The Student Room Group

Best Martial Art to Learn?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Alot of people are saying taekwondo when infact its the most useless as its just point scoring its kore if a game now than anything hence why its in the Olympics

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ana81
Alot of people are saying taekwondo when infact its the most useless as its just point scoring its kore if a game now than anything hence why its in the Olympics

Posted from TSR Mobile

Taekwondo is a martial art, like it or not. It's a sport but it has technique to it, it's not something that any fighter from off the street can pick up. It requires actual strength, actual technique, and a mental aspect. So no, it isn't useless :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Holby_fanatic
Extremely biased but JUDO! ****ing love it!

Judo is amazing for self-defence, going to cross-train in it once I hit jujitsu black belt next year :biggrin:
Original post by the mezzil
I'm sorry, those people who are saying Taekwondo/ Karate have obviously never been in an actual fight. Most people wear jeans and can't kick because of that, so that rules taekwondo out. Same with karate, which has weird punching styles that is very regimented and traditional, and does not work in an actual pub fight/ mugging etc. Good sport but that is it.

If you want to learn self defence, do something like boxing/ kickboxing/ MMA and maybe something like judo/ jujitsu/ wrestling that allows you to wrestle etc. But you need to remember never go to ground in an actual fight, you will get your head smashed in by his mates.

The best way to defend yourself however is 1) walk away 2) talk calmly and reason with them and 3) don't act like a prick and look for fights

This guy know what's up :cool:
Pencak silat. It looked good in The Raid XD
Original post by aranexus
This guy know what's up :cool:

Yup, having been in fights before I can say that the best strategy is stepping down the tension and walking away. You can forget almost everything in heat of the moment, just safer to remove yourself, especially if they have friends with them. I don't care how skilled you think you are, if you're alone in a fight against 3 or more other people you are going to get the **** kicked out of you.

Quick Reply

Latest