The Student Room Group
Bournemouth University students in library, Talbot campus
Bournemouth University
Poole

AUB halls of residence

Hey there! I will be studying Film Production in Arts University Bournemouth (AUB) from this September and I am looking to apply for the halls of residence. Does anyone know anything about them?

thank you
D.
Reply 1
Original post by harvey.swick
Hey there! I will be studying Film Production in Arts University Bournemouth (AUB) from this September and I am looking to apply for the halls of residence. Does anyone know anything about them?

thank you
D.

Hey, I might be doing Animation Production, nice to meet you :smile:
Are you asking about what the different accommodation is like or about costs and such things?
(edited 10 years ago)
Bournemouth University students in library, Talbot campus
Bournemouth University
Poole
Reply 2
Well, I didn't see any of the accomodations because I saw aub during a campus tour and not an open day, so I just wanted to ask people's opinions on George Close and Winton Halls....The halls in the campus looked very small and kinda miserable, I think!

Did you see any of them?
Reply 3
Original post by beabird
Hey, I might be doing Animation Production, nice to meet you :smile:
Are you asking about what the different accommodation is like or about costs and such things?

And nice to meet you too :smile: :smile:
Reply 4
Ah okay! I didn't see them in person on the open day but there's a video of them on the aub website here: http://aub.ac.uk/apply/accommodation/halls-residence/
hopefully someone who has stayed in George Close and Winton Halls will give their view soon

I wasn't sure about East and West house either, as I heard they are very noisy and the walls are quite thin! However, I live in South England and think I'd be unlikely to get priority for that or the other near campus accommodation anyway (they have priority system). So, I will probably apply to the new Madeira Road accommodation and maybe if I have to put a second choice I'll put Winton Halls. :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by beabird
Ah okay! I didn't see them in person on the open day but there's a video of them on the aub website here: http://aub.ac.uk/apply/accommodation/halls-residence/
hopefully someone who has stayed in George Close and Winton Halls will give their view soon

I wasn't sure about East and West house either, as I heard they are very noisy and the walls are quite thin! However, I live in South England and think I'd be unlikely to get priority for that or the other near campus accommodation anyway (they have priority system). So, I will probably apply to the new Madeira Road accommodation and maybe if I have to put a second choice I'll put Winton Halls. :smile:

Hey! I'm at BU but I live just over the road from the new halls and they look bloody nice! I dont know how they compare to the other AUB accomodation but there's frequent + near buses to BU (and thus AUB) but they're really close to the BU halls of residence and if it wasn't for the park I think you could people watch everyone going in and out of the clubs, so good if you like clubbing.
Reply 6
Original post by amityriot
Hey! I'm at BU but I live just over the road from the new halls and they look bloody nice! I dont know how they compare to the other AUB accomodation but there's frequent + near buses to BU (and thus AUB) but they're really close to the BU halls of residence and if it wasn't for the park I think you could people watch everyone going in and out of the clubs, so good if you like clubbing.

Hey, thanks! They do look very nice! And well :biggrin: unfortunately I am not into clubbing, I have never been and it is not something I want to do really. :redface: Do you think those halls will be a bad idea for me to apply to because of this? Is it very noisy at night time? Although I expect these places all have thicker walls than the on campus halls!
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 7
Fair enough! And its far enough away from the clubs and the BU halls to not really hear noise from either id say, especially from inside, plus its right next to the police station. It is on the road that everyone takes into town however, between the bu halls and the clubs. I have no basis for comparison though as i have no idea of the AUB halls currently
Hi!! Ive just accepted an offer to do Animation Production BA at AUB! Really glad to see this post :smile: Likewise Im really not a clubber and I don't want to go to a place which is constantly noisy and loud. If we're doing animation we'll want those days where we can also settle down and work. I was considering applying to Madeira Halls first, but Im starting to consider private accommodation. It seems cheaper too!
Reply 9
Original post by amityriot
Fair enough! And its far enough away from the clubs and the BU halls to not really hear noise from either id say, especially from inside, plus its right next to the police station. It is on the road that everyone takes into town however, between the bu halls and the clubs. I have no basis for comparison though as i have no idea of the AUB halls currently

That's alright! Thanks for advice anyway, it was good to know.

Original post by chantelliwelli
Hi!! Ive just accepted an offer to do Animation Production BA at AUB! Really glad to see this post :smile: Likewise Im really not a clubber and I don't want to go to a place which is constantly noisy and loud. If we're doing animation we'll want those days where we can also settle down and work. I was considering applying to Madeira Halls first, but Im starting to consider private accommodation. It seems cheaper too!

Congrats on your offer :smile:, and great! I'm happy to meet another like me. It will be fun to do drawing trips as well, or drawing jam things. Yeah I'm considering Madeira or Private now too. I doubt I will get into the other halls really if they have priority, but then Madeira has en suites which is cool :biggrin: haha
Reply 10
It's hard to imagine what the halls will be like as nobody has been in them before I guess
Reply 11
Original post by chantelliwelli

Hey, lovely!
Congratulations on your offer :smile: I've accepted my offer to do Photography (BA) at AUB starting September. I was also glad to see this post, haha! I've applied for Madeira Halls as my first halls choice. My reason for doing this is because I think being in the city centre (or near it, at least) and the beach is great! I know you're worried about noise levels, but when I was down in Bourne for my interview, my paps and I drove down the road that Madeira is being built on and even though people say that it's a route to take from clubs and things, it seems that the noise levels won't be too bad. I personally think it's the best option, especially as it's a new build! Have you had a look at George Close or Winton? They seem to look like slightly more out-of-the-way options? They're also closer to the uni!x
Hey, i'm doing the makeup for media and performance course. I've applied to Winton Halls which look really nice, double beds and en suite, or a studio room if you want to pay extra. It's right between the uni and the seaside as well which is good!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi everyone :smile:
I just completed my halls application and put Madeira Road as my first choice and on campus as my second. I really want to be around a lot of people as I am an international student coming from Florida, so Madeira Road seemed like the obvious choice I think :smile:
Reply 14
Hi everyone. I have just been offered a place at Madiera Road, so hope to see you there!
Original post by FlorrieD
Hi everyone. I have just been offered a place at Madiera Road, so hope to see you there!

Im about to accept my offer for Madeira! Ive spent the last 30 minutes looking at Google Maps for stores and everything.
Original post by Heckenstein
Im about to accept my offer for Madeira! Ive spent the last 30 minutes looking at Google Maps for stores and everything.

I've just accepted my offer too! I think there's an Asda Superstore nearby, or there's definitely one in Bournemouth, but that's all I know :smile:
Reply 17
I still haven't heard anything! Does this mean I haven't got a place? :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by kmkmkm
I still haven't heard anything! Does this mean I haven't got a place? :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think there's waiting lists! I've heard different things though, some have said that everyone in halls has already been given their place, and others have rung AUB who have said that they're on a waiting list for halls etc. I hope that makes sense :smile:

There's a lot of discussion about accomidation on the AUB Facebook groups if that helps?
Reply 19
Thanks so much! Fingers crossed there is a waiting list! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending