The Student Room Group
Libeskind Graduate Centre
London Metropolitan University
London

What kind of job did you find with a BA at london Met???

Scroll to see replies

Heartbreaker
The OU isnt a joke at all.

Sorry then, I must have had the wrong impression of what the OU actually is.
Please accept my most sincere apologies.
Libeskind Graduate Centre
London Metropolitan University
London
Reply 61
jenny-de
Hi Guys!

I just graduated with a BA International Business with London Met? Is it possible to find a job quite easily? What kind of salary should I expect?

Thanks for replying! :wink:

How was the course? did you enjoy it?

I'm going to be doing International Business too but I'm doing my course at Brunel University
Reply 62
Some people here are just absolutely clueless.

I am going to london metropolitan this year to study Pharmaceutical Science Bsc and they needed 2 grade CC's minimum which I did obtain.

I've visited the university and I wasn't so amused by some of the buildings but the science centre is top of the range

And 90% of its core science courses has full accreditation and exemption of Royal society of chemistry, biology and environmental sciences. So please cut the crap because the unemployment rate of this university is only 19% most of them coming from 'soft' courses.

And I can only speak for the science department when I say this: The lecturers in the Human and health sciences department are so friendly and very intelligent most of them have Ph.D's in their special subjects. This university is getting better every year and as time progresses it will definitely rank a lot higher.

At the end of the day it will matter on what degree you have and your personal achievements, that is the most important thing an employer will look at.
Reply 63
Moz29386
Some people here are just absolutely clueless.

I am going to london metropolitan this year to study Pharmaceutical Science Bsc and they needed 2 grade CC's minimum which I did obtain.

I've visited the university and I wasn't so amused by some of the buildings but the science centre is top of the range

And 90% of its core science courses has full accreditation and exemption of Royal society of chemistry, biology and environmental sciences. So please cut the crap because the unemployment rate of this university is only 19% most of them coming from 'soft' courses.

And I can only speak for the science department when I say this: The lecturers in the Human and health sciences department are so friendly and very intelligent most of them have Ph.D's in their special subjects. This university is getting better every year and as time progresses it will definitely rank a lot higher.

At the end of the day it will matter on what degree you have and your personal achievements, that is the most important thing an employer will look at.

Hi. It was interesting reading your post. Pharmaceutical Science- is that similiar to Pharmacology? I want to study that and I am considering London Met. Is it possible for you to recommend whether I should put that as my choice for next year? =]
Moz29386
I am going to london metropolitan this year to study Pharmaceutical Science Bsc and they needed 2 grade CC's minimum which I did obtain

That sure sounds like a high quality student body.:woo:
Reply 65
I got a good job as a trainee Chartered Accountant after completing Accounting and Finance. I can admit that Met isn't a great university but succeeding in your potential career is about far more than a uni degree.

Besides, my job didn't really require a special degree, just 300 UCAS points (which with all due respect, the typical met student doesn't have), ability to pass psychometric test, a good personality and an ability to communicate and sell yourself.

I won't name my firm but i work with graduates from the likes of LSE, Imperial, Durham, Warwick, Newcastle, Cardiff, Leeds and City. I haven't even had the opportunity to work with most of the others!

On the other hand, i also work with trainees who haven't even gone to uni and have come up through doing other qualifications and gaining work experience. Life isn't really as simple as getting a uni degree and following a set or standard path.
Reefer
I got a good job as a trainee .... i also work with trainees who haven't even gone to uni .

A degree from the London Met is perfect for jobs where you dont need a degree. :woo:
Reply 67
flugestuge
A degree from the London Met is perfect for jobs where you dont need a degree. :woo:

LOL.

Don't know about that but I definitely needed a degree to get into my firm to do the ACA unless I had an AAT! :smile:

But let's face it, I'm in one of the biggest graduate recruiting jobs in this country (despite not NEEDING a degree to get into it) and one that pays well above median salary for grads.

But i guess you're right in that this profession from the top down doesn't discriminate against whatever kind of degree you've got.
Reefer

But let's face it, I'm in one of the biggest graduate recruiting jobs in this country (despite not NEEDING a degree to get into it) and one that pays well above median salary for grads.

Really? I thought accountancy started on quite low pay, 20kish if you arent in london, know its a good job in the long term, just thought starting salary wasnt great
Turdburger
Really? I thought accountancy started on quite low pay, 20kish if you arent in london

That is nearly twice the median pay for London Met graduates.:woo:
Reply 70
Turdburger
Really? I thought accountancy started on quite low pay, 20kish if you arent in london, know its a good job in the long term, just thought starting salary wasnt great

£20kish outside London is just about right, maybe even lower but it largely depends on the size of firm and the type of clients it has. But let's face it, that's quite good for outside London! You have to remember that there aren't many jobs outside of London that'll pay THAT much more anyway.

Accountancy is also slightly different in that during the first 3 yrs, your firm shoulders up to £6k per year on your professional tuition and up to another £8k on giving you study leave in which time they could otherwise send you on audits and overcharge clients :wink: (Only rough estimates based on what ppl have told me. Haven't been working long enough to know for sure. Altho my firm said something ridiculous like £70k over 3 yrs which sounded like bollox to me. Probably includes lots of other crappy costs)

It's post qualification that you realise the real benefit when the firm doesn't have those overheads. If you started on £26k per year (you'll have to be a trainee in London to get that), you'll at least make £46k after your 3 yrs. A lot of ppl say that you double your starting salary but that isn't 100% accurate! Obviously, if your at a regional office, you'd get the same RELATIVE pay increase.

Of course, if you're at a big 4 firm, you start at around £29k in audit which is the same area as me (I'm not at big 4) and post qual salary is at least £50k. But with big 4 you have to work much harder and put a lot of time into your work and expect lots of unpaid overtime.
Reply 71
Original post by exiled-student
Why are people so touchy here.

I went to London Met, so I know. Most people who graduated same time as me, still looking for professional jobs. People can get jobs in JP morgan as admin staff or receptionist... no big deal.

I was lucky to get a place in kings for masters and was offered a job straight away, but given the competition nowdays I doubt anyone graduating from London met will get a job paying anything more 20k.

Lets face it, whats the pass rate at London Met? How many people actually leave with a 2:1?? if you guys can be amongst that tiny portion who actually leave London Met with a 2:1 than good luck else stop kidding yourselves.

Sorry, I am not being negative I am just trying to make you guys understand the reality, which sounds harsh but better than someone told you,

Anyway Good luck guys. May the force be with you :rolleyes:

Well just to let you know that I graduated from London Met and got a job in Deloitte in 5 months time! Do you get it now? You probably know what Deloitte is so I don't wanna mention more about it. My friend who also graduated with me works for RBS as a trader! u probably don't wanna hear any more from me.....
Reply 72
I can't say I have any first hand experience of it; but I do know that at one point last year, my company had two identical candidates for a business development manager position, same experience, same degree etc. the only difference was where they came from; one came from City and one came from London Met - and purely based on that, the choice was made to hire the person from City.

Not sure how useful it is, but I suppose it gives some insight into the mind of employers.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending