The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

Comparing University of Edinburgh & University of Strathclyde for engineering

I was accepted to both these schools University of Edinburgh for MSc Sustainable Energy Systems and University of Strathclyde for Sustainable Engineering:Renewable Energy Systems and the Environment, I'm applying for a fellowship and have to choose one of these. I'm from the US so don't have that good a feel for each to try and compare. Any feedback or experience on University of Edinburgh's program or on either program would be most helpful! Or maybe why you choose Edinburgh over another school?
Reply 1
Original post by carbuncle11
I was accepted to both these schools University of Edinburgh for MSc Sustainable Energy Systems and University of Strathclyde for Sustainable Engineering:Renewable Energy Systems and the Environment, I'm applying for a fellowship and have to choose one of these. I'm from the US so don't have that good a feel for each to try and compare. Any feedback or experience on University of Edinburgh's program or on either program would be most helpful! Or maybe why you choose Edinburgh over another school?

I'm not sure about the details of the degree programme or fellowships but my friend is graduating from an MEng at Edinburgh this year. He was rejected by Strathclyde 5 years ago :/

All he ever does is complain about the school, the engineering school apparently only focuses on certain things and lump the courses into one. He thinks that the smaller engineering courses are more harshly marked than say, civil engineering, even though some of the courses are the same but I don't know if this is the same of the programme you're looking into.

From my experience, coursework feedback from the university as a whole is terrible and not entirely useful. I hear that the quality of teaching in lectures and seminars in engineering can be excellent and world-class.

As for atmosphere, engineering is based at King's buildings which is a nice campus where all the science students are based. It's sort of shut off from the outside environment unlike George Sq., which is where the humanities are based and just feels like a street and square with a few tall buildings. George Sq and King's are quite far from one another, about 45 minute walk, but there is a regular (packed) free shuttle bus that will shuttle between the two. Engineering doesn't usually require a trip to George Sq.

I know Strathclyde is completely campus-based and am assuming everything is within close proximity. It's got a pretty good reputation but so does Edinburgh and in my experience, that doesn't really mean anything in terms of satisfaction. :cool:
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Reply 2
Original post by carbuncle11

University of Edinburgh is world famous and ranked 17th in the world. Engineering is probably one of its weaker departments but again because you are from the US, Edinburgh will have a much better name recognition than Strathclyde.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending