The Student Room Group

Had my first lucid dream last night!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jaegon Targaryen
Guys how the **** can I get one of these please , do I need to buy a brownie of a dealer or something , what is it I am missing :confused:

You don't need a dealer or anything, I just have very **** sleep patterns (i.e. around 5 hours sleep or less) and if you do this continuously then it can happen
Original post by MalteseMalteser
You don't need a dealer or anything, I just have very **** sleep patterns (i.e. around 5 hours sleep or less) and if you do this continuously then it can happen

Ah haha right.

I probably would conduct an experiment and deprive myself of sleep if it wasn't for the fact that I turn into a right bitch and look like gollum when I don't get my 8 hours :tongue:
Original post by Pisces20
so what is the difference between sleep paralysis and lucid dreaming?
and do you think it might have anything to do with lack of sleep

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sleep paralysis is apparently what happens when you are disturbed from REM sleep.

As for the causes, the mind here is still pretty much a mystery.

As part of my research degree I spent a bit of time looking at spiritualism, hypnotism and mesmerism, which demonstrated a scientific attempt to answer these questions in the 19th century. Of course no one came to any conclusion but the parallels with religious experience, and hallucinations, and the ability to reach all kinds of strange levels of consciousnesses (i.e. being unable to feel pain, speaking in different languages, forgetting what you've said when you 'wake up'), really makes for some fascinating reading.
Original post by Jaegon Targaryen
Ah haha right.

I probably would conduct an experiment and deprive myself of sleep if it wasn't for the fact that I turn into a right bitch and look like gollum when I don't get my 8 hours :tongue:

Haha I get about 4.5-5 hours sleep standard and still operate as a hyper crazy 19 year old - I consider myself lucky if I get 7+ hours :tongue:
Original post by Hippysnake
I'd be very careful if I were you. There's a fine line between lucid dreaming and sleep paralysis, which from what I've read is an absolutely terrifying experience.

I've had sleep paralysis before, when I was feverish. It is indeed an absolutely terrifying experience, and you don't want none of that.
I have lucid dreams every so often as well it's pretty cool, being aware of yourself having a dream. :smile:

I have also had Sleep Paralysis or at least what seems like it. I remember waking up and not being able to move my left arm. It was across my body as if in a sling, I tried to reach for a drink and it wouldn't move at all! I had to roll over which is pretty difficult when your arm feels like it is locked to your body. I freaked but calmed down and fell asleep again. Once I woke up I was fine :smile:

Pretty cool, unless you're an unlucky one who do not have control over their body for a few minutes
Reply 26
First of all: Congratulations! Lucid dreams are fun indeed! I get them occasionally, but not entirely by chance, there are little things you can do throughout your day to increase your chances

Original post by Hippysnake
I'd be very careful if I were you. There's a fine line between lucid dreaming and sleep paralysis, which from what I've read is an absolutely terrifying experience.

Original post by Scratchyjam
is it not scary?

lucid dreaming sounds hella scary out of me, i dont think id be able to hack it

especially after i kept getting sleep paralysis

What the OP describes is DILD: Dream induced lucid dreaming. What I think you two are describing is a method of WILD: Wake Induced Lucid Dreaming. Some really dodgy methods of those can wind up with sleep paralysis, whereas if you become Lucid from a standard dream, you're 100% safe. Unless the original dream was a nightmare. In which case, maybe not.
I get them quite often, and they're often about not being able to breathe which is quite scary. My sleep is messed up!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Pisces20
so what is the difference between sleep paralysis and lucid dreaming?
and do you think it might have anything to do with lack of sleep

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sleep paralysis is basically when you become conscious, but your body is paralysed, you start feeling paranoid feeling there's something else in the room and sometimes you can feel as if something is lying on your chest but being unable to do anything at all but lie there, had sleep paralysis once and wasn't even able to control my breathing o.O

Pretty damn scary.
Original post by Silver Arrows
I had a lucid dream whilst I was dreaming about being in war. That was quite scary. Particularly as I was told that if you die in a dream you die in real life because your brains thinks you are dead and shuts down.

there might be some truth to that cuz my lucid dreams always have me on the verge of death but never lets me die in em. been in lots of situations with 1% chance of survival and came out of em alive. i've tighroped the grand canyon and not fell. even had godzila chase me to a dead end and still escaped. each time i wake up sweating buckets. something in your subconscious just won't let you die in your sleep.

so maybe old people die cuz their dreams finally let them?. sounds dumb but who's to know? nobody who could confirm it is alive.
whaat
lucid dreams are amazing
i get them fairly often and it's great
if a dream starts out scary then you can make it not scary
once i dreamt i was in a really tall apartment building and i went to the roof and jumped off because i wanted to fly
though once i had a dream that was just pitch black but i could hear voices that seemed really distant and i thought i had actually died in real life
Original post by Lone tiger
there might be some truth to that cuz my lucid dreams always have me on the verge of death but never lets me die in em. been in lots of situations with 1% chance of survival and came out of em alive. i've tighroped the grand canyon and not fell. even had godzila chase me to a dead end and still escaped. each time i wake up sweating buckets. something in your subconscious just won't let you die in your sleep.

so maybe old people die cuz their dreams finally let them?. sounds dumb but who's to know? nobody who could confirm it is alive.

Read on a lucid dream forum that a lot of people do die and one guy said he died, then watched himself in 3rd person being carried away by 4 demons xD

Guess you can die but it's pretty rare.
Reply 32
Sounds like fun. Can't say I've experienced it.
I remember once I had a lucid dream in which my mother was been brutally murdered and I was walking in alleyways hiding from the murderers.

It felt to SOO real that when I waked up, I literally ran to my mom and started sobbing in her chest. The fact that I had a big row with her that night made me guilty for such reason. I NEVER EVER want to have a lucid dream again, I swear my heart was frozen when I realised I was conscious in my dream.
Why are people saying they want a lucid dream, it's like a foot from reality and imagination. It's just the worst experience in my life; lucky I've never experienced it again:dontknow:
Posted from TSR Mobile
I've never had one :frown: and this thread reminds me of inception.
Reply 35
Original post by goldenfish
Sleep paralysis is basically when you become conscious, but your body is paralysed, you start feeling paranoid feeling there's something else in the room and sometimes you can feel as if something is lying on your chest but being unable to do anything at all but lie there, had sleep paralysis once and wasn't even able to control my breathing o.O

Pretty damn scary.

oh my goodness that sounds soo bad.. does this happen often?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 36
Original post by Lone tiger

omg this **** sounds so scary... :no:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 37
Had a lucid dream once, a couple months back. That was fun.

Had sleep paralysis once too, about a year ago. That **** was NOT fun :nope:
There's been many times when I wake up and I'm completely paralysed and hear a loud buzz. I get no hallucinations and the only way I can wake is like screaming myself awake in my mind.
Original post by Another
First of all: Congratulations! Lucid dreams are fun indeed! I get them occasionally, but not entirely by chance, there are little things you can do throughout your day to increase your chances

What the OP describes is DILD: Dream induced lucid dreaming. What I think you two are describing is a method of WILD: Wake Induced Lucid Dreaming. Some really dodgy methods of those can wind up with sleep paralysis, whereas if you become Lucid from a standard dream, you're 100% safe. Unless the original dream was a nightmare. In which case, maybe not.

What I was trying to say is that people who attempt lucid dreaming consciously usually find themselves with sleep paralysis. Lucid dreaming isn't something that can usually be done consciously.

Quick Reply

Latest