The Student Room Group

Special Support Grant (SSG) and Disabled Students Allowance(DSA) general questions

Hello,

I am currently in the process of applying for student finance for my final year of university, and I was wondering whether anyone could help me with to my application in regards to DSA and SSG.

I was in the process of completing my BSc in the academic year of 2012/13 when I had to take a year's intermission due to mental health issues. I am now on course to return to university in October.

I had an email from the wellbeing team at my university saying that due to my mental health I can apply for DSA (which I am in the process of doing), but as I was applying for student finance I also noticed SSG. I believe I fall under the eligability category of

"You are waiting to go back on a course after an illness or caring responsibility that has ended"

To prove this I need to provide a letter from university to confirm the suspension of my course was authorised as well as evidence of my illness.

I am able to provide both of these things, however I was curious about the wording of the above quote where it says illness, would my mental health fall under this, and would my years intermission count as a suspension of my course, or is it just for students who fall gravely ill, for example they go into a coma for a period of time and the university needs to suspend their course.

Finally, if applying for SSG is right for me, how do I go about doing this, I have read through a 34 page document and all I can gather from this is that I need to provide evidence of my UK nationality as well as a letter from my university and medical evidence as previously said above. Is there any more to this, for example are there any forms I need to fill out in addition to this, and if not where do I need to send my medical and university evidence to? Would my mental health be enough to justify a special support grant or is that what the disabled students allowance is for?

There is not very much information on the Student Finance Application website to help me with this and I would appreciate any advice, help or comments anyone here can offer, thank you very much.
Reply 1
Hi. How did this turn out? I'm in a similar situation right now, except my university hasn't given me any information. It would help to get some extra support, as just financial stress really affects my mental illness. I'm going to be in therapy etc through NHS whilst attending the course, which means any part time work I do to afford my flat will have to be reduced in hours. In fact, if I have to work too much extra at all I won't be able to handle it. I cannot live with other people due to my problems, so really need to stay in my flat. It'll be £137.50 a week exc. bills. I know plenty of halls of residence which are more or less the same cost, except with bills included. Just 4 hours a week work will knock £28.80 off, if I can handle it. But Internet, water, gas, electricity and tv license probably work out at least £70 pcm. I do need a fully functioning laptop for the CS part of my degree though. Did they help you with a laptop? Based on your experience, do you think I'll get any help? Did you?

Latest

Trending

Trending