The Student Room Group

AQA Core 3 - Tuesday 10th June 2014 (AM) - Official Thread

Scroll to see replies

Everyone here should be aiming for 100% not 100ums!
wheres the C4 thread so i can't ask questions

This unit will be a breeze
Reply 22
Original post by niceguy95
wheres the C4 thread so i can't ask questions

This unit will be a breeze

Here's the link to the similar C4 thread : http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2636074 , now don't get me started on that little darling of a module!
Reply 23
Original post by cuckoo99
Intergation by substitution is probably the most long winded thought provoking topic in C3. I also find drawing the inverse trig graphs hard lol

Yeah, Substitution is pretty annoying - especially when you have do it twice!

For the inverse trig graphs- if you're stuck just use your calc to find certain points like 90, 180 , etc and you'll understand the general shape.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 24
Original post by mA*ths
For me, it's definitely integration, especially by substitution. By far and away though, Simpson's and the Mid Ordinate rules are the dryist, most time consuming topics in A Level Maths as a whole. I've lost count of the number of times I've debated gouging my own eyes out as opposed to facing the prospect of spending yet another 5 minutes tackling one of those beauties!!

The truth has been spoken :tongue:
Original post by iAkash
Yeah, Substitution is pretty annoying - especially when you have do it twice!

For the inverse trig graphs- if you're stuck just use your calc to find certain points like 90, 180 , etc and you'll understand the general shape.

Do you mean integration by parts twice?
Reply 26
Original post by the_googly
Do you mean integration by parts twice?

Yeah pretty much. I got confused for a sec.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by iAkash

I agree. I hate it when questions drag on too much.

Must say June 09 paper is pretty sweet
Original post by iAkash

For a sec, not a cosec?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 29
Original post by MarkProbio
For a sec, not a cosec?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Damn you! :s-smilie:

:biggrin:
What would you guys say is the hardest C3 past paper you've done? Want to try some hard ones to get me ready!
Original post by obsessedfreak95
What would you guys say is the hardest C3 past paper you've done? Want to try some hard ones to get me ready!

I found last year's tough but that's probably because it was the first one I did
Original post by obsessedfreak95

Jan 13 was the hardest i've tried in my opinion. If the last question doesn't click to start with, you're going to have a bad time... :P
I find the recent integration questions the hardest, but once you understand how to incorporate trig into substitution its not too bad.

Exact values are often pretty hard too, theres one question where the final answer is a fraction multiple of pi and - although I got the correct answer - my calculator left in decimal form. Weird. It was quite a weird decimal though!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oh my gosh, I did that paper aswell today. I had the blue/white casio calculaters and kept getting a decimal as an answer when IT WAS CLEARLY 2 FRACTIONS ADDING TOGETHER.
Original post by scarlotbridge
Oh my gosh, I did that paper aswell today. I had the blue/white casio calculaters and kept getting a decimal as an answer when IT WAS CLEARLY 2 FRACTIONS ADDING TOGETHER.

Click the F<->D button to interchange
Original post by MarkProbio
I find the recent integration questions the hardest, but once you understand how to incorporate trig into substitution its not too bad.

Exact values are often pretty hard too, theres one question where the final answer is a fraction multiple of pi and - although I got the correct answer - my calculator left in decimal form. Weird. It was quite a weird decimal though!

Posted from TSR Mobile

just divide answer by π and then try and figure out the fraction. e.g.: 1.047197551/π =0.33333 = so solution is π/3. (Or get natdisplay calc)

It was a fairly big fraction right? Could you remind us what paper it was on?

I know how to convert between fractions and decimals btw. Point is that when I added the two fractions together it came to something like 115563/2451111 (you get the picture) and my calculator kept giving me the decimal equivalent whereas the mark scheme had a simplified fraction, which still involved 4 digit numbers. I checked my answer was equivalent but there was no way without a marks scheme I could have simplified it in my head.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Sam_Chem
Jan 13 was the hardest i've tried in my opinion. If the last question doesn't click to start with, you're going to have a bad time... :P

hahaha okay i'll give it a go! thanks :smile:
oh my gosh, i did that paper aswell today. I had the blue/white casio calculaters and kept getting a decimal as an answer when it was clearly 2 fractions adding together.

i had this problem too!!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending