The Student Room Group

I'm currently in year 11 a and want to study medicine

I wanted to know, other than getting good grades of course, what i can do to help with a future medicine application ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
Work experience and voluntary work is a must.
Reply 2
Original post by Anya_98
I wanted to know, other than getting good grades of course, what i can do to help with a future medicine application ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Really have a good think about committing to medicine - it takes a lot of time and effort to apply and organise - but definitely will be worth it! Try local GPs and your nearest hospital for a placement, and definitely think about volunteer work at a care home. Definitely focus on the grades though, and researching entry tests for certain Med schools e.g. UKCAT, BMAT is worth doing. Good Luck!
Reply 3
Thank you !! That really helps :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by jmheath
Really have a good think about committing to medicine - it takes a lot of time and effort to apply and organise - but definitely will be worth it! Try local GPs and your nearest hospital for a placement, and definitely think about volunteer work at a care home. Definitely focus on the grades though, and researching entry tests for certain Med schools e.g. UKCAT, BMAT is worth doing. Good Luck!

I have to say that this is truly fantastic advice, however posh it may be.
Reply 5
Original post by nmw95
I have to say that this is truly fantastic advice, however posh it may be.

How is that posh? That's standard advice...
Reply 6
Original post by Anya_98
Thank you !! That really helps :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posh? It's basically just the standard stuff you're expected to do to be competitive and is great advice to give someone.
Reply 7
apply wisely. Don't go for Oxbridge, Imperial or UCL if you don't have realistic chances of getting in. Bear in mind that EVERY medical school is good
Reply 8
Calm down guys, it was only a joke! Me and jmheath go to the same school haha
Reply 9
What would be the best way to get work experience ? And would it be better/easier to get work experience in a GP surgery or in a hospital ? :smile: thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Maybe try speaking with your school? Definitely speak to your careers or UCAS advisor if you have one at your school. A lot of teaching hospitals have education centres which you can write to, and they will help arrange a placement for you, but try their websites. Any experience is good tbh, but I'd say hospital (on the wards) and care home experience is useful.

Write a covering letter to some local care homes and drop it in, hopefully you'll get a response.

I never managed to get experience at a GP's surgery because of the whole patient-doctor confidentiality issue, so don't be disheartened if they swiftly say no!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Thank you ! I will keep looking for placements :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
As well as care homes, try the hospital for volunteering. I've been a ward volunteer at my local hospital for over a year now and its great! 4 hours a week talking to patients and watching what the nurses and doctors are doing :smile: really builds your "bedside manner" too, and you just generally get to see how everyone in the hospital works together.
Reply 13
Buy a stethoscope as soon as possible. My flatmate recommends a Cardiology III as a good entry level `scope You should also seriously consider an opthalmoscope and a set of tuning forks (you'll find out why!!)
Reply 14
Ahh okay ill have to get looking for them, and can i ask why ? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Original post by RToll88
Buy a stethoscope as soon as possible. My flatmate recommends a Cardiology III as a good entry level `scope You should also seriously consider an opthalmoscope and a set of tuning forks (you'll find out why!!)

Don't listen to this. Save your money.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending