The Student Room Group

She doesn't want to talk to me anymore!

Three weeks ago, I randomly started talking to a girl that goes to my college; we started talking as soon as I sat next to her in a cafe at my college. We both enjoyed the conversation, so much so that we added each other on facebook. I started seeing her more regularly at the section of the library that I usually study at; I would chat to her briefly, each time I saw her.

A week later, I decided to flirt with her a bit because I didn't want her to friend zone me - I thought she was single. A few hours after flirting with her, she messaged me to inform me that she is taken. She still wanted me to be her friend, and so did I. That very same day, we both found out that we share the same personality type; I was so excited when she told me that. Our conversations became deeper and more meaningful the second we found out.

But then the strangest thing happened the very next day... She unfriended me on facebook. At first, I assumed it was her boyfriend that made her do it. After politely asking her why I was unfriended, she told me that the reason why she unfriended me is because she wasn't sure if it was a good idea to keep in contact with me considering she knows that I like her more than a friend. I tried my very hardest to convince her that I have no feelings for her, and that I will prevent that from ever interfering with our friendship, but she still insisted in cutting contact with me. She eventually blocked me that very same day, before unblocking me the next day (for unknown reasons). Her reasoning is that she fears that I will develop stronger feelings for her if I keep talking to her. Yet, she still wants to to talk to her IN PERSON whenever I see her; she wants us to be acquaintances.

This girl has really confused me. Does anyone have any advice?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
SHe doesnt want you dude. I would lay off. You are just wasting time my friend.
Reply 2
Just blank her and move on. If she comes back,,make your move and try to roger her.
Original post by samba
Perhaps PM riku for further help? :smile:

To be fair this behavior seems genuinely confusing, at least to me.

AT OP:

Blank her, teach her not to be arrogant enough to presume that you must have feelings for her, don't talk to her in real life as much, chat to other women. She needs to be taken down a peg; at the minute her attitude is that you need her but she doesn't need you, and that she is the valuable one in your interactions.

If she comes back, then you can either accept or reject her, depending on whether or not you actually have feelings for her I suppose.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4
Sounds like she might be scared of developing feelings towards you that will jeopardise her current relationship. Girls are strange sometimes.
Reply 5
Original post by KingStannis
To be fair this behavior seems genuinely confusing, at least to me.

AT OP:

Blank her, teach her not to be arrogant enough to presume that you must have feelings for her, don't talk to her in real life as much, chat to other women. She needs to be taken down a peg; at the minute her attitude is that you need her but she doesn't need you, and that she is the valuable one in your interactions.

If she comes back, then you can either accept or reject her, depending on whether or not you actually have feelings for her I suppose.

I actually really like her, but I don't have feelings for her. I like her personality because she's very similar to me; I think she would make the perfect friend.
Original post by Anonymous
I actually really like her, but I don't have feelings for her. I like her personality because she's very similar to me; I think she would make the perfect friend.

I think that, regardless, you should treat her as she treats you if you want to be equal in the relationship.
Reply 7
I think that, regardless, you should treat her as she treats you if you want to be equal in the relationship.

I hope you're not her :tongue:
She treated me very well on the day we started talking more deeply, but then her temperament changed the very next day after unfriending me.
I hope you're not her :tongue:
She treated me very well on the day we started talking more deeply, but then her temperament changed the very next day after unfriending me.

I think I must have accidentally clicked the anonymous thing, that was me.

I am not sure what she's trying to achieve, but I think not sucking up to someone who is disrespecting you is a good policy.
Reply 9
Original post by KingStannis
I think I must have accidentally clicked the anonymous thing, that was me.

I am not sure what she's trying to achieve, but I think not sucking up to someone who is disrespecting you is a good policy.

I agree. I don't even know if her disrespect is intentional or not. She told me that she has lost many friends because she continued to be friends with them despite them having feelings for her; she, unintentionally lead them on by being too nice. Considering we established very early on in the friendship were we both stand, I don't understand why she thinks I will get hurt.
Reply 10

Im not surprised she's cut you off tbh. It'd be weird trying to talk to someone as a genuine friend knowing that they have other intentions. Its harsh to say but you screwed up.
Reply 11
Original post by Hazard17
Im not surprised she's cut you off tbh. It'd be weird trying to talk to someone as a genuine friend knowing that they have other intentions. Its harsh to say but you screwed up.

She;s the one that initially wrote "I hope we can remain friends".
Reply 12
She;s the one that initially wrote "I hope we can remain friends".

Friend is such a vague term. It literally applies to anyone who has had some form of contact with you. Close friend is another story.

Im almost certain she said that only so she doesn't sound like a complete *****. No one wants to look like the bad guy. But do you blame her?

Think of it from her point of view. Say you have a girlfriend that you love and don't want to lose. You literally want to spend the rest of your life with her and a girl comes and confesses her feelings for you. Would you not want to completely cut away from this girl in order to prevent anything that could mess you're life up big time?

Theres a high chance that her boyfriend got her to do this, but nonetheless she'd be sensible if she did it on her own accord. She's just looking out for her relationship, and you shouldnt be surprised that shes favoured her boyfriend over you.
Reply 13
Original post by Hazard17
Friend is such a vague term. It literally applies to anyone who has had some form of contact with you. Close friend is another story.

Im almost certain she said that only so she doesn't sound like a complete *****. No one wants to look like the bad guy. But do you blame her?

Think of it from her point of view. Say you have a girlfriend that you love and don't want to lose. You literally want to spend the rest of your life with her and a girl comes and confesses her feelings for you. Would you not want to completely cut away from this girl in order to prevent anything that could mess you're life up big time?

Theres a high chance that her boyfriend got her to do this, but nonetheless she'd be sensible if she did it on her own accord. She's just looking out for her relationship, and you shouldnt be surprised that shes favoured her boyfriend over you.

I guess you're right. But we had a very long, and pleasant, conversation after she told me that she has a boyfriend. But, yes, I still see your point entirely. She did say that she still wants me to talk to her in person whenever I see her; she wants us to be acquaintances (whatever she means by that).
That was not very nice of her I think. If both of you respect your boundaries then what's the worst that could happen? Even Ted is going to Barney and Robin's wedding when he still thinks that Robin is the one for him.
It's quite simple...

She obviously realised you had some kind of chemistry that could turn into something else if you carried on speaking. She has a boyfriend and doesn't want that to happen, has chosen him, and has cut you off. She wants to speak to you if she sees you in person because it's civil and polite. The same way most people, if they dislike someone for example, would speak politely to them in person because that's the mature thing to do.

It's quite clear she doesn't want anything more from you and as she is in a relationship you have to leave it, otherwise you will come off very badly and be painted as the guy chasing after a girl who is taken.
Three weeks ago, I randomly started talking to a girl that goes to my college; we started talking as soon as I sat next to her in a cafe at my college. We both enjoyed the conversation, so much so that we added each other on facebook. I started seeing her more regularly at the section of the library that I usually study at; I would chat to her briefly, each time I saw her.

I remember reading an extremely interesting thread on here that gave example after example of guys getting girls' attention after they decided to ignore her and move on when the girl rejected them. This is a very common occurrence. I think your girl likes you somewhat and does want your attention in some form. I'd advise you take a leaf out of that book and talk to her less. Make it at least look like you don't have any interest in her anymore. Pay her less attention. Next to none in fact. Then she'll want it more.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 17
Original post by infairverona
It's quite simple...

She obviously realised you had some kind of chemistry that could turn into something else if you carried on speaking. She has a boyfriend and doesn't want that to happen, has chosen him, and has cut you off. She wants to speak to you if she sees you in person because it's civil and polite. The same way most people, if they dislike someone for example, would speak politely to them in person because that's the mature thing to do.

It's quite clear she doesn't want anything more from you and as she is in a relationship you have to leave it, otherwise you will come off very badly and be painted as the guy chasing after a girl who is taken.

Good point. This is what I feared; the signs are there to support this idea. She also said that we can become better friends once I find a girlfriend, which again supports what you said. But I did tell her that I just want to be friends, but I guess the aforementioned idea is still in her head.
Reply 18
Original post by L'Etudiant
That was not very nice of her I think. If both of you respect your boundaries then what's the worst that could happen? Even Ted is going to Barney and Robin's wedding when he still thinks that Robin is the one for him.

Exactly! I do agree with what infairverona said, but I don't understand what's so bad about talking on fb - so as long as we don't talk about anything sexual. I think it's already a lost cause; I am greatly saddened by this because I genuinely believe that she could be the best friend that I have always wanted.
Reply 19
I FORGOT TO ADD: After she unfriended me, I wrote her an apology message. In that apology message, I told her "I'm sorry if my interest in wanting to know you is interfering with your relationship". And that's when she used the "I don't want you to develop feelings and hurt you" excuse.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending