The Student Room Group

Filling feeling like it doesn't fit - normal?

Hey,

Had my first ever filling today. Was told to expect some discomfort for a day or two but i'm not sure if what i'm feeling is normal.

Ever since the anashetic wore off the filling has felt too big for my mouth. My bite no longer feels right. When i bite down the filling (in my lower back tooth) hits my top tooth before the rest of my teeth meet. The pressure put on the tooth with the filling in when i bite down fully when chewing causes discomfort - kinda like having a sensitive tooth. When i bite really hard i get a sharp pain that kinda stretches across a few of my teeth and up into the brain.

Can someone who's had fillings done before let me know whether this is normal? Was wondering whether i need to go back to the dentist or whether this feeling is just the discomfort he said i would probably get. Cheers.
Reply 1
Thats normal in my book, my bite doesnt feel right then i stop thinking about it and it has settled, dont worry!
Reply 2
Ummm ... I'm not a dentist but I know that when I've had a filling it can feel a bit odd for a day or so afterwards, like really 'noticeable' in your mouth, and a feeling that you're never going to get used to it. However, I think if the problems you are having continue then you should go back to your dentist asap - it could be that the filling hasn't been 'ground down' properly and is rubbing against your other teeth. That's probably not a good thing to be happening and you should go and get it sorted.
Reply 3
Leave it until the morning to see if its just swelling that goes away. If not give your dentist a call.
Reply 4
Thanks for the replies. I'll leave it 24/48 hours and if there is no improvement i'll go back and get it checked out.

Thanks again. Put my mind at rest.
Ask4Answers
Hey,

Had my first ever filling today. [...] When i bite really hard i get a sharp pain that kinda stretches across a few of my teeth and up into the brain.

:eek3: Stop!

Latest

Trending

Trending