The Student Room Group

Transformed/Transgenic?

Hey guys, does anybody have two short definitions that distinguishes transformed organisms from transgenic organisms?

So far I have:

"Transformed organisms are those that have had their DNA altered by genetic engineering."

"Transgenic organisms are those that have had a gene from another organism inserted into their DNA."

1. Surely all transformed organisms aren't genetically engineered? For example bacteria exchanging plasmids.

2. Is an organism transgenic if it has had a gene inserted from the same species? Or must it he from another species.

Fairly pedantic I know, but the joys of A-Level mark schemes. Thanks in advance.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
1) it doesn't have to be altered by genetic engineering, DNA can be taken up from the environment in bacterial species, as one counter example.

2) The exogenous gene's origin doesn't necessarily have to be from another organism, but for the use of genetically engineering, it quite often comes from another species. For example, expressing human insulin gene in bacteria.

If you write out your own definition based on what I've told you, it'll help you understand and remember them easier :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending