The Student Room Group

Medical Dilemmas

Hi,

I've been working as a healthcare assistant for a year and at work I have come across situations which I'd really like to know about any ethical issues that should be concerned.

For instance, there was an obese patient (over 200kg!) on our ward who came in because of chest pain and inability to self-care. Doctors warned him to stop over-eating which he did not listen. We were told not to offer him extra meals but it seemed like nothing more could be done for him.

My own view is that everyone has legal rights to receive medical treatment. So we could only respect him as long as he was mentally fit even though his attitude was wrong and harmful. But is that all?

I'd really appreciate some opinions! Thanks!
The problem you have with many people is they have to want to help themselves. This patients weight would likely be effecting their health. More could be done about their weight but not without the patient wanting to put the effort in.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
If the patient has mental capacity and is making an informed choice (ie is aware of the risks of his diet) then you can't make him do anything. By all means don't offer him extra food but if he asks for more you can't just refuse.

I've had a similar situation with an obese patient going down to the shop everyday to buy sausage rolls and chocolate!

It's like with smoking, if a patient wants to take themselves out for a fag even after you've offered them nicotine replacements you can't stop them.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest