The Student Room Group
Coventry University
Coventry University
Coventry
Visit website

Accommodation/ Maintenance Loan & Grant

Hi

I am planning on studying at Coventry Uni doing Youth Work next year and I was wondering where is the cheapest or best student accommodation? Currently, the only thing that I can bank on is Maintenance Grants and Loans to pay for the accommodation and I was wondering how people budget money if they don't have a job, but have to live in student accommodation as I am coming from Northern Ireland haha.

Cheers for any advice :biggrin:
If it helps, my boyfriend came from Northern Ireland and this meant he was not entitled to the any of the bursaries/scholarships. Because he applied late, he got Singer Hall. With 500 from his parents every term and the money he has leftover after accommodation prices, he has about £90 a week I think! It's enough but it goes pretty quickly (and you gotta remember he has that extra $500)! This is all from him being entitled to the full grant and loan possible :smile:

(Frankly, Singer Hall is expensive enough but it looks absolutely amazing and though Priory is around the cheapest he often finds the food terrible and has to go out with his mates afterwards and it really doesn't feel clean. I go home feeling like I need a second shower haha! - I might be high maintenance though so I'd be careful in taking advice from me hehe)
(edited 10 years ago)
Coventry University
Coventry University
Coventry
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by laurajanecurtis
If it helps, my boyfriend came from Northern Ireland and this meant he was not entitled to the any of the bursaries/scholarships. Because he applied late, he got Singer Hall. With 500 from his parents every term and the money he has leftover after accommodation prices, he has about £90 a week I think! It's enough but it goes pretty quickly (and you gotta remember he has that extra $500)! This is all from him being entitled to the full grant and loan possible :smile:

(Frankly, Singer Hall is expensive enough but it looks absolutely amazing and though Priory is around the cheapest he often finds the food terrible and has to go out with his mates afterwards and it really doesn't feel clean. I go home feeling like I need a second shower haha! - I might be high maintenance though so I'd be careful in taking advice from me hehe)

I have actually been looking at Singer Hall and I thought that it looked like the best out of ones that I could afford from the Loans and Grants, and I have heard that the food in Priory Hall isn't the greatest. I really think that the obvious thing to do would be to look for a job to have extra income, but I suppose that is every students idea hahaha. I have been looking and people are saying that they are living off £25 a week, but that seems a bit low hahaha, but I suppose I shall have to see hahahaha :P
Original post by smackessy110
I have actually been looking at Singer Hall and I thought that it looked like the best out of ones that I could afford from the Loans and Grants, and I have heard that the food in Priory Hall isn't the greatest. I really think that the obvious thing to do would be to look for a job to have extra income, but I suppose that is every students idea hahaha. I have been looking and people are saying that they are living off £25 a week, but that seems a bit low hahaha, but I suppose I shall have to see hahahaha :P

Yeah! Problem with catered halls is that you still have to cook for yourself on weekends and not having more than a microwave would just get frustrating :tongue: How is that little possible! How much are you getting overall for loans and grants then? Enough to apply for Singer with enough left?
Reply 4
Original post by laurajanecurtis
Yeah! Problem with catered halls is that you still have to cook for yourself on weekends and not having more than a microwave would just get frustrating :tongue: How is that little possible! How much are you getting overall for loans and grants then? Enough to apply for Singer with enough left?

Yeah, that was my reaction haha. I will be getting the highest available which will give enough for Singer and then have some left over each term, but I would probably need extra money for the "student life" :P
Original post by smackessy110
Yeah, that was my reaction haha. I will be getting the highest available which will give enough for Singer and then have some left over each term, but I would probably need extra money for the "student life" :P

Haha well that's fair enough! :tongue: I'm sure it's easy enough to get a job around Coventry... I mean, what I'm going to do is about a month or two before the term starts I'm going to go up to Coventry and hand CVs everywhere I can and see if any will take me on from September.
I'm sure if you find no jobs in Coventry you could definitely find work in Birmingham, especially when it's only a 15 minute journey away!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending