The Student Room Group

Getting rid of bad spots/acne? (Photo)

I've always been pretty lucky with spots and only ever had them in my hairline aside from a rare few visible ones.
I've been ill the past two years with CF/ME so my skin has naturally been in a bad state. It's broken down pretty badly in the last couple weeks/months and I'm just fed up now because they're bright re and obvious. I've started wearing a lot more makeup and I've changed my hair to cover it but it's killing my confidence :/

My health isn't getting better any time soon so how do I deal with it? I live in an area with good air and I don't wear foundation/powder/face makeup aside from concealer on spots/undereye so my normal skin routine is just clean and moisturise (Aloe Vera) plus a cleanser/toner sometimes. I'm combination but my skin has become a lot oilier since these spots have started coming. They're mainly on my forehead but also on my nose and around my mouth.
I don't really want to use antibiotics so does anyone know any skin products that definitely work? I've tried a couple spot sticks but had no results and didn't want to waste more money tbh.

Help?
Reply 1
If you go to the doctors they won't give you antibiotics straight away - at one point I had bad spots (well they weren't that bad but they were kinda bad) and they prescribed me this cream you put on at night which just kinda dries them out and they all disappear eventually. i think it's prescription only though so you'd have to go to the doctors.
Obviously cleaning and stuff is a good step as well - you can get face wipes that are specially supposed to get rid of spots but they're quite expensive I think, my mum used to buy them for me...
I don't know anything about skin products, but I do know a few home remedies that might help.
get some turmeric from an Indian store. Add a little milk and make a paste. First test the mixture on ur skin before applying it to ur face (u might be allergic to it). Leave it to dry. Wash it off with cold water. Hope this helps. (I've been using this for ages)
I've also heard that tomato juice might help.
Aloe vera is pretty good too.
I have combination skin too, and recently I've been getting really bad spots. The best thing to do is to keep it simple. Just use a basic foaming facial wash (no scrubs) and a wash cloth. For the morning, wet your face with warm water. Then apply the facial wash. Rub it in using circular motions, particularly focussing on your T zone. Then wash it off with clean water and use an oil-free moisturiser. In the evening before you rinse off the face wash use the wash cloth to exfoliate your skin. My skin started to clear after the first day :smile: However, if the spots persist it is a good idea to use an antibiotic cream/gel, as they really work.
Reply 4
If you have acne you should really see a doctor. It doesn't clear up through using products because it has to do with an unbalance of hormones.

If it is just spots then I recommend using Salicylic acid. I have it in a bottle and put it on before going to sleep. It does dry out your skin a bit but it is effective. You can get it in foundations so that might also be another option.

There is also benzoyl peroxide which I'd like to try myself but it is supposed to be quite strong and really dry your skin out.

As mentioned by others use an oil free moisturiser as you don't want to be adding any more excess oil to your face. Maybelline have quite a few oil free foundations.

Also, don't use a face wash that is rough as it will likely irritate your skin more. It's best to use something gentle.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
First thing is drink a lot of water. Then are are natural products that could help mix, olive oil, honey, lemon and apply it on your face. I use a yogurt mask but you can use any vegetables/fruit and add a bit of oil to it.

I have recently ordered the freederm gel and its known for treating spots/aches in the most effective way. I will give you an update once it arrives.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
I read somewhere that you should either eat a lot of fish or take cod liver oil capsules - and that helps acne.
see a doctor get some cream, forgot the name. if its bad enough they might give you oxytetracyclin but that can cause side affects like thrush for women etc.
If you suffer with scars too use bio oil, keep your skin nice and healthy.

Drink 2+litres of water a day and cut out greasy foods!
I use to suffer from really bad acne until the GP prescribed me on Duac. This worked amazingly on my face & it cleared up most of my acne. Now I just have a couple of odd spots and a few blemishes, hardly noticeable. Although I had been using this cream for 6 months, last week it randomly decided to cause an allergic reaction to my face. It was very strange & very rare, but I immediately stopped using it. This past week I started noticing a few spots appearing on my forehead, since I hadn't been using the cream anymore. Today I went to the GP & I got prescribed to oxytetracycline tablets. I'm hoping these work on me to continue clearing my skin.
Original post by ohland
I've always been pretty lucky with spots and only ever had them in my hairline aside from a rare few visible ones.
I've been ill the past two years with CF/ME so my skin has naturally been in a bad state. It's broken down pretty badly in the last couple weeks/months and I'm just fed up now because they're bright re and obvious. I've started wearing a lot more makeup and I've changed my hair to cover it but it's killing my confidence :/

My health isn't getting better any time soon so how do I deal with it? I live in an area with good air and I don't wear foundation/powder/face makeup aside from concealer on spots/undereye so my normal skin routine is just clean and moisturise (Aloe Vera) plus a cleanser/toner sometimes. I'm combination but my skin has become a lot oilier since these spots have started coming. They're mainly on my forehead but also on my nose and around my mouth.
I don't really want to use antibiotics so does anyone know any skin products that definitely work? I've tried a couple spot sticks but had no results and didn't want to waste more money tbh.

Help?

YASSSSSS.
Finally a thread about acne!
Let me tell you the secret to amazing skin: BENZOYL PEROXIDE.

Benzoyl Peroxide comes in different percentages. Depending on how bad your acne state is -a doctor will prescribe it accordingly.

I should tell you. It dries out your face but there's a simple way to solve that. EXFOLIATION!
After you start using Benzoyl, use baking soda and water to make a paste apply and scrub your face.
This removes the shedding skin.

Stay away from the makeup- it just clogs your pores.
I mean, you might be embarrassed about everyone seeing your face in its natural state, but 2 months after you'll have a clear face so who'll be laughing then?

Trust me, the stuff works wonders!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending