The Student Room Group
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath

Bath accomodation...

I'm trying to decide which accommodation is best...are there any that are particularly defined such as sporty, arty or full of public school kids etc!? this is what I've found with other universities so I was wondering whether it was the same at bath? :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Woodland is the most expensive and has the most international students and well-off students, beyond that it's quite an even mix.
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath
Yeah, because of the compactness of the campus no halls really have an identity or community beyond what they're called - you can be closer to bits of other halls than to the furthest bit of your own halls.

Woodland just has the stereotype of rich and international because it's the most expensive.

The new halls will have tiny rooms, but the en suites are quite big, so I must admit if someone told me they were living there I would think them a bit strange, because personally I'd rather have more room space and no ensuite!
Original post by RibenaRockstar
Yeah, because of the compactness of the campus no halls really have an identity or community beyond what they're called - you can be closer to bits of other halls than to the furthest bit of your own halls.

Woodland just has the stereotype of rich and international because it's the most expensive.

The new halls will have tiny rooms, but the en suites are quite big, so I must admit if someone told me they were living there I would think them a bit strange, because personally I'd rather have more room space and no ensuite!

By new halls, you mean The Quads, yes? From the pictures the rooms definitely look small, is that what you're referring to? Makes me wonder then what is a 'big room' in Bath then. In your opinion, out of the basic rooms (either standard/standard+washbasin/ensuite), which is the biggest, and in which hall would it be?
Original post by HelloPanda
By new halls, you mean The Quads, yes? From the pictures the rooms definitely look small, is that what you're referring to? Makes me wonder then what is a 'big room' in Bath then. In your opinion, out of the basic rooms (either standard/standard+washbasin/ensuite), which is the biggest, and in which hall would it be?

Yes, that's what I mean - no space for a clothes airer, so you'd have to tumble dry things, and so on - the biggest rooms are in Norwood
Reply 5
Original post by florence124
I'm trying to decide which accommodation is best...are there any that are particularly defined such as sporty, arty or full of public school kids etc!? this is what I've found with other universities so I was wondering whether it was the same at bath? :smile:

I want to know this too!
Yes, that's what I mean - no space for a clothes airer, so you'd have to tumble dry things, and so on - the biggest rooms are in Norwood

Thanks for the insight!
Reply 7
Basically, the cheaper the accommodation the less posh the people will tend to be. But obviously that is a massive horrible generalisation- and in truth there is always a mix. But it seems to be the general trend.

That's why I'm going to apply to Eastwood with standard room and washbasin. I think about it and I'm saving roughly £15-35 a week by just not having an ensuit. That kind of money I could use for food for the whole week! You can save roughly a grand in the first year by just having to share a toilet and shower with 4 other people. Not a big deal, especially as a lot of you will most likely be up and about at different times anyway.

I've stayed in the Eastwood accommodation and the thing I really like about it is that you've got your own detached house you're sharing with 12 other people, instead of long corridors and loads of people above and below you. Less noisy. It's also on the edge of the campus by the golf course and a nice woody walk, but still only takes 4 mins to walk to shop in main parade.

Eastwood is separated into Eastwood A and Eastwood B, where A doesn't have the wash basins and is a bit less nice inside, and eastwood B that has the washbasins.

I've also been shown around another accommodation (forgot which) and it was alright but it was right above the student union and apparently the noise is rubbish and it's only the top floors that don't get the noise- and you can't guarantee if you'll be put on the tp floor. So make sure you look out for where abouts the accommodation is located.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by pillacat

I've also been shown around another accommodation (forgot which) and it was alright but it was right above the student union and apparently the noise is rubbish and it's only the top floors that don't get the noise- and you can't guarantee if you'll be put on the tp floor. So make sure you look out for where abouts the accommodation is located.

That's Norwood, and yes it's noisy but it's fine. I was on the lowest floor above the student union - the noise of people queueing to get in was worse than the club noise itself, which was fairly well insulated and easy to sleep through. And security do a good job of dealing with the queues quickly
Reply 9

Hi! You're a current student right? Just wondering, have you seen inside the quads or just photos?

I was thinking about applying there mainly because it's the one of thr only ones with a common room which I think is a big pro (I don't want Norwood as it's too on top of everything for me). How tiny is tiny?
Sorry for all the questions! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Alien41
Hi! You're a current student right? Just wondering, have you seen inside the quads or just photos?

I was thinking about applying there mainly because it's the one of thr only ones with a common room which I think is a big pro (I don't want Norwood as it's too on top of everything for me). How tiny is tiny?
Sorry for all the questions! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

There was a mock-up of the rooms inside one of the offices, I just didn't like it. It felt like a cabin that you stay in, not a room that you live in. I just think they wasted the space on the bathroom.

Most of the other halls have something that acts as a common room - for Westwood, it's outside! They tend to spill out onto the grass and it's lovely. The same for Eastwood. Both Marlborough/Solsbury and Woodland are built with corridors abutting each other so they act as common spaces
Reply 11
There was a mock-up of the rooms inside one of the offices, I just didn't like it. It felt like a cabin that you stay in, not a room that you live in. I just think they wasted the space on the bathroom.

Most of the other halls have something that acts as a common room - for Westwood, it's outside! They tend to spill out onto the grass and it's lovely. The same for Eastwood. Both Marlborough/Solsbury and Woodland are built with corridors abutting each other so they act as common spaces

Oh okay then! Thanks :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Does anyone know anything about 'The Quads' accommodation? It's catered, but not in the same way as Polden: you get a £25 a week allowance included in the price of the accommodation per week (£165) instead of £50 with Polden. It also has kitchens with ovens, etc. Would I be right in saying that the £25 is for lunches, breakfasts and snacks, but not for dinners, making 'The Quads' semi-catered rather than fully catered?

I really like the idea of staying in brand new accommodation, but I want to know if it's worth the money.
Reply 13
Hello, i wanted to know which accommodation has a better social life? I am planing to stay in either Westwood or Marlborough and Solsbury Court. I am not too fussed about it being a en-suite or not. I just want to live in an accommodation that has the best atmosphere.
hello, i would like to know whether woodland court is only for postgraduate students or for undergratuate too. Because at the site of bath i read: "Blocks of this complex are used for Postgraduate students and a small guest accommodation area."
Original post by elizabeth1321
hello, i would like to know whether woodland court is only for postgraduate students or for undergratuate too. Because at the site of bath i read: "Blocks of this complex are used for Postgraduate students and a small guest accommodation area."

From what I've heard from my friends in Bath, Woodland houses both postgrads and undergrads. So to answer your question, it's for both.
i see.ok thankss :smile:
Reply 17
Any one from Bath have any advices on what to bring when coming to uni?
Original post by sbabz11
Any one from Bath have any advices on what to bring when coming to uni?

Hello,

Of course this varies from person to person, but here is a general guidance list focusing on the items that students are more likely to forget:

Documents:
· CV, passport, driving licence, exam results etc. (especially important if you will be looking for part-time work)
· Old textbooks and notes (even though most important concepts are recapped at university, it is sometimes useful to look back on how they were explained at school)

Kitchen:
· Mugs, glasses (glasses will break so try to find some robust ones)
· Knives, forks, spoons
· Plates, bowls
· Frying pan, pots, oven tray, colander, sieve (very easy to mix up with others in a large kitchen so try to find some that are easily distinguishable)
· Tin opener, scissors, chopping knife, vegetable peeler, cheese grater, spatula, wooden spoon
· Chopping board
· Tupperware/sandwich bags
· Bottle opener
· Tea, coffee, sugar, cooking oil, salt, pepper, pasta, rice etc.
· Tea towels, oven gloves
· Washing up liquid, brush etc.

Studying:
· I recommend just bringing some paper and pens, you’ll soon find out what kind of note-taking and filing system works best for you

Health
· Painkillers
· Basic first-aid kit
· Something to help fight “Freshers’ Flu”

Other:
· Umbrella (you can’t live in Bath without one)
· Doorstop (it's nice to keep your door open, especially in the first few weeks when you’re getting to know everyone and the hard work hasn’t kicked in)
· Fancy dress items (have a look at your Freshers Week themes for each night and try to find some accessories before arriving as you don’t want to worry about shopping during Freshers week)
· Towels, hand towel
· Toiletries
· Laundry bag (campus launderettes are a short walk from any accommodation)
· Coat hangers
· Cleaning products
· Blue tack
· Printer (as a maths student I didn’t need one but many of my friends used theirs frequently)
· Stamps and envelopes

I hope this helps. I know moving out can sometimes be daunting but it is one of the most exciting times of your life so just enjoy it and make the most of it!

Kind regards,
Isabelle
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by University Of Bath
Hello,

Of course this varies from person to person, but here is a general guidance list focusing on the items that students are more likely to forget:

Documents:
· CV, passport, driving licence, exam results etc. (especially important if you will be looking for part-time work)
· Old textbooks and notes (even though most important concepts are recapped at university, it is sometimes useful to look back on how they were explained at school)

Kitchen:
· Mugs, glasses (glasses will break so try to find some robust ones)
· Knives, forks, spoons
· Plates, bowls
· Frying pan, pots, oven tray, colander, sieve (very easy to mix up with others in a large kitchen so try to find some that are easily distinguishable)
· Tin opener, scissors, chopping knife, vegetable peeler, cheese grater, spatula, wooden spoon
· Chopping board
· Tupperware/sandwich bags
· Bottle opener
· Tea, coffee, sugar, cooking oil, salt, pepper, pasta, rice etc.
· Tea towels, oven gloves
· Washing up liquid, brush etc.

Studying:
· I recommend just bringing some paper and pens, you’ll soon find out what kind of note-taking and filing system works best for you

Health
· Painkillers
· Basic first-aid kit
· Something to help fight “Freshers’ Flu”

Other:
· Umbrella (you can’t live in Bath without one)
· Doorstop (it's nice to keep your door open, especially in the first few weeks when you’re getting to know everyone and the hard work hasn’t kicked in)
· Fancy dress items (have a look at your Freshers Week themes for each night and try to find some accessories before arriving as you don’t want to worry about shopping during Freshers week)
· Towels, hand towel
· Toiletries
· Laundry bag (campus launderettes are a short walk from any accommodation)
· Coat hangers
· Cleaning products
· Blue tack
· Printer (as a maths student I didn’t need one but many of my friends used theirs frequently)
· Stamps and envelopes

I hope this helps. I know moving out can sometimes be daunting but it is one of the most exciting times of your life so just enjoy it and make the most of it!

Kind regards,
Isabelle

this is really helpful :smile: thanks for going through the effort

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest