The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by eriksingh
Yes but unfortunately your govt often listens and supports radical muslims.

So the government is going to repeal gay marriage just after it has come into effect because a minority of radical muslims dislike it?
Reply 41
Woop! :biggrin: I'm optimistic for the future of LGBT+ people in this country. Hopefully legal equality will pave the way for social equality. Our country and our community has progressed at a great level in recent years, from the darkest days of the implementation of Section 28 to the brightest days of the legalisation of same-sex marriage.
I'm supportive of gay marriage. But should I get the sandbags ready in case of a rainstorm?
About damn time.

Original post by Plantagenet Crown
A step towards equality at last.

This
Reply 44
Say goodbye to the next generation...
Hang on, there isn't going to be one
Original post by Barry_IV

What exactly is this but nonsense?
Reply 46
Completely in favour
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 47

Reply 48
Original post by EarthlingyThingy
What exactly is this but nonsense?

Our schools are going to be empty soon
It's England and Wales rather than (yet) "the UK". Yes, good news though.

Either you're a troll or a trollop.
Reply 51

how?!
Original post by cambio wechsel
It's England and Wales rather than (yet) "the UK". Yes, good news though.

But why? I don't understand what is wrong with a civil partnership :confused:

Will there be reform to allow heterosexual couples to get a civil partnership now to, for equality's sake?
Original post by TheGreatPonderer

Will there be reform to allow heterosexual couples to get a civil partnership now to, for equality's sake?

Sorry to interject, but civil partnerships weren't equal.

I believe that is the plan, yes.
Original post by shadowdweller
Sorry to interject, but civil partnerships weren't equal.

I believe that is the plan, yes.

Sure. There are some privileges that marriage have over civil partnerships and I'd rather have had them equal and given the same rights in the eyes of the law. The only exception difference would be in the religious sense where I think it should have been the churches decision based on their beliefs.
Reply 55
a step towards equality is never a bad thing. will England benefit from this? not until we start exporting married gay couples for a premium price. that is a bit of a weird question i don't know where to begin.
Reply 56

There is absolutely nothing wrong with civil partnership but this: seperate but equal is not equal at all. And yes, mixed-sex couples should be able to have civil partnerships for the same reason.
Sure. There are some privileges that marriage have over civil partnerships and I'd rather have had them equal and given the same rights in the eyes of the law. The only exception difference would be in the religious sense where I think it should have been the churches decision based on their beliefs.

Why though?

Erm. It is the Churches decision? They're not going to be forced to marry same-sex couples.
Original post by MrKappa
Anything that annoys religious zealots gets the thumbs up from me.

so what about the religious zealots who are in favour of it - does that make you want to give it the thumbs down?
Original post by mmmpie
There is absolutely nothing wrong with civil partnership but this: seperate but equal is not equal at all. And yes, mixed-sex couples should be able to have civil partnerships for the same reason.

In the same way the mormons wouldn't allow somebody who is a member of their church and has been given permission to visit a temple to partake their sacred vows, I would argue that religious marriage (I have no problem with a secular marriage or as it's better know a civil partnership) should have been off-bounds.

Latest

Trending

Trending