The Student Room Group

at what age did you stop asking permission from your parents

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
19 :smile:
Reply 21
when I finished my A-levels I stopped saying 'Can I do...' and started saying 'Do you need me at home on X evening?' - It had started getting a bit ridiculous how controlling my mum was...
About 4 months?
Reply 23
Original post by Red Fox
I remember when my white friends used to stay out till 9 and my mum used to make me be home at like 7:frown:

This is literally the time my friend was and is expected home :-P
feels :hugs:
Reply 24
What about bigger decisions?

University?
Future career? New job?
Lifestyle change? Eg going vegetarian?
Introducing new partner?
Proposal?
Coming out?
Reply 25

it used to be "is it okay if i go to (insert place)" now it is "I am going to (insert place)"
I stopped asking for permission when I was 15/16, I would ask if I could do something and if I couldn't, I would accept the punishment anyways then go do it.

But my parents are foreign and they are set in their ways so if I stepped out of line I would get a beat down.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 27
Original post by Mel1215
Partly because my parents divorced when I was that age and they become very childish, so I lost lots of respect for them and didn't see them in an authoritative light anymore. I'd just tell them what I was doing and that was that.

Funnily enough, this happened to me and it made me more independent-I was parenting my depressed dad for a bit
then about a year into being independent I had a nervous breakdown about something and since then have been a bit TOO dependent :-S
Reply 28
Original post by Riku
What about bigger decisions?

University?
Future career? New job?
Lifestyle change? Eg going vegetarian?
Introducing new partner?
Proposal?
Coming out?

No. Those are all my decisions. Why would I need to ask? I became vegetarian at 10, of my own choice. I didn't have to ask then, I certainly don't ask now
Reply 30
Damn I still do and I'm 20.

Posted from TSR Mobile
When I went to university :smile:
Reply 32
Original post by Riku
Funnily enough, this happened to me and it made me more independent-I was parenting my depressed dad for a bit
then about a year into being independent I had a nervous breakdown about something and since then have been a bit TOO dependent :-S

It's pretty sad, I do think it has a positive impact on my maturity but I wouldn't wish the same situation on my future children. I think parents going through a divorce need to remember who's the parent and who is the child because this type of situation seems quite common unfortunately :frown:
Reply 33
I'm in my 20s and I'm not allowed to ride a bike.
Reply 35
16, since then if I've wanted to go to town/go to a house party my parents have just let me so I stopped asking :dontknow:
Meh, I still ask my parents for permission for some things, although most of the time it's a yes. I'm eighteen. About eighteen months ago I asked if I could go vegetarian, and they refused, but they eventually gave in after about two months after they realised how strong willed I was about it! :tongue:
Reply 37
Original post by Stinkum
I'm in my 20s and I'm not allowed to ride a bike.

Seriously? How come?
Depends on the situation, for going out with friends, it turned from asking for permission to informing from about 15-16, still have to ask of course if I want to bring friends over or for the car which is usually a yes unless something else is going on for them.

Other things might just be a no because of the risks they're worried over.
Reply 39
My mum was the only parent in the house and we were more like sisters probably because she had me young and we were both only children. I never really asked my mum for permission with anything, it was more "btw I'm doing this blah blah" or "I'm going here blah". I never done anything or went anywhere exciting and all my friends lived on the same street so she never had to worry about me being far away or being with people she didn't know.

Once I was about 14/15 I would just go and stay at friends houses or go to up to Glasgow without asking her, I would text her and tell her or call her. She was cool with that just as long as she knew who I was with, where I was and if I would be home or at a friends house that night.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending