The Student Room Group

Chest pains from poor posturskinny chest//no pecs/ribs sticking out

will lifting help?

I also have an annoying 'can't breathe' feeling which I put down to anxiety but may also be loose skin and it'll be less of a problem when my stomach is in a better position (rather than really weird loose skin place)
Original post by Riku
will lifting help?

I also have an annoying 'can't breathe' feeling which I put down to anxiety but may also be loose skin and it'll be less of a problem when my stomach is in a better position (rather than really weird loose skin place)

Resistance training (weight lifting) will certainly help with proper posture, especially when you start working your core (front and back, of course) which essentially holds everything up. It'll also certainly give you muscle gain, which will give you muscle size as well as shape.

If your ribs are sticking out, that points to low body fat. If you choose to start weight lifting, you'll work on your diet which will then aid you in gaining the type of body you want. :smile:

I'm not too clear on what you're saying about your loose skin and your stomach - how would loose skin and your stomach affect your breathing?
I'd love to sit with you Riku and go through a list of threads you've created and put them in to two columns: Stuff that actually matters and stuff only you think about.

90%+ would end up in the latter, and hopefully you'd go away from that meeting knowing that actually, all you have to do is make yourself happy by doing what makes you happy, and that the rest of the world will either like you for it or **** off out of your life.
Reply 3
Original post by Kagutsuchi
Resistance training (weight lifting) will certainly help with proper posture, especially when you start working your core (front and back, of course) which essentially holds everything up. It'll also certainly give you muscle gain, which will give you muscle size as well as shape.

If your ribs are sticking out, that points to low body fat. If you choose to start weight lifting, you'll work on your diet which will then aid you in gaining the type of body you want. :smile:

I'm not too clear on what you're saying about your loose skin and your stomach - how would loose skin and your stomach affect your breathing?

Ah ok. That's what I thought :-)

I made a thread called 'advice on approach' with pic of my body in fitness forum?

Erm...I have a scrawny chest but a pot belly, but only the pot belly when sitting down. And I can't really pinch from it? Idk :-S

It means I have no real base for my upper body breathing. I know you breathe from the diaphragm though. Hard to explain sorry :-P
but I think muscle might help?
Reply 4
Original post by mikeyd85
I'd love to sit with you Riku and go through a list of threads you've created and put them in to two columns: Stuff that actually matters and stuff only you think about.

90%+ would end up in the latter, and hopefully you'd go away from that meeting knowing that actually, all you have to do is make yourself happy by doing what makes you happy, and that the rest of the world will either like you for it or **** off out of your life.

:redface:
thanks for the advice :-)

In this case, it would make me very happy to 'know' whether resistance training would assist in alleviating a possibly psychosomatic sensation of difficulty breathing from a skinny, unmuscled, and shapeless upper body to start with

there's an 80%+ chance of it being anxiety you see
Original post by Riku
:redface:
thanks for the advice :-)

In this case, it would make me very happy to 'know' whether resistance training would assist in alleviating a possibly psychosomatic sensation of difficulty breathing from a skinny, unmuscled, and shapeless upper body to start with

there's an 80%+ chance of it being anxiety you see

Considering I have a friend who makes a bean pole look well built, yet can breathe rather well, I'd say probably not.

If you have anxiety issues (which I'd say is quite possible) work on that man. I know how difficult that can be, but beating that would be amazing for you.
Original post by Riku
Ah ok. That's what I thought :-)

I made a thread called 'advice on approach' with pic of my body in fitness forum?

Erm...I have a scrawny chest but a pot belly, but only the pot belly when sitting down. And I can't really pinch from it? Idk :-S

It means I have no real base for my upper body breathing. I know you breathe from the diaphragm though. Hard to explain sorry :-P
but I think muscle might help?

I'm still not too clear about what you mean by your pot belly which you can't pinch, but that aside, your breathing (unless you have issues with your lungs and chest) should be fine.

People with very little muscle can still breathe perfectly well. If you feel you have issues breathing, go see a Doctor, because no amount of muscle will help you if there's something wrong with your respiratory system.
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest