The Student Room Group

I had 10-15 lessons so far, should I be booking my test now?

I can already drive very well, I pretty much can do all manoeuvres with no problem and the instructor thinks I'm ready but he doesn't mention that I need to book my driving test now.

I think the only thing left to learn is exam techniques.

Also, how large is exam booking backlog? Is it possible to book one within 1 month? Is it possible to book one within 2 weeks if I use cancellation software?
Reply 1
The waiting list depends on cwntre. Some are weeks but others are months.

15 hours does sound too soon to be booking your test, but people learn at different rates. You might be ready - but talk to your instructor.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by Quirky!
I can already drive very well, I pretty much can do all manoeuvres with no problem and the instructor thinks I'm ready but he doesn't mention that I need to book my driving test now.

I think the only thing left to learn is exam techniques.

Also, how large is exam booking backlog? Is it possible to book one within 1 month? Is it possible to book one within 2 weeks if I use cancellation software?

If you feel you are ready talk it through with your instructor and I'm sure they'll agree, that's what I did after about 13 lessons.

With my local test centre I could book a test within the next week if I had really wanted to but decided to go for one a month later as then you have time to do a mock etc... Got my test in two weeks!! :eek:
I started learning in April and had my test booked by the end of May so I'd go for it if I were you. You can always put it back as well.
Reply 4
I took a quick look at my driving test availability, it seems that I can only book tests from beginning of May. It seems to me that there is also one available on next Wednesday at another centre and it's in area I'm not familiar with and weirdly enough it's one closest to where my instructor lives even though he says the one closest to me is the one he works/has relations with for (?? he didn't clarify it). It also says it's unrefundable, does it mean I can't put it back as well or is that only applies to cancellations?
Original post by Quirky!
I took a quick look at my driving test availability, it seems that I can only book tests from beginning of May. It seems to me that there is also one available on next Wednesday at another centre and it's in area I'm not familiar with and weirdly enough it's one closest to where my instructor lives even though he says the one closest to me is the one he works/has relations with for (?? he didn't clarify it). It also says it's unrefundable, does it mean I can't put it back as well or is that only applies to cancellations?

As long as it's 3 or more days before your test you can change the date of the test. My friend put his back about 3 or 4 times.

It's quite normal that you have to wait a month until the next available test, infact that's not a bad waiting time, some test centres have a waiting list of several months.

Don't do your test in an area you're unfamiliar with either.

Good luck :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by Quirky!

You need 3 clear working days to cancel or postpone your test, so if you go for the Wednesday one you won't be able to change it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
What does your driving instructor recommend if you don't mind me asking?
Reply 8
I have been having lessons since September and only just finished learning everything. Now got to wait 3 months from booking the test to actually doing it. (my test centre is ultra busy!)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending