The Student Room Group

Muslim who trained 7/7 bombers allowed to open primary school!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by la95
Yes, it would appear that he is. Perhaps the man is also a father, a brother, a son, an ex-solider, an ex-teacher, etc. I was commenting on the fact that the OP chose to comment on one very specific attribute.

Considering the guy's history and what's he's planning on doing with the school (making a faith school), I'd say it's a pretty relevant thing to mention.
Reply 81
Original post by la95
I believe that a variety of factors, including religion, influenced those who carried out the 7/7 attacks to do so.

I suspect their religion was the main influence, which means highlighting their religion is relevant.
Reply 82
Original post by Monkey.Man
they do seem to be a stereotypical "radical" muslim though, if they didn't reference the feature that is blindingly apparent it would seem slightly suspicious, wouldn't it?

I don't particularly like stereotypes. IMO the only reason it would seem suspicious is because much of the West is now in the mindset of Muslim = terrorist, so failing to blatantly reference his religion would seem 'odd'. Let me ask you this - if a serial killer was a Muslim, would his/her religion be mentioned? Conversely, if a serial killer was a Jew/Christian/Buddhist/Hindu, would his/her religion be mentioned then?
Reply 83
Original post by TheHistoryStudent
Considering the guy's history and what's he's planning on doing with the school (making a faith school), I'd say it's a pretty relevant thing to mention.

I agree that it's relevant, but simply referring to him as 'Muslim' rather than 'person'/'man'/by his name from the offset suggests that the OP believes his religion to be his most relevant attribute, if not his only relevant attribute. Thus, the implication is that his actions are the result of this particular attribute, ergo my post.
Reply 84
Original post by pane123
I suspect their religion was the main influence, which means highlighting their religion is relevant.

Potentially, but it's very difficult, if not impossible, to pinpoint a particular influence as being the 'main' influence given the vast number of influences operating upon an individual in their lifetime. See my posts above.
Reply 85
Original post by la95
Potentially, but it's very difficult, if not impossible, to pinpoint a particular influence as being the 'main' influence given the vast number of influences operating upon an individual in their lifetime. See my posts above.

It's not difficult at all.

"I and thousands like me are forsaking everything for what we believe. Our drive and motivation doesn't come from tangible commodities that this world has to offer. Our religion is Islam, obedience to the one true God and following the footsteps of the final prophet messenger. "
Reply 86
Original post by pane123
It's not difficult at all.

"I and thousands like me are forsaking everything for what we believe. Our drive and motivation doesn't come from tangible commodities that this world has to offer. Our religion is Islam, obedience to the one true God and following the footsteps of the final prophet messenger. "

I think you're missing the point. If religion was his 'main' influence, then the thousands upon thousands (if not millions upon millions) of other people who dedicate their lives to Islam would also be terrorists. Yet that isn't the case.
Reply 87
Original post by la95
I think you're missing the point. If religion was his 'main' influence, then the thousands upon thousands (if not millions upon millions) of other people who dedicate their lives to Islam would also be terrorists. Yet that isn't the case.

There have been thousands upon thousands of terrorist attacks by Muslims since 9/11. If you want figures which reach the millions then you just have to look at opinion polls of Muslims who support such attacks.
Reply 88
Original post by pane123
There have been thousands upon thousands of terrorist attacks by Muslims since 9/11. If you want figures which reach the millions then you just have to look at opinion polls of Muslims who support such attacks.

In the US, there have been 208 terrorist attacks since 9/11 - I don't believe the religious leanings of the attackers are taken into account in the figures: http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2013/09/11/nine-facts-about-terrorism-in-the-united-states-since-911/. I don't have any worldwide figures, so if you do, I'll gladly look at them.

Anyhow, that isn't really the point. Your attitude seems to be Muslim = terrorist. Given that such a viewpoint is completely irrational, it seems that there is very little I can do to change it. If that isn't what you believe, then I'd like to hear what you do believe.
Everything Ace says should be taken with a shaker-full of salt...
So It's a private school to teach kids that islam is the way and to kill everyone. Most likely anyway. Surley this man in legal terms is at the very least an accessory in Murder.??

Ah well, Guess I'm a racist now!

God Help Society!!
Original post by la95
x

A Muslim man who was the leader of a radical Muslim group, and who trained Muslim bombers at an Islamic terrorist training camp in order to carry out an attack in the name of Islam is now setting up a Muslim faith school.

And you think it is inappropriate to mention his religion?
Reply 92
Original post by AdvanceAndVanquish
A Muslim man who was the leader of a radical Muslim group, and who trained Muslim bombers at an Islamic terrorist training camp in order to carry out an attack in the name of Islam is now setting up a Muslim faith school.

And you think it is inappropriate to mention his religion?

I don't think it's inappropriate to mention his religion; however, I do think it's inappropriate to use his religion as a substitute for his name.
Reply 93
Original post by la95
In the US, there have been 208 terrorist attacks since 9/11 - I don't believe the religious leanings of the attackers are taken into account in the figures: http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2013/09/11/nine-facts-about-terrorism-in-the-united-states-since-911/. I don't have any worldwide figures, so if you do, I'll gladly look at them.

Anyhow, that isn't really the point. Your attitude seems to be Muslim = terrorist. Given that such a viewpoint is completely irrational, it seems that there is very little I can do to change it. If that isn't what you believe, then I'd like to hear what you do believe.

You have jumped to that conclusion somewhat prematurely. I believe that Islam is not a religion of peace, but rather an intolerant religion which encourages hatred and inequality.

I have been unable to find reliable terrorist statistics based on religion, but the following link might be of interest:

http://www.economist.com/blogs/graphicdetail/2012/12/daily-chart-0?page=1
Reply 94
Original post by pane123
You have jumped to that conclusion somewhat prematurely. I believe that Islam is not a religion of peace, but rather an intolerant religion which encourages hatred and inequality.

I have been unable to find reliable terrorist statistics based on religion, but the following link might be of interest:

http://www.economist.com/blogs/graphicdetail/2012/12/daily-chart-0?page=1

I don't know much about the teachings of Islam, but the sheer number of Muslims who are not terrorists suggests to me that it isn't "an intolerant religion which encourages hate and inequality". What is it that makes you believe that?
Original post by la95
I don't think it's inappropriate to mention his religion; however, I do think it's inappropriate to use his religion as a substitute for his name.

That seems an awfully odd complaint, considering how central his religion is to the situation at hand.
Original post by la95
I don't know much about the teachings of Islam, but the sheer number of Muslims who are not terrorists suggests to me that it isn't "an intolerant religion which encourages hate and inequality". What is it that makes you believe that?

Do you really mean to claim that anything short of actual terrorism cannot be a manifestation of intolerance, hate, and inequality?
Reply 97
Original post by la95

Its views on homosexuality, for one:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGBT_in_Islam#Homosexuality_laws_in_majority_Muslim_countries
Original post by pane123

http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/

Reply 99

I have seen that but I couldn't find a source for the figure.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending