The Student Room Group

How to show great interest in Medicine in the application?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Miel Purple
I was laughing at your example.

No it's not....it's not a good example.

So you're essentially saying building your own portfolio isn't a good thing to do. Students studying software engineering would typically build their own apps to showcase to employers, thus demonstrating key skills and passion for their choice of career.
Original post by AdampskiB
So you're essentially saying building your own portfolio isn't a good thing to do. Students studying software engineering would typically build their own apps to showcase to employers, thus demonstrating key skills and passion for their choice of career.

I think there are better ways to demonstrate commitment to medicine.
Reply 22
Original post by Miel Purple
I think there are better ways to demonstrate commitment to medicine.

So my example isn't so funny nor ridiculous any more, is it? A portfolio is just as valuable as any other extra-curricular activity. However, in medicine I don't know how a portfolio can fit in - an essay on latest issues/news/breakthroughs wasn't a bad idea.

On further thought, I can imagine almost all careers involve a portfolio. Project managers use their successful projects as one, doctors may use their experiences when dealing with complex cases as one, mechanics can use all their restored cars as one, lawyers use their previous cases as one. So ironically, I find it funny that you think so little of portfolios.
Original post by carnationlilyrose
There's not really enough space for this to be a big section and D of E is not going to stand out.

Depends how you define "big" I suppose, but most people I knew had a paragraph about extracurricular activities.

I would disagree with the notion that non-"medicine specific" extracurricular stuff isn't an important aspect of a medicine application.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Blueray2
DofE is a rubber stamp. Do medical related stuff instead.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with non-medical related extracurriculars.

It's important to demonstrate that you will be capable of having a work-life balance, relaxing, and having a life outside medicine. Such extracurriculars can also demonstrate leadership, teamwork etc, which are useful skills for medicine and life in general.

(Of course you want medical work experience and volunteering as well.)
Original post by Chief Wiggum
Depends how you define "big" I suppose, but most people I knew had a paragraph about extracurricular activities.

I would disagree with the notion that non-"medicine specific" extracurricular stuff isn't an important aspect of a medicine application.

I did not say there should be none.
Working as a carer is that a good way to demonstrate commitment as I already have had the job for a year
Original post by Chief Wiggum
There is absolutely nothing wrong with non-medical related extracurriculars.

It's important to demonstrate that you will be capable of having a work-life balance, relaxing, and having a life outside medicine. Such extracurriculars can also demonstrate leadership, teamwork etc, which are useful skills for medicine and life in general.

(Of course you want medical work experience and volunteering as well.)

That's exactly what I was thinking! Also, on the sample personal statement Oxford has on the website, they've pointed out an activity and said how teamwork is important or along the lines of that, so yes thank you for the confirmation! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Well I feel like if you do really havea great interest in Medicine, you should find a volunteer role/work experience that excites or interests you. No need to go round the houses to find a way to try and make your interest look greater, if your interest is enough it will show through how much you do and the enthusiasm you convey about it.

You could have 1 week worth of experience Vs someone who did 6 months of it, come interview time if you talk the talk better and explain in a logical, clear way what you learned from that experience, why it was interesting and why it means you'll be a good addition to their university. You will probably get the better of the other applicant who verbal dihorreas about everything they did not making their point appropriately.

If the work you find yourself is genuinely of interest/excitement to you, then you will learn a lot and not just be a bored errand boy and that will come across in interview. Usually quite easy to tell apart people who have a genuine interest and those who have endured something just so they can say they did it.

Quick Reply

Latest