The Student Room Group

PGCE Secondary - Computing with ICT/Computer Science, Interview help!

Hi all,

I just received an email inviting me for an interview for PGCE (secondary computing with ICT). It's been a few years since I've completed my degree - and this past year I've taken time off work and just been using it to gain experience really, so I'm panicking.

I have around 10 days to prepare for it, the sections are as following:

A written task (Is this computing related info or just generally to check grammar/spelling?)

A short multiple choice test (Difficult? Any recommended books/sites?)

A group task (Again any info on this will be appreciated)

A short presentation to an audience (I'm dreading this part the most :| Will they ask me questions at the end to catch me out? They've given me a list of topics including "how does binary code work?")

An individual interview (I'm quite okay with this but again if you have any info I would appreciate it :smile: )

Has anyone been through this interview process for this specific subject or doing their PGCE - if so please input your opinions.

Thank you!

Sam x
Reply 1
Hey!
Yay for doing it and cs, where have you applied?
I've been accepted to Southampton to start in September.
I think what you need to remember is that none of this is there to catch you out, it's just there to see how you present yourself to other people, how you present written work and that you really are enthusiastic about the subject and teaching as a career. Don't get too stressed out about it, they wouldn't give you the interview if they didn't think you had potential and they're not looking for the finished article but for someone with potential to be the finished article!
Read a bit about changes to the curriculum and specifically ict and cs, the written task is more about your written English skills than anything else but obviously still make sure it all makes sense!
Just chill, be yourself and know that you will know enough to present yourself well as long as you keep your mind focused!
Good luck!
Reply 2
Original post by Ratchit99
Hey!
Yay for doing it and cs, where have you applied?
I've been accepted to Southampton to start in September.
I think what you need to remember is that none of this is there to catch you out, it's just there to see how you present yourself to other people, how you present written work and that you really are enthusiastic about the subject and teaching as a career. Don't get too stressed out about it, they wouldn't give you the interview if they didn't think you had potential and they're not looking for the finished article but for someone with potential to be the finished article!
Read a bit about changes to the curriculum and specifically ict and cs, the written task is more about your written English skills than anything else but obviously still make sure it all makes sense!
Just chill, be yourself and know that you will know enough to present yourself well as long as you keep your mind focused!
Good luck!

I've applied to Brunel, Roehampton and IOE

I'm so nervous all these parts of the interview, sounds like it's gonna last 3-4 hours :|

Thanks for the reassurance!
Reply 3
Good luck, sure you'll be fine. As I said it's more about you showing your interest and that you can present than anything else! Just make sure you've read tes and guardian education section so you know what's going on in the world of education :smile:
Original post by Sam89
A written task (Is this computing related info or just generally to check grammar/spelling?)

The latter.
I'm doing PGCE CS I got accepted on the course have passed my skills tests, and now completing my SKE course. So happy :smile:
Reply 6
Hi,

I have my first interview coming up for secondary CS PGCE,

what should I expect in the interview?
Depends where your interview is. As all uni's are different. Mine a group task, explain what a raspberry pi is and what python is. Explain difference between teaching and learning, what a while loop is.
We also had a short written test and completed a GCSE CS paper.
Also had a presentation to do which wasn't that hard. I got told there an then that I had a place!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending