The Student Room Group

Referred to consultant, but don't want treatment? (haemorrhoids)

Hi,

So I have IBS and as a result developed internal haemorrhoids.
I thought after I got the IBS sorted they would go away, but they haven't
So I went to the GP to get them checked out and he's referred me to colorectal surgery clinic.

The thing is, I don't want surgery because I'm in uni and I'll be going home for Easter after the appointment and I'm only coming back here for exams.

So I guess what I'm wondering is, is this appointment solely to talk about/arrange treatment, or could it also be to look at them and check there's nothing else going on (there has also been a bit of blood)?

Also, is it possible to see the consultant here, but then have treatment back home?

I wish I'd asked my GP, but I didn't really realise he was referring me until I was leaving and I don't feel like I can book a whole other GP appointment just to ask him that :s-smilie:

Thanks for your help :smile:
Reply 1
Your condition can worsen without treatment. Hemorrhoids is something serious. Remember 'a stitch in time saves nine'
Reply 2
Original post by bluemax
Your condition can worsen without treatment. Hemorrhoids is something serious. Remember 'a stitch in time saves nine'

Okay, but even if I want treatment, I'd want it in my home town rather than my uni town. But I was lucky getting this appointment, usually you have to wait about 4-6 weeks, so I would like to go if it's going to be helpful. But on the other hand, there's no point going if its only to arrange treatment here, I may as well wait to get treated at home in summer.
Reply 3
Ask you GP if your treatment can wait a few months. Your summer holidays probaly won't start until mid -June right? If it can wait then I see no problem in getting treatment till you get back home. Oh and in the mean time make sure you don't develop constipation at any time. Straining on stool can aggravate your problem.
Reply 4
Original post by bluemax
Ask you GP if your treatment can wait a few months. Your summer holidays probaly won't start until mid -June right? If it can wait then I see no problem in getting treatment till you get back home. Oh and in the mean time make sure you don't develop constipation at any time. Straining on stool can aggravate your problem.

Yeah, my exams finish at the start of June. I just feel like I'm wasting his time to book an appointment just to ask him one question. But maybe that's better than wasting the consultants time :/
Reply 5
You can ask to be transferred to a place near you. You could also ring your GP's office/surgery and ask the receptionist if you can have a quick word with him or have him call you back because you have a question about your previous appointment.
You won't be treated "surgically" for haemorrhoids. You'll either have them banded or injected with a solution that seals them off, both of which are done in outpatients and take about 5 minutes. So it won't really impact on your study time, and may potentially be done in the first appointment when you go and see them,
Reply 7
Original post by xXxBaby-BooxXx
You won't be treated "surgically" for haemorrhoids. You'll either have them banded or injected with a solution that seals them off, both of which are done in outpatients and take about 5 minutes. So it won't really impact on your study time, and may potentially be done in the first appointment when you go and see them,

Yeah, I know about the banding/injection.
I guess I'm more worried about the possible side effects, although I know they are rare. So I don't want to have this just before exams, where my IBS will be worse anyway due to stress. And if I have treatment in this first appointment, I've got a long train journey home the next day and I don't want to be feeling rubbish/in pain.

I've booked another appointment with my GP tomorrow so I guess I'll just see what he says :smile:
Reply 8

We still do surgical haemorrhoidectomy for some cases. :confused:
Original post by Helenia
We still do surgical haemorrhoidectomy for some cases. :confused:

I know but I thought surgery was more second-line treatment if the above options haven't worked? Obviously there'll be some indications for having surgery first line, but it's still pretty rare no?

If not - you learn something new every day!
Reply 10
I know but I thought surgery was more second-line treatment if the above options haven't worked? Obviously there'll be some indications for having surgery first line, but it's still pretty rare no?

If not - you learn something new every day!

Well, I don't see the ones who don't come to theatre, but quite a few of those who do haven't had previous treatment, usually because they're too big/prolapsed and the surgeon thought the other options wouldn't work.

Anyway, OP, it's tricky when these things happen just when you're about to move. Your consultant will usually not be able to refer you directly to another consultant near to your home, so you'd have to go through the GP referral process again. It may be possible to do some treatment in the clinic itself though, as others have said, without having to make another appointment for surgery, so it's still worth going to the appointment.
Reply 11
Original post by Helenia
Well, I don't see the ones who don't come to theatre, but quite a few of those who do haven't had previous treatment, usually because they're too big/prolapsed and the surgeon thought the other options wouldn't work.

Anyway, OP, it's tricky when these things happen just when you're about to move. Your consultant will usually not be able to refer you directly to another consultant near to your home, so you'd have to go through the GP referral process again. It may be possible to do some treatment in the clinic itself though, as others have said, without having to make another appointment for surgery, so it's still worth going to the appointment.

Thanks for your help :smile: Mine are stage 2, so not too serious and they don't give me any pain, so I could hold off on treatment for a bit. I'm going to still go to the appointment and just see what he said and I can get some advice on treatment then. After googling it, I've just read some horror stories about banding/injections with people who had pain/complications for weeks after. I know its not likely to happen but I don't really want to risk it with exams coming up.
Reply 12
How was the "IBS" diagnosed, and how was the diagnosis of internal haemorrhoids made? Have you had any tests in the hospital (i.e. endoscopies)? The appointment may well be to see if there is anything else going on (like inflammatory bowel disease), and get an expert (i.e. colorectal surgeon) rather than the GP to make this diagnosis

If they are simple haemorrhoids (which can be diagnosed with a simple 'scope done in clinic), they may be able to band them then and there. If it turns you need an operation for it, you'll likely be on a relatively long waiting list for this do be done electively, and you can specify dates you can't make, or ask to be referred (via your GP as Helen says) to a hospital closer to home if possible.

I'd go to the appointment if only to find out what's going on to be honest.

COI: surgical trainee
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by visesh
How was the "IBS" diagnosed, and how was the diagnosis of internal haemorrhoids made? Have you had any tests in the hospital (i.e. endoscopies)? The appointment may well be to see if there is anything else going on (like inflammatory bowel disease), and get an expert (i.e. colorectal surgeon) rather than the GP to make this diagnosis

If they are simple haemorrhoids (which can be diagnosed with a simple 'scope done in clinic), they may be able to band them then and there. If it turns you need an operation for it, you'll likely be on a relatively long waiting list for this do be done electively, and you can specify dates you can't make, or ask to be referred (via your GP as Helen says) to a hospital closer to home if possible.

I'd go to the appointment if only to find out what's going on to be honest.

COI: surgical trainee

Well I've had a pain/cramps across my stomach, constipation and nausea which started about 2-3 years ago. I had several blood tests and an ultrasound and everything looked normal so the doctor just said it was IBS. I've tried several tablets and I'm finally on peppermint now which pretty much has sorted me out, there'll only be the odd day when I have some discomfort. Haemorrhoids were diagnosed by my GP the other day after he performed an exam. This was a different doctor to the one at home who diagnosed my IBS though, I just told him I had IBS and was on peppermint because I needed a prescription for more.

Quick Reply

Latest