The Student Room Group
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath

Bath accomodation...

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by LemonLizards
No but am reapplying for Halls due to medical reasons.

Ahh ok what course are you studying and which hall are you going for?
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath
In fact you'll probably get the more adventurous people there who are willing to give it a shot.

Exactly the case for me, I was going to go with Mal/Sols or Woodland, but I thought "why not give the new stuff a go?" It might be terrible, will probably be at least good, may be great... I'd advise those taking a gap year to look at the difference in prices offered now for 'The Quads' and next year. If it drops to £125(+25) then you'll know it's probably not that amazing.
Reply 42
Noooooo, Mal/Sols is gone :frown: Does that meant there's absolutely no chance to get them anymore?
Original post by Pro Crastination
Exactly the case for me, I was going to go with Mal/Sols or Woodland, but I thought "why not give the new stuff a go?" It might be terrible, will probably be at least good, may be great... I'd advise those taking a gap year to look at the difference in prices offered now for 'The Quads' and next year. If it drops to £125(+25) then you'll know it's probably not that amazing.

did you apply to The Quads aswell then?
Original post by Fas
did you apply to The Quads aswell then?

Yes! Haha, we are too coincidental!
Yes! Haha, we are too coincidental!

bet we'll end up working for the same firm in the future aswell :tongue:
Original post by Fas
bet we'll end up working for the same firm in the future aswell :tongue:

Haha! Out of interest, what attracted you to the Quads?
Haha! Out of interest, what attracted you to the Quads?

a number of reasons i think, but more the fact that it was new, ensuite (that was one of my 'must have's') and it gave you half catered and half self-catered, cos theres almost certainly gonna be days when i cba cooking anything :tongue: yourself?
Reply 48
I tried applying to bath accommodation and the only en suite available are catered... is there any way to not pay for the catering? I want to cook for myself >_<
Reply 49
Original post by Azuria
I tried applying to bath accommodation and the only en suite available are catered... is there any way to not pay for the catering? I want to cook for myself >_<

Well, technically you can cook for yourself as they still have kitchens but you can't get the catering credit removed. It's part of the contract.

If cooking and ensuite is very important to you, I would choose The Quads. The rooms are a bit small but ensuite and the catering credit is less than Polden so you can cook more. I'm assuming The Quads are still available....

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Fas
a number of reasons i think, but more the fact that it was new, ensuite (that was one of my 'must have's') and it gave you half catered and half self-catered, cos theres almost certainly gonna be days when i cba cooking anything :tongue: yourself?

Pretty much the same reason, I like the fact that you can store the money up over the year, rather than having to spend exactly £25 a week. I know at the Nottingham catered halls you have a specific daily allowance that doesn't even carry over to the next day. Hopefully I can use it when exams come around so I can cut back on time spent cooking... we'll see, haha.
Pretty much the same reason, I like the fact that you can store the money up over the year, rather than having to spend exactly £25 a week. I know at the Nottingham catered halls you have a specific daily allowance that doesn't even carry over to the next day. Hopefully I can use it when exams come around so I can cut back on time spent cooking... we'll see, haha.

aye thats another bonus, the flexibility in terms of when we can spend that money is also really good! just gotta get the grades now, and the way C4 is going that looks unlikely :mad:
Original post by Fas
aye thats another bonus, the flexibility in terms of when we can spend that money is also really good! just gotta get the grades now, and the way C4 is going that looks unlikely :mad:

Hehe, I think the vectors chapter for me just requires a little practice, but the integration chapter... O_O
Hehe, I think the vectors chapter for me just requires a little practice, but the integration chapter... O_O

yeah, i can deal with Vectors haha just requires practice. **** me integration is causing me problems, for a lot of the past papers im doing i usually have to look at the markscheme or something cos i just hit a dead-end! most annoying thing is i get it once ive seen the scheme haha
Original post by Fas
yeah, i can deal with Vectors haha just requires practice. **** me integration is causing me problems, for a lot of the past papers im doing i usually have to look at the markscheme or something cos i just hit a dead-end! most annoying thing is i get it once ive seen the scheme haha

Yeah, I just don't like the fact that there appears to be many different routes you can go down, then if you pick the wrong one it's super difficult, but if you had picked the one they'd intended you to pick it's fine. I think it's a case of practice makes perfect again. I think, as a problem solving exercise, they are kind of enjoyable, but in an exam, way to stressful at the moment.
I'm currently at solsbury, and after looking at the state of the others, I can definitely say it's the best!
Reply 56
Think i'll go for Eastwood as its the cheapest. What's it like?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 57
Original post by University Of Bath
Hello,

Of course this varies from person to person, but here is a general guidance list focusing on the items that students are more likely to forget:

Documents:
· CV, passport, driving licence, exam results etc. (especially important if you will be looking for part-time work)
· Old textbooks and notes (even though most important concepts are recapped at university, it is sometimes useful to look back on how they were explained at school)

Kitchen:
· Mugs, glasses (glasses will break so try to find some robust ones)
· Knives, forks, spoons
· Plates, bowls
· Frying pan, pots, oven tray, colander, sieve (very easy to mix up with others in a large kitchen so try to find some that are easily distinguishable)
· Tin opener, scissors, chopping knife, vegetable peeler, cheese grater, spatula, wooden spoon
· Chopping board
· Tupperware/sandwich bags
· Bottle opener
· Tea, coffee, sugar, cooking oil, salt, pepper, pasta, rice etc.
· Tea towels, oven gloves
· Washing up liquid, brush etc.

Studying:
· I recommend just bringing some paper and pens, you’ll soon find out what kind of note-taking and filing system works best for you

Health
· Painkillers
· Basic first-aid kit
· Something to help fight “Freshers’ Flu”

Other:
· Umbrella (you can’t live in Bath without one)
· Doorstop (it's nice to keep your door open, especially in the first few weeks when you’re getting to know everyone and the hard work hasn’t kicked in)
· Fancy dress items (have a look at your Freshers Week themes for each night and try to find some accessories before arriving as you don’t want to worry about shopping during Freshers week)
· Towels, hand towel
· Toiletries
· Laundry bag (campus launderettes are a short walk from any accommodation)
· Coat hangers
· Cleaning products
· Blue tack
· Printer (as a maths student I didn’t need one but many of my friends used theirs frequently)
· Stamps and envelopes

I hope this helps. I know moving out can sometimes be daunting but it is one of the most exciting times of your life so just enjoy it and make the most of it!

Kind regards,
Isabelle

I know this might sound weird but how do you dry your clothes after washing them do you put them on radiators or do you bring drying rack? just out of curosity! :smile:
Thankz
Sneha
When I pick Bath as my firm choice and apply for acommodation, how many choices can you submit? Because I'm thinking about which halls I should pick :smile: I'd like self-catered but shared bathrooms (ensuite self-catered is apparently gone anyways).

Does anyone know how many people you share a bathroom in the self-catered, shared accomodation?? It doesn't always say. Also, of those is one of them better than the other?
Original post by JessicaJS
When I pick Bath as my firm choice and apply for acommodation, how many choices can you submit? Because I'm thinking about which halls I should pick :smile: I'd like self-catered but shared bathrooms (ensuite self-catered is apparently gone anyways).

Does anyone know how many people you share a bathroom in the self-catered, shared accomodation?? It doesn't always say. Also, of those is one of them better than the other?

you can select 4 preferences for bath accommodation, but bear in mind some of the popular options will have gone already (e.g. marl/sols). in terms of the specifics, it depends on what building you're in for how many ppl you share a bathroom with, if it's a big thing for you though then just go with ensuite so sharing is not an issue cos there may still be some availability. plus you could always ring them to find out more :smile: hope this is useful!

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest