The Student Room Group

Gay marriage is now legal in the UK

Poll

Will England benefit?

"David Cameron tweets congratulations as same-sex marriages are held in England and Wales for the first time"

This threads not against homosexuals but do you think England will benefit from this?
Will England become hostile, aggressive and abusive to the gay couples or will it provide sanctuary for them after years of abuse?

EDIT: By benefit I meant for the citizens of England, in terms of equality
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by EverybodyHertz
"David Cameron tweets congratulations as same-sex marriages are held in England and Wales for the first time"

This threads not against homosexuals but do you think England will benefit from this?
Will England become hostile, aggressive and abusive to the gay couples or will it provide sanctuary for them after years of abuse?

What do you mean by 'England'?

Why would England legalise it but then hate them?

Why does your poll not compare like with like and is inconsistent?
Original post by Snagprophet
What do you mean by 'England'?

Why would England legalise it but then hate them?

Why does your poll not compare like with like and is inconsistent?

What do you mean?

I was just asking everyones thoughts because this morning I heard a couple of people outside hating on the gays and I thought exactly what you said.

There are homosexuals still today who get beaten for being that way, and if it was legal to marry the same-sex in England, wouldn't it save them somehow?
Reply 3
"Do you think England will benefit from this?"

LOL piss off. OP clearly wants an argument to break out on this thread :facepalm2:
Original post by Wolve
"Do you think England will benefit from this?"

LOL piss off. OP clearly wants an argument to break out on this thread :facepalm2:

Noooo I don't want an argument :frown:
Reply 6
as a human right issue, yes. gay are humans too. so Britain will benefit from being part of the countries "moving forward" and exert their influence on other western countries. however the big probs is that many people grew up not having heard of gayness, trannies, etc. and as such, do not understand. I mean people still use the word gay as an insult.
Original post by notagenius
people still use the word gay as an insult.

That's true, I hear kids saying, 'omg thats so gay', gay is not an insult, if you find something sh*tty say its crappy not gay
I doubt anyone except homophobes or particularly sexually frustrated religious nutters will care much.
I mean people still use the word gay as an insult.

People still use gay to mean homosexual?
Reply 10
Original post by Snagprophet
People still use gay to mean homosexual?

yes but they use it to insult friends tastes. e.g. " I like micheal buble" 2 "GAY"
yes but they use it to insult friends tastes. e.g. " I like micheal buble" 2 "GAY"

Language changes though. The same people who get pissed off when someone says 'gay' and means 'happy' are the same ones who are so adamant that 'gay' remains a meaning of homosexuality, which is immensely hypocritical.
Reply 12
true, can't argue with that point
Gay weddings are gonna be better than normal weddings.
Undoubtedly a good thing.

To late though, should of been done eons ago.

It was proper gay we didn't legalise it earlier. :wink:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 15
Good. About time too.
Reply 16
Anything that annoys religious zealots gets the thumbs up from me.
Reply 17
Doesn't really affect how i go about my daily life, so why would i complain?

Good for them!
Reply 18
What a day.
Reply 19
Made up for them.

Take that, Thatcher, you evil wicked bigoted witch. You can stick Section 28 up your arse.

Latest

Trending

Trending