The Student Room Group

New York or London?

I'm currently a high school student debating whether to study in New York or London for university. The two cities are obviously the financial centers of the world and cultural hubs but which do you think is more suitable for university?

For the sake of comparison between the two cities, I won't mention the names of the colleges but they are both around the same in ranking and academic rigour. I'm and EU citizen and fan of the premier league, but i've been to NYC and loved the energy and the pace of the city. However, the lack of green open spaces was concerning. Never been to london.

Which would you guys prefer and why?
Choosing a University isn't like choosing a holiday.

I think you need to think a little deeper about this than 'which has the nicest parks'.
(edited 10 years ago)
Big cities full of people can still be very lonely places. Costs of living are high and there are always detractions to lure you away from devoting all your energy and most of your time to study. Tranquility is hard to find in a big city. The neighbourhood you end up living in will be very much determined by your available funds and the glitz of downtown lights may be a far cry from your actual experience.

I have lived in London and visited NY on several occasions. The brashness of New Yorkers can be grating and I found tipping was an art form I never mastered. London has the advantage that you have the rest of Britain and Europe on your doorstep and home is never far away.

Ultimately you are the one who has to live there. For me it would be London which has a charm, history and with a new cultural identity around every corner.
(edited 10 years ago)
You really need to compares the universities, not just the cities. That being said, I grew up in upstate New York and I've always loved NYC. But I definitely prefer London. I think it's cleaner and more refined. Of course there are bad areas, but London definitely takes the cake in my opinion.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending