The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ripper-Roo
Only really obscure things like "David Beckham Studies" (not sure if this was a joke or not)

1."David Beckham Studies" was how some newspapers rather snottily described Staffordshire university's offering a single (and optional) module on Football, Society, and the Media :http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/education/694451.stm

2. If offered, that (David Beckham Studies) would be the opposite of "obscure".
Original post by Abdul-Karim
Degree's that don't have any decent Job prospects.

A degree can be both a bit of a joke academically and have outstanding grad prospects, eg. Golf Management at Birmingham, or hard academically but with grad prospects that are no great shakes, eg. Law. Now fair play to the former, it's a sweet deal, but seems harsh on the latter to label three years of work 'Mickey Mouse' because there aren't many jobs in it.
I do Sociology and I get completely sick of people saying this to me. I may just be drinking the Koolaid but I think it's an incredibly important subject because so much of our behaviour is derived from Society.

Also I think in general people often call degrees Mickey Mouse because they don't understand how /why/what is being learnt. I have definitely learnt how to critically analyse which is a hard concept to grasp if you haven't been taught how to do it - even though it sounds simple. This skill is also relevant to many careers (particular 3rd and public sector).

I don't understand how people 'study' things like fashion but that's just because I haven't, just because it is studied in a different way to my degree doesn't mean it's less hard or meaningful. I wouldn't call another degree Mickey Mouse it's derogatory and elitist.
Reply 23
Maths and Physics at Oxbridge.
Degree's that don't have any decent Job prospects.

I do law, and its job prospects are terrible. I highly doubt its a mickey mouse degree though.
Original post by Le Nombre
A degree can be both a bit of a joke academically and have outstanding grad prospects, eg. Golf Management at Birmingham, or hard academically but with grad prospects that are no great shakes, eg. Law. Now fair play to the former, it's a sweet deal, but seems harsh on the latter to label three years of work 'Mickey Mouse' because there aren't many jobs in it.

Well.. that's what I consider a Mickey Mouse degree. Or the job prospects are completely worthless.
Original post by brownbearxo
I do law, and its job prospects are terrible. I highly doubt its a mickey mouse degree though.

If someone knew the other side wasn't so bright. They're just a mickey mouse person for taking the degree in the first place. Regardless, it's also dependant on where you do the degree. If it's not within the top 5/10 institutions in the country for that course, it's equally as worthless.
Reply 27
Original post by Robbie242
u r 1 cheeky...

:cool:

Well one of my friends is a better mathematician than I and yet he seems to be doing medicine ...must be something about a maths degree :rolleyes:
If someone knew the other side wasn't so bright. They're just a mickey mouse person for taking the degree in the first place. Regardless, it's also dependant on where you do the degree. If it's not within the top 5/10 institutions in the country for that course, it's equally as worthless.

You're probably about 40% correct. But again, You'd be hard pressed to find a law degree that is easy peasy, regardless of the institution. It may not be as prestigious, but its still not a mickey mouse degree. I'm just trying to point out that job prospects aren't a defining factor, considering how **** job prospects are in general at the mo.
(edited 10 years ago)

Doesn't that depend on which job you are applying for?

Once I have finished my History degree, it will not matter that I studied at MMU rather than Oxford or Cambridge. The career I wish to pursue would require me to work my way up, rather than fall into it because I went to one of the "top" universities.
Reply 30
You're probably about 40% correct. But again, You'd be hard pressed to find a law degree that is easy peasy, regardless of the institution. It may not be as prestigious, but its still not a mickey mouse degree. I'm just trying to point out that job prospects aren't a defining factor.

Law's one of those career paths that relies heavily on extra-curriculars and A levels. It does seem kind of a shame that anyone with lower than AAB is immediately, and severely, disadvantaged in the long run. I feel somewhat lucky, in that regard. My undergraduate degree isn't in Law, but I'm gonna try my hand at getting a Training Contract. If that fails, I'll go into accountancy, and hopefully get a contract with a decent firm. Finance is a pretty broad field.
(edited 10 years ago)
You're probably about 40% correct. But again, You'd be hard pressed to find a law degree that is easy peasy, regardless of the institution. It may not be as prestigious, but its still not a mickey mouse degree. I'm just trying to point out that job prospects aren't a defining factor.

Well.. if someone chose to do at Law at a crap uni, that just shows the individual is in fact a mickey mouse.

Original post by Samuel1988
Doesn't that depend on which job you are applying for?

Once I have finished my History degree, it will not matter that I studied at MMU rather than Oxford or Cambridge. The career I wish to pursue would require me to work my way up, rather than fall into it because I went to one of the "top" universities.

Oxford and Cambridge will open up more doors, no doubt. You'll definitely get into top grad jobs with a degree from oxbridge, in comparison to MMU.
Original post by Iridescenzo
Law's one of those career paths that relies heavily on extra-curriculars and A levels. It does seem kind of a shame that anyone with lower than AAB is immediately, and severely, disadvantaged in the long run. I feel somewhat lucky, in that regard. My undergraduate degree isn't in Law, but I'm gonna try my hand at getting a Training Contract.

Me too. The fact I have no intention of getting a training contract despite my good a levels and my law degree makes me feel like I have wasted an opportunity. But only sometimes haha. What did you study? I feel that if you studied law like I did you wouldn't still want to get a TC! I never want to read another case again! I feel if I did something I love, like english literature I still would want a TC though.
Well.. if someone chose to do at Law at a crap uni, that just shows the individual is in fact a mickey mouse.

A pretty insular and narrow minded view but its yours, own it. haha.

Oxford and Cambridge will open up more doors, no doubt. You'll definitely get into top grad jobs with a degree from oxbridge, in comparison to MMU.

Like I said though, it all depends on what you wish to do afterwards.
Reply 35
Me too. The fact I have no intention of getting a training contract despite my good a levels and my law degree makes me feel like I have wasted an opportunity. But only sometimes haha. What did you study? I feel that if you studied law like I did you wouldn't still want to get a TC! I never want to read another case again! I feel if I did something I love, like english literature I still would want a TC though.

I'm about a month away from graduating in English Lit, from Liverpool. I'm predicted a 1st, with one module in the 80 bracket. I'm trying to play up my transcript on my CV. I don't have that much work experience, but I still applied to about 5 VSs this cycle. I got A*AA at A level. The split between LPCers is, surprisingly, 50/50 between law and non-law graduates. Not sure I can say the same for TCs, though. :rolleyes:

Blegh, it's late, and I can barely type.
(edited 10 years ago)
My dad told me my social work degree is a waste of time and a MM he's an engineer and disapproves of any uni apart from STEMS . I told him to feck off I'm going to have to study psychology, sociology, politics and law all in one degree with vocational placements and a real chance of employment at the end. You will never change some people's way of thinking.
Original post by Iridescenzo
I'm about a month away from graduating in English Lit, from Liverpool. I'm predicted a 1st, with one module in the 80 bracket. I'm trying to play up my transcript on my CV. I don't have that much work experience, but I still applied to about 5 VSs this cycle. I got A*AA at A level. The split between LPCers is, surprisingly, 50/50 between law and non-law graduates. Not sure I can same for TCs, though. :rolleyes:

Im so jel! When Im super rich and retried I'm doing an eng lit degree just for fun. And well done on your stellar academic record! Are you aiming for magic circle firms? With grades like that you should breeze through the first stage.

(what a bum licky post)
A pretty insular and narrow minded view but its yours, own it. haha.

No, look at the current labour markets. When people go to crap universities and want to cry that they can't get a job, when its their own fault. If I were not made an offer for a Top 10 university for my subject, I would rather do an apprenticeship or something practical. Ain't going to book myself a 80k+ and waste 4 years of my life for no good reason.
No, look at the current labour markets. When people go to crap universities and want to cry that they can't get a job, when its their own fault. If I were not made an offer for a Top 10 university for my subject, I would rather do an apprenticeship or something practical. Ain't going to book myself a 80k+ and waste 4 years of my life for no good reason.

If you believe going to a top 10 university is guaranteed to get you a job.....thats interesting. Good luck in your future endeavours :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending