The Student Room Group

Your unpopular football opinions.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Quantex
Football fans are are the most loyal of all brand sheep. They need to learn to switch allegiance rather than continuing to support second rate teams. Why bother supporting a second rate sports franchise like Arsenal when you could upgrade and become a Chelsea supporter?

Obviously you're trolling. But if there weren't supporters of lower league teams, the english football league system as we know it would collapse.
Original post by Lyrical Prodigy
Hugo Lloris is overrated.

(Let the attacks begin).

Arsenal fan not sure if should take your opinion seriously :lol:

Also Ebo I know the season has been pretty disastrous but you need to chill out a little :lol:
Original post by Malevolent
Arsenal fan not sure if should take your opinion seriously :lol:

Also Ebo I know the season has been pretty disastrous but you need to chill out a little :lol:

What are you on about?

After all it is called "Post your unpopular football opinions"
This has nothing to do with whether he's a spurs player or not. Wth?
Original post by Lyrical Prodigy
What are you on about?

After all it is called "Post your unpopular football opinions"

Lloris overrated? Lloris is an absolute quality keeper.

No I think he's overrted. Since you're bringing in the fact that I'm an Arsenal fan into this I will say that Loris certainly has better reaction and better 'stoppings' than szeszcny but he definitely hasn't been the best this season. Please stop trying to pick out an arguement, it's my opinion. You're not obliged to agree.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 65
Original post by chazwomaq
The corners and goals one? It's actually based on statistical evidence (The Fink Tank in The Times). Their models consistently show no relationship between corners won and goals scored.

Original post by nase14_aldayz
Okay, there might not be a strong correlation, but it's still an opportunity to score, no?

Just like a freekick or any other cross into the box.

Short corners are far more beneficial to a team than whipping it into the box. As Chaz says, there is plenty of statistical evidence for this.
Arsenal fans on this forum are terrible.
Reply 67
Original post by Eboracum
He's the best ever.

Some people just earn the right to permanently be at top clubs. He's simply 'above' 99% of clubs. Only ones left are Manchester United and Bayern Munich, or an international job.

He won the Champions League at Porto in 2004, and his first Chelsea team were incredible.

Sir Alex Ferguson is incredibly overrated as a manager. He bought a whole host of terrible signings (including Moist), and papered over the cracks for years. 2 Champions Leagues in 26 years is a dreadful record, Pep won 2 in 3. Wonder how many trophies Jose would win in 26 years.

I do not agree that Mourinho is the best manager ever. His time at Madrid could be put down as a failure.

I do, however, agree with what you said about Ferguson. A good manager, but his Champions' League record is absolutely terrible!
Reply 68
- Beckham was never world-class.
- Harry Redknapp is the most over-rated British manager in the game.
- England won't win the World Cup during our lifetime.
-Jose Mourinho is a great manager but also very overrated. Picks his jobs very carefully so that he inherits teams ready made for success and then leaves them in a worse state than he found them. Also a failure at Real Madrid which nobody seems to talk mention? Also the media notion that he is somehow 'charismatic' baffles me, is anyone actually amused any-more or do people just see him as an obnoxious dickhead?

-ITV football have better football coverage than BBC very often. Would prefer to listen to Keane/Dixon over most MOTD pundits any day of the week.

-Alex Ferguson sold Utd down the river many times, he was only good for Utd when his own aims coincided with the club's. Took 30 pieces of silver from the Glazers.

-Johnny Evans and Rafael are very overrated by Utd fans, they're just as bad as the rest of the defence.

-Roberto Martinez is not doing a particularly good job at Everton given the team he inherited and the loan players he's used this year.

-Lionel Messi is overrated

-The Emirates is generally no less atmospheric than SB, OT, WHL etc and people project their frustrations with English football as a wheole onto AFC because we have a reputation generally.

-The EPL is still the best league in the world in terms of depth of quality, even if La Liga and the Bundesliga now have the very best teams.

The two statements arent mutually exclusive. I can think that Bayern are overrated and still think they're the best in the world for instance! People misinterpret the word so often.

Lloris is brilliant but his 'sweeper keeper' stuff clouds people's judgement on the rest of his goalkeeping generally, which is often just OK. He's not a particularly great shot stopper or from crosses.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by 9MmBulletz

:smile:

You're saying that the current Juventus team is better than Arsenal 2003-04?

Vieira vs Pogba, Henry vs Tevez, Pires vs Asamoah, Bergkamp vs Llorente? A team who's sum total achievements is winning a few Seire As in the weakest period of Italian football in 30 years?

Also to the people saying that Chelsea 2005 would beat Arsenal 2004, well in 2005 the sides met twice and drew twice and that team declined quite a bit from the previous year...

Would say that Arsenal would hammer most the Real teams of recent years as well.

Bayern/Barca too hard to judge because of the tactical issues but I dont see it as a no-brainier that AFC would get beaten.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 72
Original post by carrotstar
My unpopular football opinion; play rugby instead. Football is pointless.

I'd say the opposite. Once you've seen one game of rugby, you've seen them all. There's only so many ways you can run over a line with a ball, and only being able to pass backwards pretty much cuts out any possibility for variation. I'm not a huge fan of American football either, but at least the huge throws and catches are sort of impressive to watch.

I don't find the physicality of it particularly impressive either. In school, rugby was just the sport that the big/fat kids played because they weren't that good at any other sport.
Reply 73
Edin Dzeko is as good as Aguero and deserves to play more often. CTID !
Gary Neville is the best RB England has ever had.
Maradona was better than Pele
Original post by Eboracum
Evening Fizzel, hope you are well. Perhaps you could expand on this point. How exactly was that?
Because the club teetered on the edge of financial collapse with a debt hitting nearly £800m and rising. 2 league wins, 2 runners up and 2 CL finals both of which were lost to arguable the greatest club side of all time, with a net spend of negative £20m. It was essential for the club's revenue and securing the commercial deals that performance was maintained. We got some poor signings but we had to operate bargain basement, it didn't work with Bebe but it did with Hernandez, it didn't with Obertan but it did with Valencia.
Suarez and Sturridge absolutely carry Liverpool. I don't even know why this is unpopular or controversial opinion - the goals they've conceded are comparable to a mid table club in both nature and frequency, and the fact that they are second is testament to just how good SAS is/are.

But, SAS are not the best strike partnership in the world, they're in cracking form but IMO someone needs to perform to that level for a few years before you say 'these are the best'. I was frustrated last season with United fans declaring RVP the best striker in the world on the back one of his only prolific campaigns.
Original post by Fizzel
Because the club teetered on the edge of financial collapse with a debt hitting nearly £800m and rising. 2 league wins, 2 runners up and 2 CL finals both of which were lost to arguable the greatest club side of all time, with a net spend of negative £20m. It was essential for the club's revenue and securing the commercial deals that performance was maintained. We got some poor signings but we had to operate bargain basement, it didn't work with Bebe but it did with Hernandez, it didn't with Obertan but it did with Valencia.

Quite right. He took the pragmatic, sustainable approach and succeeded at it to a much better degree than Wenger; and that's been the only thing in Wenger's locker for nearly a decade now.

Ferguson keeping us competitive then has led us into a position where we are financially secure as loans, loan payments and bonds are all way, way down; and into a position we are able to make massive deals off the pitch. Even if we finish this season with no European football on the table this year, we are still secure for the long term.

That is largely down to the work that Ferguson and (dare I say it) the Glazer apologist Gill did in the noughties.
Reply 79
yes to all bar gibbs being ahead of luke shaw

Quick Reply

Latest