The Student Room Group

Today is the last day in the UK where only heterosexual couples can marry

Scroll to see replies

Hurrah! This is a good thing! :yep:

Original post by Quantex
Bring it on.

I've got four gay weddings to attend this summer. It's going to be fantastic fabulous.

Fixed :tongue:
About time.
Reply 42
Original post by Welsh_insomniac
I don't get the love for wanting to me given the option for marriage. You don't want the state to decided whether you can get married or not then why do you want the state to recognise your relationship?

Marriage is a dead end, a conservative backwards relic from our past. I don't see why we don't just get rid of it altogether.

The problam is (well, was) that the state would recognise a heterosexual marriage but not a homosexual one. Either scrapping marriage or allowing marriage for every couple would be fine, as long as everyone is treated the same.
Original post by gagaslilmonsteruk
You've clearly never met many gay people. Gays are like multipack crisps. You get Camp flavour, you get diva flavour, you get butch flavour etc etc

Literally the best way to put it I've ever heard!
".. when only people recognised as having different sex can marry". There, fixed that for you.

LGBTI people have always been able to marry... it just had to be someone who the state recognised as being a different sex.

Obviously, that's not ideal, but that's changing. Hooray.

Now, about extending civil partnership to people recognised as being different sex...
Original post by alow
The problam is (well, was) that the state would recognise a heterosexual marriage but not a homosexual one. Either scrapping marriage or allowing marriage for every couple would be fine, as long as everyone is treated the same.

Marriage is slowly becoming irrelevant though. No one really cares about marriage any more. This would have been a massive stride if it was done 100 years ago or even 50 years ago. I think this is just the Church's last stand of trying to gain more followers. In less than 25 years no one is going to care about marriage and I doubt it's going to make an ounce of difference.
I think it's good, should be in the news more. The embarrassing parts of the gay marriage debate like people saying they might marry their son was in the news a lot, so it's a shame this isn't.
Reply 47
Original post by Welsh_insomniac
Marriage is slowly becoming irrelevant though. No one really cares about marriage any more. This would have been a massive stride if it was done 100 years ago or even 50 years ago. I think this is just the Church's last stand of trying to gain more followers. In less than 25 years no one is going to care about marriage and I doubt it's going to make an ounce of difference.

I really don't think you understand the issue.

The issue is that not everyone was being treated equally, not that getting married is important.
Who cares?
Reply 49
So the practical change of this is what? I'm not against it per say, I just think it's completely unimportant. Gay couples have been allowed civil partnerships for a decade now and this law (to my knowledge) changes absolutely nothing with respect to the legal rights gay couples can have.

So my opinion is just one of complete ambivalence I don't understand the people objecting to this, and I don't understand the people fighting for it. Take a step back and see that the whole thing is a debate over what we can officially call this legal agreement. Too much of everyones time has been wasted by people on both sides who think this is anything significant. I mean... I have absolutely no objections to it whatsoever, but nobody has convinced me that this is anything important.
(edited 10 years ago)
Any religious argument against gay marriage is irrelevant since marriage far predates religion.
So long as they don't associate it with Islam, I could care less. This country is already corrupted anyway.
Original post by Abdul-Karim
So long as they don't associate it with Islam, I could care less.

You could?

So how much do you care?
Reply 53
Original post by Abdul-Karim
So long as they don't associate it with Islam, I could care less. This country is already corrupted anyway.

Yeah but it's that good corruption that makes you feel all warm and fuzzy inside :cute:
Reply 54
Original post by EarthlingyThingy
It is a victory for democracy and that's it really. Marriage is an out-dated and stupid concept that won't exist in a few hundred years. People are becoming more and more liberated and less inclined to bind themselves to the will of an invisible dictator.

I will celebrate the victory for democracy, however. And look forward to hearing the tides of complaint from the religious gutter-trash.

What has marriage got to do with binding yourself to the will of an invisible dictator? If you were talking about a baptism/Christening/confirmation, I'd get you. All marriage binds is your finances to your other half. Which can be very useful, which is one reason why people do it.
Original post by RomnCoton
Faggots should stay in civilised partnerships.

People talk about the Bible everyday on TSR. Were there any fags in the Old or New Testament? No.

Unless you count Mary whom asked God to get her pregnant without sex because she didn't like the cock.

Original post by RomnCoton
Report me for it. I am grown up and that's my view. It's called an opinion; blame the freedom of speech.

Pretty ridiculous that you think it's your opinion that's objectionable more so then the derogatory terms you used to convey it.
Original post by Bubzeh
Only me who's against this?

Nope

I don't like the idea of gay marriage and not going to be PC about it
Reply 57
Marriage is archaic.
Marriage is about starting a family, ergo it is a heterosexual relationship. What it's really been about in Western Civilisation is a firm commitment from a man to a women that he wont run for the hills and abandon his wife and kids, but what sense does this have between 2 men or 2 women? 2 gay people who 'love' each other have as much reason to want to get married as 2 heterosexual friends who 'love' each other do. What if I 'love' 2 people, can I get married to both?

In reality gay people have a chip on their shoulder that their relationship isnt as valid as a heterosexual one and have got it into their heads that they're being 'denied' marriage.

Are people aware about the average length of gay relationships and about the average number of partners a gay person has over their lifetime? "few homosexual relationships last longer than two years, with many men reporting hundreds of lifetime partners.”. What kind of marriage will such people have? The truth is that since gay people can not start a family, their is no reason for them to stay together for life and hence the entire concept of marriage makes no sense...

It's the zeitgeist however and it's not really going to change much, but I do find it very strange that all sense has been lost in a sea of talk about 'wuv' and 'equality'. Most people will continue to see a genuine marriage as between a man and a woman, for perfectly good reason.
(edited 10 years ago)
Because the only thing is quite irrelevant. There shouldn't even need to be a discussion or 'debate' on this.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending