The Student Room Group

Are people too PC these days? (Gay / race)

Anyone else think too many people go for the PC remark when it comes to issues like Gay rights , immigration??

I'm just not convinced there are so many peace loving people out there

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Political correctness is liberal totalitarianism. They claim it is about being polite and accommodating, but in reality it is about mind control. You are free to voice any opinion that the inventors of all the isms and phobias have not pathologised as they seek to destroy existing institutions such as freedom and democracy in order to socially engineer their rainbow utopia. Of course, we see their true colours in stories like this: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/news/10729575/Mozilla-staff-call-for-new-CEO-to-stand-down-over-donation-to-anti-gay-marriage-campaign.html

Hold the wrong views? Time to hound you out of your job. That will set a nice example to stop others from daring to voice their thoughts won't it :wink:
PC is racism/fascim in one bowl. The objective is to demonize and basterdize common sense.
I'm gay and I think that society is far too PC. People are different in a lot of ways and political correctness doesn't respect that.
Reply 4
No, a lot of people really do say these things through a combination of believing it and being polite.

Original post by thesabbath
Political correctness is liberal totalitarianism. They claim it is about being polite and accommodating, but in reality it is about mind control. You are free to voice any opinion that the inventors of all the isms and phobias have not pathologised as they seek to destroy existing institutions such as freedom and democracy in order to socially engineer their rainbow utopia. Of course, we see their true colours in stories like this: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/news/10729575/Mozilla-staff-call-for-new-CEO-to-stand-down-over-donation-to-anti-gay-marriage-campaign.html

Hold the wrong views? Time to hound you out of your job. That will set a nice example to stop others from daring to voice their thoughts won't it :wink:

You're free to voice whatever opinion you like, it's just that you aren't protected from the social or professional consequences of doing so. There are a few things that we do protect people for, but who you hate is not one of them.
Reply 5
Political correctness is an anti-white ideology.

"London's Metropolitan Police will have to recruit one ethnic minority officer for every white officer they take on, according to radical plans to end accusations of racism.
Police chief Sir Bernard Hogan-Howe called for a change to the law to allow 'positive discrimination' and recruit more officers of black and ethnic minority origin.
Sir Bernard wants to adopt the scheme so that the force ends up "looking and feeling" like London, 40 percent of whose population is now ethnic minority. "

http://www.breitbart.com/Breitbart-London/2014/03/28/London-Police-Should-Recruit-One-Minority-Officer-for-Every-White-Officer-says-Chief

The notion that a black person needs a black police officer to represent them proves that the Metropolitan Police is institutionally racist: against whites. It assumes that white people are not suitable for the job. It leaves unsaid that it is accusing them of racist thoughtcrime and is therefore not hiring them on that basis. Yet if the residents of a predominantly white town wanted their police force to reflect that reality and rejected "diversity" they would be ostracised as "racists" by the politically correct.
Reply 6
Original post by mmmpie
No, a lot of people really do say these things through a combination of believing it and being polite.

You're free to voice whatever opinion you like, it's just that you aren't protected from the social or professional consequences of doing so. There are a few things that we do protect people for, but who you hate is not one of them.

Do homosexual activists calling political opponents "bigots" hate them?
If yes, is "bigot" a hate word?
If no, why is it presumed that people who use non-PC words to refer to homosexuals are full of "hate"?

This has a recent legal basis. The 1999 Macpherson report with its recommendations implemented by New Labour gave us the following definition: "A racist incident is any incident which is perceived to be racist by the victim or any other person."

You can of course substitute the term "racist" for any of the other protected characteristics including "homophobic".

I perceive the liberal left to be haters of those who do not share their opinions. Why do I not get the same rights as their privileged client groups?
Political correctness is liberal totalitarianism. They claim it is about being polite and accommodating, but in reality it is about mind control.

When you say ''they'', are all people who are politically correct in on this mind control conspiracy?

You are free to voice any opinion that the inventors of all the isms and phobias have not pathologised as they seek to destroy existing institutions such as freedom and democracy in order to socially engineer their rainbow utopia.

Of course, we see their true colours in stories like this: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/news/10729575/Mozilla-staff-call-for-new-CEO-to-stand-down-over-donation-to-anti-gay-marriage-campaign.html

Political correctness and racism/homophobia are different things. You can be 'non-racist' but not politcally correct. Racism/homophobia refer to ones internal beliefs; political correctness referes to how one acts.

How are people (politically correct, non-racist or non-homophobia) trying to destroy democracy?

As for freedom: the example you give is far too small to act as if the actions of these people reflect the views/actions of all the people who are (or wish to be) politically correct, against racism/homophobia, etc.
Reply 8
Outside white straight men everyone seems to get to play a card these days. I'm not hating though, as a white straight male myself, it was nice to be born into a $50 mill net worth and have a reserved spot at Oxbridge.
No, white/straight people can't take the heat that they are racist and homophobic so they cry "PC."

Cry babies.
Reply 10
Do homosexual activists calling political opponents "bigots" hate them?
If yes, is "bigot" a hate word?
If no, why is it presumed that people who use non-PC words to refer to homosexuals are full of "hate"?

This has a recent legal basis. The 1999 Macpherson report with its recommendations implemented by New Labour gave us the following definition: "A racist incident is any incident which is perceived to be racist by the victim or any other person."

You can of course substitute the term "racist" for any of the other protected characteristics including "homophobic".

I perceive the liberal left to be haters of those who do not share their opinions. Why do I not get the same rights as their privileged client groups?

You don't get protected because you make yourself the object of derision through your behaviour, rather than being made the object of derision for some innate characteristic. Display less hatred, you'll find yourself it's object less often.
Imo it's a big part of why society is so messed up nowadays, everyone fels self entitled and thinks that anything said against them is 'hateful/offensive'. My friends and I were talking yesterday about how 'midget' isn't an acceptable term anymore (apparently it actually did describe a certain health condition) because it has been ordained non-PC, it's really just ridiculous
This thread is going to attract some lovely people :rolleyes:

There are some things which are ridiculous, but on the whole, no. It is not "Too PC" to be respectful to others.

You will certainly reject this argument out of hand, but I'm going to type it anyway.

I am most likely what you would describe as a liberal lefty, but I don't hate people who don't share my opinions. I don't even hate that they don't share my opinions. If they express those opinions in ways that hurt others, for example by shouting homophobic abuse or instigating attacks on the basis of race, then I hate those actions, but crucially, I still don't hate them.

To address your point about the word "bigot": I don't know about other people, who may use it as a hate-word, but I know I don't, because I do not hate bigots. I might very well hate their actions as mentioned above, but I do not hate them. I use the word "bigot" to describe someone who treats people differently and preferentially without a valid basis, for example on account of skin colour or sexual orientation. You may well say that "bigot" is then itself a discriminatory word, but I would argue that people that fit the description need to be treated differently, and that a mindset of intolerance is a valid basis for discrimination, although still not for hatred.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 14
some things yes, some things no
I find issue with how certain situations arise where things are either censored or concepts are inserted deliberately

for example, I'm completely in favour of gay marriage but what's up with the BBC's chief demanding for more gay characters in the tv shows? there's a reason there aren't many: because gay people are rare in society no matter how you look at it, and that's not a bad thing, that's just a fact. it's one thing to say that there's nothing wrong with being gay but it's another thing to try and make it seem like society has more gay people than it actually does
and I always remembered in GCSE exams that the characters in problem scenarios would very often have names like "raj" and "fatima" etc - what country do they think we're in?
and, of course, we've got a situation now where eastern europeans are apparently their own race because saying we should contol EE immigration is "racist"
and of course- people are meant to nod our heads to everything feminists say. we're supposed to agree that women are oppressed in 2014. give me a break. it's not sexist to think we're equal now
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Monkey.Man
some things yes, some things no
I find issue with how certain situations arise where things are either censored or concepts are inserted deliberately

for example, I'm completely in favour of gay marriage but what's up with the BBC's chief demanding for more gay characters in the tv shows? there's a reason there aren't many: because gay people are rare in society no matter how you look at it, and that's not a bad thing, that's just a fact
and I always remembered in GCSE exams that the characters in problem scenarios would very often have names like "raj" and "fatima" etc - what country do they think we're in?
and, of course, we've got a situation now where eastern europeans are apparently their own race because saying we should contol EE immigration is "racist"
and of course- people are meant to nod our heads to everything feminists say. we're supposed to agree that women are oppressed in 2014. give me a break. it's not sexist to think we're equal now

Lol, we're in a country where people have those names...
Reply 16
Original post by nase14_aldayz
Lol, we're in a country where people have those names...

no I was trying to make the point that these exam commissions are seeming to deliberately pick foreign sounding names to be internationalist and multiculturalist
Reply 17
Original post by Tyrion_Lannister
This thread is going to attract some lovely people :rolleyes:

There are some things which are ridiculous, but on the whole, no. It is not "Too PC" to be respectful to others.

lol 'Please rate some other members before rating this member again.'

This just happened :tongue:
Original post by mikele
lol 'Please rate some other members before rating this member again.'

This just happened :tongue:

I'm getting insulted by right wingers in multiple threads atm, nice to have support
Original post by Monkey.Man
no I was trying to make the point that these exam commissions are seeming to deliberately pick foreign sounding names to be internationalist and multiculturalist

See to me, they're just representing the country we're living in. Don't really think they have some sort of an agenda tbh.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending