The Student Room Group

Three Science A-Levels - Too Much Work?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by greekgirl
I am planning on doing Chemistry, Biology, Physics and English Lit for A-Level. I want to do medicine, which means I have to take Chemistry and Biology; and I would have taken Biology and Physics anyway if we were talking my ideal choices. I find English easy and relaxing, so that isn't a problem for me. But every time I tell someone my choices, they tell me that a) it's far too much work b) the course content is such that it will probably confuse me and c) I will hate it.

Opinions please? If it's of any relevance, I go to a good grammar school so the standard of teaching is fairly high (although that means all of these classes are likely to be quite big in size). Thank you!

Biology is a pain but is do-able :smile: From my friends' experiences, quite a few of them dislike Chemistry - however both subjects have areas that can be connect to one another!
I can guarantee that you won't hate if you enjoy those subjects! Although doing 3 sciences is a lot of work! You could compensate Physics for Psychology - Psychology has many areas that link up with Biology :smile:

Also, if you go to a grammar school then you'll be taught well and that always helps with the outcome of your results. How do you feel the teaching is at your school; do the teachers teach effectively?
I go to a private school and most teachers aren't effective at teaching which doesn't help when you want to get good grades..

Anyway, good luck!
(edited 10 years ago)

Original post by SchmackOmoli

Sorry, you sounded almost identical to my friend. You guys even type in a similar fashion xD
Reply 22
Original post by Lovinlife2
Biology is a pain but is do-able :smile: From my friends' experiences, quite a few of them dislike Chemistry - however both subjects have areas that can be connect to one another!
I can guarantee that you won't hate if you enjoy those subjects! Although doing 3 sciences is a lot of work! You could compensate Physics for Psychology - Psychology has many areas that link up with Biology :smile:

Also, if you go to a grammar school then you'll be taught well and that always helps with the outcome of your results. How do you feel the teaching is at your school; do the teachers teach effectively?
I go to a private school and most teachers aren't effective at teaching which doesn't help when you want to get good grades..

Anyway, good luck!

Thanks! The science department is probably the worst in my school, it's very hit and miss - some teachers are great and some are just horrendous. I thought about psychology because I want to be a psychiatrist but I would drop it AS and I prefer the A2 course.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 23
Original post by Silvan Elf
I did Chemistry, Biology, Maths and Envriomental Science, and the workload was fine. Just requires good time management.

Thanks for the advice :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 24
Original post by spleenharvester
This is from my perspective only, I am someone who takes Physics, Chemistry and Biology at A2 level, same for AS (didn't do an extra one).

I can tell you it is a LOT of work. If the teaching at your college is as bad as it is at mine (and that the students are as lazy), expect a lot of people around you to fail, and expect to have to self study your way through it (which I actually prefer doing). But obviously if they're good, that's a null point.

Don't let other people tell you what you can and can't handle with respect to workload, because everybody is different. By no means is the workload "unmanageable", not in the slightest. And boy does it feel good once the hard work pays off and you come out with good grades.

Also don't let people tell you you're working too hard, etc, or follow the group's general example - you need to use your own best judgement. I had plenty of people do that to me. A lot of them failed.

They do compliment eachother very well, moreso at A2 (eg nitrogen cycle and polypeptides in Biology coming up in Chemistry), and on occasion some parts of the syllabus are basically the same (eg the e=hf photon energy stuff in Physics also comes up in chemistry), which is always a nice surprise.

Don't be deterred by the amount of rediculously intelligent people on this site who are taking like 5 A levels and getting A*s across the board. Because there is a very high concentration of those people on this board compared to in real life. Don't let them tell you it will be "easy" either, because it won't be, unless you are incredibly capable (and I see plenty of comments to this effect every day).

Also don't be deterred by people saying Biology is the hardest, Chemistry is the hardest, etc. Everyone finds them differently (as evidenced by a poll on here not long ago where it was pretty much a random assortment). I personally find Biology by far the easiest (and most fun), and Physics to be by far the hardest. I was very surprised to find plenty of people have it the other way round.

Oh yeah, as regards to a fourth subject you find "easy"/"relaxing" - in my opinion, don't. It will get extremely irritating when you have work due in for that "fun" subject when you have work to be doing on your main subjects and could potentially end up losing marks because of it. Imo, if you're gonna take a fourth subject, choose one that's related in some way, or just stick to focusing on your three priority subjects, like I have done. :smile:

Hope that helps!

This was really helpful, thank you :smile: it's reassuring to see people with the same options, and I will definitely think about how I'm choosing my fourth subject.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by greekgirl
Thanks! The science department is probably the worst in my school, it's very hit and miss - some teachers are great and some are just horrendous. I thought about psychology because I want to be a psychiatrist but I would drop it AS and I prefer the A2 course.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You're welcome! Lovely to hear from you by the way; wasn't expecting a reply so it was a surprise :smile:

Ah, it's the same with my science department too, so we're in the same situation. Some teachers can be awful at teaching, others can be excellent! Aha.. yeah no psychology would be great to do, however you prefer the topics covered at A2 rather than AS? I guess I can agree with you on that, I much prefer the topics at A2 because it's more "real" and you can relate to the areas better however it's harder because you gotta write loads of essays which is a pain but can be mastered with practice and a lot of patience :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest