The Student Room Group

OCR M2 Collisions

Particles A and B , of masses 0.1kg and 0.2kg respectively can move on a smooth horizontal plane. Initially A has speed 3 ms^-1 directly towards B, which is at rest. The collision between A and B is perfectly Elastic. Find the speeds of A and B after the collision.

Ive got 0.3= 0.1(v1) + 0.2(V2) and KE before = 0.45J so from this I put KE after is equal to 0.45= 0.5x0.1x(V1)^2 + 0.5x0.2x(V2)^2

When I tryed to solve simultaneously I get the wrong speeds and I can't tell where I've gone wrong.
Original post by Trippy
Particles A and B , of masses 0.1kg and 0.2kg respectively can move on a smooth horizontal plane. Initially A has speed 3 ms^-1 directly towards B, which is at rest. The collision between A and B is perfectly Elastic. Find the speeds of A and B after the collision.

Ive got 0.3= 0.1(v1) + 0.2(V2) and KE before = 0.45J so from this I put KE after is equal to 0.45= 0.5x0.1x(V1)^2 + 0.5x0.2x(V2)^2

When I tryed to solve simultaneously I get the wrong speeds and I can't tell where I've gone wrong.

It would be easier to note that e=1 since the collision is perfectly elastic, and you know the definition of e in terms of the speeds.
Reply 2
Ahh that makes it alot simpler Thank You! :smile:

Latest