sir Alex is overrated and is only as popular as he is due to the thousands of glory hunters that support united
. United have only won as many BPL titles as they have due to the weak opposition they have faced in the last 10 years rather than them being a dominant team ( this season is the reason why, more competition)
. Mertesacker and Sagna are overrated and have cost us a few goals and games and Arteta should be in league 2.
Original post by 9MmBulletz
I don;t like Tony Pulis because i think he's a prick, but I wouldn't call him a poor manager. Made Stoke a steady team in the League finishing 12/13th

When there's teams like Utd, Chelsea, City, Liverpool, Arsenal, Everton and Tottenham, if you finish above most of the other teams, you're doing pretty well.
Arguably what Southampton have done overtakes that but he obviously knows what he's doing.
He's taken Palace from relegation--bound to one or two wins away from safety.

If he's poor, there's a lot of poor managers in professional football

He's incredible at what he does - if I was in an English relegation dogfight there's probably no manager in world football I'd rather have. He's excellent at creating this siege mentality 'us v. them' situation (as evidenced by his teams always having great home form).

But the poorness comes in, imo, in the fact that he's one dimensional. Once he's kept a team up, he's maybe got a season until he's holding them back. Look at Stoke - they're on course for their highest ever finish, biggest points total, most goals scored the year after he's left; and that's with them adapting a very different style of play and with Mark Hughes at the helm who - tbh - I think is a poor manager himself.
Reply 275
To be bitter for a moment; a couple of Liverpools successes in the 80s consisted of laughable roots to the final in my eyes.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I was referring more the the CL era. Plenty of the European cup wins (Madrids first 5 come to mind) were won with little competition.
Original post by sr90
Leicester City will stay up comfortably next season.

We have had an excellent season. I think the key will be whether we keep a lot of the same team structure, we got a few players whose contracts are expiring, including key players like Schmeichel and even Nigel Pearson. I think that core team and team spirit needs to stay the same but also get a few signings in the form of another center back and also replace Paul Konchesky too.
He's incredible at what he does - if I was in an English relegation dogfight there's probably no manager in world football I'd rather have. He's excellent at creating this siege mentality 'us v. them' situation (as evidenced by his teams always having great home form).

But the poorness comes in, imo, in the fact that he's one dimensional. Once he's kept a team up, he's maybe got a season until he's holding them back. Look at Stoke - they're on course for their highest ever finish, biggest points total, most goals scored the year after he's left; and that's with them adapting a very different style of play and with Mark Hughes at the helm who - tbh - I think is a poor manager himself.

Same could be said for Moyes at Everton. He stopped them getting relegated and got them up the table, although he didn't have what it took to get them to the next level.

Martinez is a win away from beating Moyes' points record of 65 (not gonna lie, had to research that although I guessed around this figure), so you could put Moyes in the same boat.

Tbh, to stay at the top of management you need to be the nasty man/arrogant, like how Ferguson or Mourinho are often portrayed
Original post by 9MmBulletz
Same could be said for Moyes at Everton. He stopped them getting relegated and got them up the table, although he didn't have what it took to get them to the next level.

Martinez is a win away from beating Moyes' points record of 65 (not gonna lie, had to research that although I guessed around this figure), so you could put Moyes in the same boat.

Tbh, to stay at the top of management you need to be the nasty man/arrogant, like how Ferguson or Mourinho are often portrayed

I would put Moyes in the same boat, the poor bastard has been ruthlessly exposed to be honest.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Because you know how strong the continental teams were in the 80's?

We only won 2 European Cups in the 80's by the way. The other 2 were in the 70's.

Quick Reply

Latest