The Student Room Group

Abortion: 12 year-old speaks out.

Such a smart girl.

[video="youtube;wOR1wUqvJS4"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOR1wUqvJS4[/video]
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Why would anyone go to a 12 year old for abortion advice? Not even going to watch this. :hand:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
I've got naaaaaaarthing on this!

No.
a)Yes it is unfortunate that abortions happen but they can better the livelihood of women, rather than making them tied down to children. Also the potential mother is probably not in a position to raise a child properly.

b)Imagine if these abortions didn't take place, do we have enough resources to educate, provide and care for these additional children everyday, sooner or later overpopulation is going to be come a najor issue in a globalised world, so why would we encourage more life if its not economically/socially viable in the long run?
Reply 3
Original post by Robbie242

No.
a)Yes it is unfortunate that abortions happen but they can better the livelihood of women, rather than making them tied down to children. Also the potential mother is probably not in a position to raise a child properly.

b)Imagine if these abortions didn't take place, do we have enough resources to educate, provide and care for these additional children everyday, sooner or later overpopulation is going to be come a najor issue in a globalised world, so why would we encourage more life if its not economically/socially viable in the long run?

A) That's a cop-out TBH, simple solution is she should've kept her legs crossed.

B) What? Are you serious? If we are going down this ridiculous argument route I could easily say that out of those millions of aborted fetuses could've made an advancement in medicine, technology or engineering. Making this world a better place, who knows? :rolleyes:
Reply 4
Original post by Orihime
A) That's a cop-out TBH, simple solution is she should've kept her legs crossed.

B) What? Are you serious? If we are going down this ridiculous argument route I could easily say that out of those millions of aborted fetuses could've made an advancement in medicine, technology or engineering. Making this world a better place, who knows? :rolleyes:

A) Yeah, of course :rolleyes:

Women are raped
Condoms break
**** happens.

B) I am serious. That is just speculation, and still plenty of children are born everyday to ensure that a good number of them will make fantastic achievements in later life. Yeah make the world a better place, but that still won't solve the basic economic problem. Resources are scarce, wants are infinite and so a choice needs to be made...

The 12 year old has completely ignored the long run effects of abortion in her video...
(edited 10 years ago)
A 12 year old knows absolutely nothing about real life.
I was a naïve 12 year old, too. I wouldn't listen to myself for advice.

I have sex regularly and, despite using contraception, there is a small risk of pregnancy. I'm in a stable long-term relationship and I know that if I got pregnant and decided to keep the baby my family, my boyfriend and my boyfriend's family would be completely supportive. But I don't think I'd be able to do it. Mentally, financially, emotionally. I'm not ready. This is something that a 12 year old can't be expected to even begin to understand because it's so far outside their experience of the world (in most cases).

And I don't believe that abortion is a choice of 'whether your child will live or die'. I don't believe that having an abortion is equivalent to killing someone, particularly in the 1st trimester.
Original post by majmuh24
Why would anyone go to a 12 year old for abortion advice? Not even going to watch this. :hand:

Unfortunately I can't watch this but I absolutely agree with you.

However articulate she is (and/or depending on your cynicism however well written her script was), abortion is a complicated issue that a five minute video is never going to definitively resolve.
Reply 8
A) Yeah, of course :rolleyes:

Women are raped
Condoms break
**** happens.

B) I am serious. That is just speculation, and still plenty of children are born everyday to ensure that a good number of them will make fantastic achievements in later life. Yeah make the world a better place, but that still won't solve the basic economic problem. Resources are scarce, wants are infinite and so a choice needs to be made...

The 12 year old has completely ignored the long run effects of abortion in her video...

I'm not talking about rape though. Condom breaking can be easily solved with EHC (the morning after pill) there's no excuse to resort to abortion.

B) Why don't we kill old people then? It's the same thing, no? or the unemployed?
Reply 9
12 year olds giving abortion advice?!

No abortion isn't nice but it is a much better alternative than being forced to have a baby you don't want/can't provide for or look after/ might die having.
Abortion is necessary and potentially life saving for many of the women involved.
Reply 10
Original post by qwertyking
A 12 year old knows absolutely nothing about real life.

This was a school project but she got disqualified by the teacher cause it was too controversial so she put it on the internet. I don't think you should dismiss her because of her age, she's shown herself as an articulate and well-matured individual, she's beyond her years.
Reply 11
Original post by Orihime
I'm not talking about rape though. Condom breaking can be easily solved with EHC (the morning after pill) there's no excuse to resort to abortion.

B) Why don't we kill old people then? It's the same thing, no?

Morning after pill might not be suitable for some women (hormones etc)

B) Definitely not. No matter how much you argue this point, a foetus is not yet as human as an old person currently living in the real world

You can't just randomly go up to someone and take their life after they've contributed a good deal to society (assuming they have). Or take someone's life who's alive (i.e. they have been born)
Original post by Orihime

Yes, absolutely. No female should ever have sex ever unless they are attempting to have a baby. No exceptions, keep your legs crossed or have and keep a baby you didn't want.

Yeah, I'm not going to ever take the advice of the kid. As Oli-Ol pointed out, there are reasons not to have a baby that she won't even be aware of because she's still a child, she's not had to worry about money etc. Also what I do with my body is not any of her business, it's completely my own.

No.

b)Imagine if these abortions didn't take place, do we have enough resources to educate, provide and care for these additional children everyday, sooner or later overpopulation is going to be come a najor issue in a globalised world so why would we encourage more life if its not economically/socially viable in the long run?,

Wow, this is such a good point! Ok let's also starting killing prisoners and people on benefits. Overpopulation will be remedied and there will be less strain economically.
Original post by Orihime
This was a school project but she got disqualified by the teacher cause it was too controversial so she put it on the internet. I don't think you should dismiss her because of her age, she's shown herself as an articulate and well-matured individual, she's beyond her years.

I'm sure she copied a lot of that from other sources and she probably received help with it too.
Reply 15
Original post by Freier._.lance
Wow, this is such a good point! Ok let's also starting killing prisoners and people on benefits. Overpopulation will be remedied and there will be less strain economically.

That's quite extreme. Every human has a right to life, nobody should take that away from them
Reply 16
Morning after pill might not be suitable for some women (hormones etc)

B) Definitely not. No matter how much you argue this point, a foetus is not yet as human as an old person currently living in the real world

You can't just randomly go up to someone and take their life after they've contributed a good deal to society (assuming they have). Or take someone's life who's alive (i.e. they have been born)

Which group of women isn't suitable for? I'm pretty sure it works for all women. I'm aware of at least two different types of the pill (not talking about the patch). Even then there's the IUD which is actually more effective than the pill.

B) That's an apologetic justification that serves no purpose other than to alleviate post abortion guilt.
Reply 17
I'm only a minute in and I want to have HER aborted...

She's just a parrot. A twelve year old child repeating whatever her parents/teachers/church have told her to say. It's a fairy story about "children dying" rather than "avoidance of yet more unwanted children being born into a world that can't afford to keep them, with hesitant parents and fewer opportunities".
Reply 18
Original post by Aivicore

She's just a parrot. A twelve year old child repeating whatever her parents/teachers/church have told her to say. It's a fairy story about "children dying" rather than "avoidance of yet more unwanted children being born into a world that can't afford to keep them, with hesitant parents and fewer opportunities".

Not sure about you but I'd definitely choose the latter if I were about to be aborted..
Reply 19
Original post by Aivicore

I love you.

I didn't watch it, so let's just say I completely agree with avicore :yes:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending