The Student Room Group

spanish essay help

I'm doing a writing controlled assessment the week after next, for GCSE and would like some help correcting my work.

Scroll to see replies

I'm currently doing Spanish A-level. I'm not a native speaker but I could help if you like? :smile:
Reply 2
how would you say 'my friend studies similar subjects but she also studies art'
Reply 3
I could also help if you like. I'm a scottish student studying Spanish at higher level (A-level equivalent) and I've been on a number of Spanish courses in Spain :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by priyanka3098

mi amigo(a) estudia asiganturas similares, pero también estudia el arte.
Reply 5
thanks and i dont understand what the conditional tense is
Reply 6
thanks and i dont understand what the conditional tense is

The conditional tense is really just 'I would do (something)' or 'I could do (something)'. It's another form of the future tense that is all abouts 'if'. For example, to say 'I would buy a car' would be '(Yo) compraria un coche.'

The endings are the same as the endings for the imperfect tense, except you add them straight onto the infinitive. If you struggle to remember the endings, look on youtube. There are lots of great (and slightly ridiculous) videos that annoyingly (but greatly) get stuck in your head forever.
Reply 7
okay so is this right
si fuera primer ministro prohibiria mas estudiantes pata entrar el colegio porque sera demasiado lleno de gente
Reply 8
okay so is this right
si fuera primer ministro prohibiria mas estudiantes pata entrar el colegio porque sera demasiado lleno de gente

si fuera primer ministro prohibiria mas estudiantes para entrar al colegio porque sera demasiado lleno de gente

that was correct, I'm assuming you spelled para wrong and didn't actually mean pata..

also, 'entrar a' is a set phrase, so instead of 'el' is would have to be 'a el' which becomes 'al'. just remember there are lots of phrases that follow that rule, eventually you'll just be able to know if it sounds correct or not.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 9
yeah i meant para...
so if i said:
Si tuviera mucha influencia yo prohibiría…
how do i finish it off with: bad language or swearing
yeah i meant para...
so if i said:
Si tuviera mucha influencia yo prohibiría…
how do i finish it off with: bad language or swearing

I would say 'si tuviera mas influencia yo prohibiría maldiciendo'? or you could say 'si tuviera mas influencia yo prohibiría a los estudiantes de la maldición' - whichever sounds best in context of your essay.
Reply 11
is that a subjunctive sentence?
is that a subjunctive sentence?

yes, because it has 'si tuviera' - if I had. the I had part is the subjunctive.
Reply 13
Thanks. I've written "Los profesores serian muy graciosos y simpaticos pero estrictos....when they need to be ?
Thanks. I've written "Los profesores serian muy graciosos y simpaticos pero estrictos....when they need to be ?

cuando tienen que ser means when they need to be. I'm pretty sure it makes grammatical sense just to add it on at the end.
Reply 15
Gracias!
Original post by kginnisfree
si fuera primer ministro prohibiria mas estudiantes para entrar al colegio porque sera demasiado lleno de gente

that was correct, I'm assuming you spelled para wrong and didn't actually mean pata..

also, 'entrar a' is a set phrase, so instead of 'el' is would have to be 'a el' which becomes 'al'. just remember there are lots of phrases that follow that rule, eventually you'll just be able to know if it sounds correct or not.

Native checking in here :tongue:.

Actually, the last verb of the sentence has to be 'estar' and it must be in the conditional tense:

"Si fuera primer ministro, prohibiría la entrada de más estudiantes al colegio porque estaría demasiado lleno de gente"

:smile:
(edited 10 years ago)

Mi amigo/a está estudiando asignaturas parecidas a las mías, además del arte.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by kginnisfree
I would say 'si tuviera mas influencia yo prohibiría maldiciendo'? or you could say 'si tuviera mas influencia yo prohibiría a los estudiantes de la maldición' - whichever sounds best in context of your essay.

Sorry to be pedantic here again, but 'maldecir' isn't really the right word to use here, that's a word spaniards would use when talking about witches' or demons' curses :tongue:
Gracias!

It would actually be "Si yo tuviera más influencia, prohibiría los tacos en el colegio" for example.

'Tacos' in spanish is 'swear words'.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending