The Student Room Group

Edexcel Unit 4 Geography Pre-release 2014 (Tectonics)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Osu
It is about tectonic hazards so these don't count as secondary hazards. Tsunamis are another secondary hazard :smile:

Tsunamis surely are a primary hazard as they are a direct result of the Hazard such as Lava flow in volcanic eruptions
Reply 41
Original post by Will-H
Tsunamis surely are a primary hazard as they are a direct result of the Hazard such as Lava flow in volcanic eruptions

The edexcel powerpoint says tsunamis are secondary hazards (http://www.edexcel.com/migrationdocuments/GCE%20New%20GCE/Unit-4-Option-1-Tectonic-activity-and-hazards.ppt)
Reply 42
Do we need to cite the sources throughout the analysis? E.G. if we watched a programme on BBC Horizon: Volcano Hell, Nevado del Ruiz....
When we start to talk about the Nevado del Ruiz eruption will we have to bracket (BBC Horizon: Volcano Hell, Nevado del Ruiz)
????????
Original post by harrietcarr
Do we need to cite the sources throughout the analysis? E.G. if we watched a programme on BBC Horizon: Volcano Hell, Nevado del Ruiz....
When we start to talk about the Nevado del Ruiz eruption will we have to bracket (BBC Horizon: Volcano Hell, Nevado del Ruiz)
????????

Could do or put it in a methodology table. What is Nevado del Ruiz an example of... Primary or secondary hazard?

Posted from TSR Mobile
ok well i was going to put them all in my methodology anyway!
and its a primary hazard (volcano) and secondary (lahars)
Original post by harrietcarr
ok well i was going to put them all in my methodology anyway!
and its a primary hazard (volcano) and secondary (lahars)

Ok thought so!! Haha

How are you going to structure your report? I think I'm over complicating mine!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 47
Original post by HannahBanana1995
Ok thought so!! Haha

How are you going to structure your report? I think I'm over complicating mine!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Surely you can't plan it until we get the question? :s

Also how's everyones work going? :smile:
Original post by emmaj125

There's not a lot of thinking time in an hour and a half!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 49
There's not a lot of thinking time in an hour and a half!

Posted from TSR Mobile

True but without knowing the question you cant plan haha!
True but without knowing the question you cant plan haha!

Ok then :wink: do you have any guesses as to what the question could be?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 51
Ok then :wink: do you have any guesses as to what the question could be?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not really, quite a few things it could be on. Hence why planning is wrong/ The examiners reports say a lot of people going in thinking they know the question and then lose marks for it :smile:
Reply 52
Hey, does anyone have any case study notes on the Japan earthquake/ tsunami pleaseee?
Reply 53

Couldn't you plan your methodology table (if you decide to do one) as the sources wouldn't really change? :smile:
Original post by Berachi
Couldn't you plan your methodology table (if you decide to do one) as the sources wouldn't really change? :smile:

Yh I think that is the best option or at least what I hope to do in the exam :smile:
Reply 55
you can pretty much learn your introduction and methodology despite not knowing the question because it's obviously going to be responding to primary and secondary hazards, therefore just learn definitions and models and have a set range of main case studies you're going to use and that's your intro done.
As for methodology, you will know which case studies you will be using as you will have just written them in your intro so just need to write the sources down and then you can blast through the main section of the report and worry about justifying all the garbage you've just written in the conclusion!
Hey, how many case studies are you all learning?
And are you learning an equal number of primary and secondary studies - in case the question is 'lead' by the type of hazard (e.g are primary or secondary more easy to manage)
Original post by saffgabrielle
Hey, how many case studies are you all learning?
And are you learning an equal number of primary and secondary studies - in case the question is 'lead' by the type of hazard (e.g are primary or secondary more easy to manage)

Hey I have got eight in total you? But I suppose without realizing that some are mostly primary and some mostly secondary then I have other such as Japan' earthquake and tsunami in 2011 as both you?
Original post by Mango123
Hey I have got eight in total you? But I suppose without realizing that some are mostly primary and some mostly secondary then I have other such as Japan' earthquake and tsunami in 2011 as both you?

Yeah same i've chosen some like Japan which have primary and secondary so i could use the different hazards to emphasize management at different stages perhaps. In case the question asks to compare between prim/secondary i'm making sure my plan has both of them in before/during/after. I have 8 as well. Do you know how many models you're going to use?
Original post by saffgabrielle
Yeah same i've chosen some like Japan which have primary and secondary so i could use the different hazards to emphasize management at different stages perhaps. In case the question asks to compare between prim/secondary i'm making sure my plan has both of them in before/during/after. I have 8 as well. Do you know how many models you're going to use?

Um well I hope to use the Montserrat evacuation zone, Disaster Management Curve, and cycle, ummm (earthquake proof building structure maybe, cost benefit analysis though I am no good at explaining it. you?

Quick Reply

Latest