The Student Room Group

Travelling around Australia

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Well I'm going to the Bahamas first on a gap force project (which is £4500 itself), so for Australia I was thinking the minimum you need to get into the country (around $5000) and then just work and save as I go.. I'm slightly unsure!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 21
Ahh right when are you doing that? Although it states that $5000 is required I have been told by several travel companies, the Australian government website and even on the official immigration form that they don't usually check and as long as you intend to work during your stay you'll be fine. I have a rough breakdown for expenses :
£450 - AusJobs services
£230 - Visa
£600+ - Flights
Insurance...
Spending money...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 22
In October to the end of December!
Yeah that sounds about right, if you add on the money you make and take off money you're going to spend then it should work out? So long as you make more than you spend! Haha!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 23
Oh right that sounds cool, yeah I'm thinking roughly £1500 for what I've mentioned above and then £1500+ for general spending and living until working in Aus. AusJobs guarantee to find you work at your request and at a fast rate so money shouldn't be a real problem if you intend to work. Although you working can be as flexible as you want via AusJobs so how much money you make is purely down to you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 24
Yeah, I think it's just down to finding the right price for companies like that😃

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 25
Yeah I think what AusJobs offer on their work and travel program is pretty reasonable for £450 when you take Into account everything that is included. Sorry to keeping referring to just AusJobs but it is the only real company that I've looked at so far for my gap year 😬

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 26
Yeah, no worries😊 here's the cheapest one I've found - worth checking out 😊
http://www.realgap.co.uk/ultimate-aussie-paid-work

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 27
Okay thanks I'll check that out now

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 28
I've just had a quick look and it looks pretty good to me, the prices seem to be a little better too 😬

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey Guys,

I'm flying out to Brisbane on 19th of August to work as an au pair. I'll be staying on the Gold Coast for a year if anyone else is headed that way? Would be lovely to meet up with some people when I'm over there!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 30
Original post by Becca571158
Hey Guys,

I'm flying out to Brisbane on 19th of August to work as an au pair. I'll be staying on the Gold Coast for a year if anyone else is headed that way? Would be lovely to meet up with some people when I'm over there!

Posted from TSR Mobile

How did you get the au pair job? :smile:
Original post by cdude
How did you get the au pair job? :smile:

I used a site called aupair world :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 32
Original post by Benz2707
Ohh 😕 I wasn't expecting that... How much are you planning to save all together? I was thinking around £3000, but I'll probably need closer to £4000 now

Posted from TSR Mobile

Iam going to be taking around £5000 but going to be working as well so probably won't use it all
Will you need to work if you're taking that much money?!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 34
Original post by Hannaaah_S
Will you need to work if you're taking that much money?!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Maybe for 5months but if I stay for the year I'll have to work ,although working could pay for the whole year ,also good to get experience
Reply 35
Guys do any of you know any oz job websites
Reply 36
Hey, I've been looking at doing my gap year via organisations such as RealGap and AusJobs. These companies are committed to finding people work throughout their year gap in Australia. The work is as flexible as you want and they guarantee that the longest you will wait for work will be up to a week.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 37
Also guys are any of you taking cameras ,got a dslr but not sure to take it ,or get a smaller one
Yeaaah, taking a medium sized camera (can't remember the make) and a gopro! Not sure if I should take my iphone or not though?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 39
Hey guys im hopefully going to be going out in Jan 2015. Im hoping to to stay a year maybe 2 depending on how I get on. I cant wait to get out there!

Quick Reply

Latest