The Student Room Group

Feminists and their obsession with female body hair

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Zürich
Sure if you're homosexual then you're wired a bit differently but I was talking about heterosexuals here.

Of course it's complicated and we all are different, but there are clearly some general sexual preferences. Most men like breasts for example apparently because large breasts were a sign that a mate would be able to breast feed children better and raise healthy children. Most women surely like muscles because going back millions of years, a mate who was capable of defending you was more attractive. I'm sure there is a logical evolutionary explanation why men prefer shaved women as well, perhaps because shaved women look younger and hence more suitable mates? I dont know but it is not some modern day, media derived preference for sure.

The tone of feminists to women who disagree is typically condescending, I've seen this first hand at university actually. If you present your opinion as to how women could be happier/more successful as some kind of received truth, then any women who disagrees is clearly misguided or involuntarily anti/women herself. I guarantee that many girls would feel embarrassed to say that they like pretty dresses or traditional gender roles, and this is the atmosphere that feminists have created themselves. What was once intended to be liberating has become quite the opposite.

I don't really know what to say to the first but because it's about personal choice and the like.

But to be quite honest, and I know that this is controversial, but women who call themselves feminist yet condem or frown upon a woman for choosing to stay at home instead if going back to work after having a child or for liking pretty dresses, in my opinion, aren't feminists.

Feminism is about having the choice to do these things as opposed to whether you do them or not.

I don't believe that true feminists hate women for liking the way they look, dressing up, putting on make up and clothes and being a girl because the whole point of feminism is that we can be girls and equal.

So to be honest the so called feminist the girls you have been talking to at university are actually bullies.
If you garuntee that many girls feel embarrassed by liking traditional gender roles and dresses after not talking to extemist feminists then find me some.
And with extremist feminists (misandrists basically) aside, I don't really see how your point stands.

Oh and I'm a feminist, I like pretty dresses and I'm not at all embarrassed
(edited 10 years ago)
The point of getting worked up about this is that women are constantly told and made to the believe that their body is not their own, in the sense that they are constantly being told what they should and shouldn't do with their bodies. The body hair thing is just one way that women are made to believe that their body exists for the sake of somebody else. Even if men prefer hairless women, many women aren't even attracted to men, or aren't looking to attract a man, yet they are still told that they should change their body, often in painful or harmful ways, in order to be attractive to men. A female's body should be her own property, for her to do what she wants with. If you don't like it, that's fine, but you shouldn't act like it's something that you should have a say in, because it has nothing to do with you, and it shouldn't have anything to do with you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending