The Student Room Group

Today is the last day in the UK where only heterosexual couples can marry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by RomnCoton
Faggots should stay in civilised partnerships.

People talk about the Bible everyday on TSR. Were there any fags in the Old or New Testament? No.

Unless you count Mary whom asked God to get her pregnant without sex because she didn't like the cock.

LOL @ civilised partnerships.
[QUOTE=Zürich;46929116]Marriage is about starting a family, ergo it is a heterosexual relationship. What it's really been about in Western Civilisation is a firm commitment from a man to a women that he wont run for the hills and abandon his wife and kids, but what sense does this have between 2 men or 2 women? 2 gay people who 'love' each other have as much reason to want to get married as 2 heterosexual friends who 'love' each other do. What if I 'love' 2 people, can I get married to both?

Because what, only heterosexual couples ever raise kids? :rolleyes:
Reply 62
Original post by gagaslilmonsteruk
What is it exactly that upsets you about 2 people being in love and happy regardless of gender? I fail to see what can be so offensive about it.

I've decided to filter that obscene, disgusting, filthy word you use and I WILL report you for it. Your homophobic views do not belong in modern society? Doctor who clearly needs to come and send you back to the 50s when those obscene views were 'acceptable', maybe you'd feel more at ease then? Maybe then you would grow up and become more civilised as well

You've clearly never met many gay people. Gays are like multipack crisps. You get Camp flavour, you get diva flavour, you get butch flavour etc etc

Well said you also get very normal, boring , average, plain just the same as everyone else. I cannot believe that some folk still believe that all gay men walk around in arseless chaps with pink fluffy handcuffs and handlebar moustaches screaming "kiss me boys", in a high pitched screech! where are they from? 1970? Mars?
Reply 63
Original post by Zürich
Marriage is about starting a family, ergo it is a heterosexual relationship. What it's really been about in Western Civilisation is a firm commitment from a man to a women that he wont run for the hills and abandon his wife and kids, but what sense does this have between 2 men or 2 women? 2 gay people who 'love' each other have as much reason to want to get married as 2 heterosexual friends who 'love' each other do. What if I 'love' 2 people, can I get married to both?

In reality gay people have a chip on their shoulder that their relationship isnt as valid as a heterosexual one and have got it into their heads that they're being 'denied' marriage.

Are people aware about the average length of gay relationships and about the average number of partners a gay person has over their lifetime? "few homosexual relationships last longer than two years, with many men reporting hundreds of lifetime partners.”. What kind of marriage will such people have? The truth is that since gay people can not start a family, their is no reason for them to stay together for life and hence the entire concept of marriage makes no sense...

It's the zeitgeist however and it's not really going to change much, but I do find it very strange that all sense has been lost in a sea of talk about 'wuv' and 'equality'. Most people will continue to see a genuine marriage as between a man and a woman, for perfectly good reason.

I don't think it's for you to decide what marriage is and isn't about to other people. Does it affect you? No. Get a grip.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Bubzeh
Only me who's against this?

Me,.

Marriage is all about getting together and spending the rest of your life with your loved one as-well as having KIDS. Same sex marriages are just plain stupid! Gays and Lesbians need to sort themselves out. As generations pass, they just keep on ****ing up even more and more.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 65
What ever next!

They'll be allowed to have kids next. Goodness me.
Reply 66
Original post by HamzaH1996
Me,.

Marriage is all about getting together and spending the rest of your life with your loved one as-well as having KIDS. Same sex marriages are just plain stupid! Gays and Lesbians need to sort themselves out. As generations pass, they just keep on f***ing up even more and more.

Who gave you the mandate to decide what marriage should mean to all people? Get over yourself.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 67
I think it is wonderful. Human rights should not be determined by a human's physical ability, religion, race or sexuality. At the end of the day we all share the fact that we are human. I only wish that my darling uncle and his lovely partner of 30 years had lived to see this day, he drove me to my wedding and I would have loved to do the same for him.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 68
As long as they're not forcing any religious institution to marry them, I don't really care.

I don't take seriously those happy-go-lucky religious institutions who carry it out anyway so who cares.
Original post by euphful
Who gave you the mandate to decide what marriage should mean to all people? Get over yourself.

Hahahahaa, no. How about YOU get over yourself? Do you even know what the REAL definition of marriage is?

Marriage: the formal union of a man and a woman, typically as recognized by law, by which they become husband and wife.
"she has three children from a previous marriage"

Now please, take your nonsense elsewhere.
About time too!
Original post by Zürich
Marriage is about starting a family, ergo it is a heterosexual relationship. What it's really been about in Western Civilisation is a firm commitment from a man to a women that he wont run for the hills and abandon his wife and kids, but what sense does this have between 2 men or 2 women? 2 gay people who 'love' each other have as much reason to want to get married as 2 heterosexual friends who 'love' each other do. What if I 'love' 2 people, can I get married to both?

In reality gay people have a chip on their shoulder that their relationship isnt as valid as a heterosexual one and have got it into their heads that they're being 'denied' marriage.

Are people aware about the average length of gay relationships and about the average number of partners a gay person has over their lifetime? "few homosexual relationships last longer than two years, with many men reporting hundreds of lifetime partners.”. What kind of marriage will such people have? The truth is that since gay people can not start a family, their is no reason for them to stay together for life and hence the entire concept of marriage makes no sense...

It's the zeitgeist however and it's not really going to change much, but I do find it very strange that all sense has been lost in a sea of talk about 'wuv' and 'equality'. Most people will continue to see a genuine marriage as between a man and a woman, for perfectly good reason.

What about infertile straight couples? Can they marry?

The meaning and purpose of institutions change. Now marriage is, and has been for a long time, just a gesture of love and commitment. Gay people can love and commit to each other as much as straight people. They should therefore be able to make a declaration of that in the same way. There's no reason why they shouldn't be able to.

See at 4:54.

Original post by Ronove
What has marriage got to do with binding yourself to the will of an invisible dictator? If you were talking about a baptism/Christening/confirmation, I'd get you. All marriage binds is your finances to your other half. Which can be very useful, which is one reason why people do it.

I understand that. I am not against the notion, merely the ideological foundation. The invisible dictator was in-reference to marriage being an event, act or w.e. that takes place traditionally as a religious ceremony.
Reply 73
Original post by ryan9900
Here's a fun fact:

You can support gay marriage, but you don't have to.

You can have an opinion, but don't force that opinion on other people.

Simple.

Why force the state to redefine marriage and make discrimination against gays illegal. Its illegal to not rent your house to gays or refuse them service
Original post by EarthlingyThingy
I understand that. I am not against the notion, merely the ideological foundation. The invisible dictator was in-reference to marriage being an event, act or w.e. that takes place traditionally as a religious ceremony.

It doesn't in France. Legal marriage there is created in a civil ceremony for everyone. If you wish to have a religious event on top of that, you can, but the legally relevant event is not religious.

The same should be the case here imho.
Reply 75
Hahahahaa, no. How about YOU get over yourself? Do you even know what the REAL definition of marriage is?

Marriage: the formal union of a man and a woman, typically as recognized by law, by which they become husband and wife.
"she has three children from a previous marriage"

Now please, take your nonsense elsewhere.

Well that definition, in this country at least, has now changed to include same-sex couples. Sorry!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 76
Original post by James222
Why force the state to redefine marriage and make discrimination against gays illegal. Its illegal to not rent your house to gays or refuse them service

As it should be.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Me,.

Marriage is all about getting together and spending the rest of your life with your loved one as-well as having KIDS. Same sex marriages are just plain stupid! Gays and Lesbians need to sort themselves out. As generations pass, they just keep on f***ing up even more and more.

Do you also support forcing anyone who is infertile, older than 50ish or have no desire to have kids to separate/ prevent them form getting married?
Reply 78
So silly that people are still protesting against gay-marriage in this country when it's as good as here and will never go away. You're all wasting your time! :colone:
Me,.

Same-sex couples can also raise children, no?

Original post by Bubzeh
What ever next!

They'll be allowed to have kids next. Goodness me.

:lolwut: Not sure if serious...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending