The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by shadowdweller
Why though?

Erm. It is the Churches decision? They're not going to be forced to marry same-sex couples.

Oh. Have I misunderstood the new changes? I thought this was parliamentary.
Reply 61
Original post by TheGreatPonderer
In the same way the mormons wouldn't allow somebody who is a member of their church and has been given permission to visit a temple to partake their sacred vows, I would argue that religious marriage (I have no problem with a secular marriage or as it's better know a civil partnership) should have been off-bounds.

A civil partnership is a very different thing to a civil marriage, as far as the law is concerned. The only religions which will marry same-sex couples are those that have explicitly opted in to doing so, and even then individual ministers cannot be compelled to perform the marriage against their conscience.
Original post by mmmpie
A civil partnership is a very different thing to a civil marriage, as far as the law is concerned. The only religions which will marry same-sex couples are those that have explicitly opted in to doing so, and even then individual ministers cannot be compelled to perform the marriage against their conscience.

I just read up on the actual changes. I misunderstood what had happened. (ie. I hadn't bothered to actually check)

Secular marriage giving all the same rights to homosexual partners as heterosexual partners while also giving religious groups the opportunity to opt in is certainly a good thing.
Reply 63
I just read up on the actual changes. I misunderstood what had happened. (ie. I hadn't bothered to actually check)

Secular marriage giving all the same rights to homosexual partners as heterosexual partners while also giving religious groups the opportunity to opt in is certainly a good thing.

It's not what I personally would have gone for, but I think the compromise that has been worked out about same-sex marriage and religious freedom is a reasonable one. Perhaps more to the point, I'm confident that the Supreme Court and ECtHR will see it that way too.
Original post by mmmpie
It's not what I personally would have gone for, but I think the compromise that has been worked out about same-sex marriage and religious freedom is a reasonable one. Perhaps more to the point, I'm confident that the Supreme Court and ECtHR will see it that way too.

What would you have preferred?
Oh. Have I misunderstood the new changes? I thought this was parliamentary.

Erm. It was parliamentary, but for Churches it's opt-in, they can choose whether to marry same-sex couples or not.
Erm. It was parliamentary, but for Churches it's opt-in, they can choose whether to marry same-sex couples or not.

I've got it now. I think I was partially misinformed, drunk and tired :redface:

All for the changes as long as we keep it secular with a religious opt in.
Original post by EverybodyHertz
"David Cameron tweets congratulations as same-sex marriages are held in England and Wales for the first time"

This threads not against homosexuals but do you think England will benefit from this?
Will England become hostile, aggressive and abusive to the gay couples or will it provide sanctuary for them after years of abuse?

EDIT: By benefit I meant for the citizens of England, in terms of equality

I just think marriage as a whole is a waste of time.
I've got it now. I think I was partially misinformed, drunk and tired :redface:

All for the changes as long as we keep it secular with a religious opt in.

Yeah, I'm fairly content with the changes they made, although it's not ideal. But opt-in seems like the best compromise.
Reply 69
What would you have preferred?

Personally I think that anyone, religious or otherwise, who performs a legally binding marriage it's acting as an agent of the state and should therefore be subject to the Equality Act. So religions can control their own marriage rites, but if they want them to be recognised by the law they have to offer them to everybody equally just as a registrar does.

That's more to do with my inherent secularism than anything else.
Original post by mmmpie
Personally I think that anyone, religious or otherwise, who performs a legally binding marriage it's acting as an agent of the state and should therefore be subject to the Equality Act. So religions can control their own marriage rites, but if they want them to be recognised by the law they have to offer them to everybody equally just as a registrar does.

That's more to do with my inherent secularism than anything else.

Yeah, I'm fairly content with the changes they made, although it's not ideal. But opt-in seems like the best compromise.

Theoretically, what if religious and state marriages were different things and the religious marriage had no bearing on the law except of that of the church? Would you feel content?

In other words we strip religious marriage of anything that actually means anything outside their religion and it's just a vow before their god.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 71
Theoretically, what if religious and state marriages were different things and the religious marriage had no bearing on the law except of that of the church? Would you feel content?

In other words we strip religious marriage of anything that actually means anything outside their religion and it's just a vow before their god.

If it's just a ceremony with no legal meaning then that's entirely up to the religion concerned. Religions should have absolute control over their own rites, including who they perform them for and under what circumstances. But once we recognise a ceremony as also having a wider legal effect then it ceases to be just a religious rite, and if you want to fill a secular role as well as a religious one you ought to be bound by secular law when you do it.

I can accept the current compromise, but it does strike me as allowing certain religious groups to have their cake and eat it.
Reply 72
Absolutely disgusting

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ESPORTIVA
Absolutely disgusting

What, your attitude?
Reply 74
What, your attitude?

No

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ESPORTIVA
No

Seriously though, how is it even remotely disgusting?
should never have been allowed to happen . The leaders of the west are slowly loosing their morals and their marbles .
Original post by matthewduncan
should never have been allowed to happen . The leaders of the west are slowly loosing their morals and their marbles .

Yeah, introducing laws which improve equality is a clear sign of losing morals, dammit! :fuhrer:
Original post by matthewduncan

Morals according to whom?
Woo congrats people :party:

Latest

Trending

Trending