The Student Room Group

Help with Stats? Dice probability

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Forum User
No, the reason it is 2/3 is because you are told information about one specific face, the one face that was looked at. That is not the same at all as being given the information "B>=1".

In fact your answer is wrong, because given B>=1 the chance the card is BB is 1/2.

The faces are identical. You don't know which face is which.

Read my other post. There are also hundreds of explanations on the internet you can read that explain the crucial difference between selection and sampling and how it changes the way you calculate probabilities.
Original post by cole-slaw
The faces are identical. You don't know which face is which.

I read your other post but the very first answer you gave in it was wrong.

Your answer here is wrong as well. There is a difference between being given information about a specific side and information about 'at least one side', even if the sides are totally indistinguishable before being given that information. They are not afterwards, because in the first case it makes sense to talk about 'the other side', and in the second case it does not.

I am very well aware of the Monty Hall paradox.
(edited 10 years ago)
Incorrect. Its a question of sampling vs selection.

If you are sampling a card at random, and then telling me "at least one side is black/white" (whichever happens to be true) then the answer is 2/3.

You tricked me by changing the question. You sneaky little devil.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 43
I read your other post but the very first answer you gave in it was wrong.

Your answer here is wrong as well.

I am very well aware of the Monty Hall paradox.

With all due respect, you don't appear to be because you are making some very elementary errors here.
With all due respect, you don't appear to be because you are making some very elementary errors here.

No you.
Reply 45
This is wrong. The answer then is 1/2.

Let me explain an unbiased sampling procedure in detail:

If I pick the BB card, I say "at least one side is black".
If I pick the WW card, I say "at least one side is white"
If I pick the BW card, I say "at least one side is black" with probability 0.5, and "at least one side is white" with probability 0.5.

I pick a card. I say "at least one side is black".

What is the probability I have the BB card?

edit: I saw you replied 1/2 and then deleted your answer. This is ok, its good you are thinking about this in more detail.
(edited 10 years ago)

edit: I saw you replied 1/2 and then deleted your answer. This is ok, its good you are thinking about this in more detail.

Yes, because I realised that you have now changed the question to something unrelated to the OP.

You are asking a version that involves the motivation of the person announcing the information. i.e. "does the father of the child always announce Boy if he can, or does he choose randomly which sex to reveal if he has a choice", "does the picker of the card announce black if it is possible to do so, or does he randomize if he has a choice?" "We are told there is at least one four, but if the question setter had looked at a five we would have been told there was at least one five", etc etc.

That is now a totally different question from the one posed in the OP and the ones you posed subsequently, until you did a bait and switch at the bottom of page two. I realise that I answered 1/2 to a question two posts back where you mentioned something about 'unbiased selection' without bothering to read what you wrote. That's fine, you tricked me once :smile:

The question in the OP simply states that there is at least one four (and subsequent questions are the same, until you switched things up). If all that you are claiming is that the answer to the question in the OP would be different if we are also told that we are being given this information by someone who discloses a random face that it was possible to disclose, and he happened to disclose a '4', then you are correct but that claim is so uninteresting that I wish you had come out with it a few posts ago... I assumed you were attempting to answer the OP's question (which BabyMaths did correctly on page 1), and was arguing on that basis.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 47
Yes, because I realised that you have now changed the question to something unrelated to the OP.

You are asking a version that involves the motivation of the person announcing the information. i.e. "does the father of the child always announce Boy if he can, or does he choose randomly which sex to reveal if he has a choice", "does the picker of the card announce black if it is possible to do so, or does he randomize if he has a choice?" "We are told there is at least one four, but if the question setter had looked at a five we would have been told there was at least one five", etc etc.

That is now a totally different question from the one posed in the OP and the ones you posed subsequently, until you did a bait and switch at the bottom of page two. I realise that I answered 1/2 to a question two posts back where you mentioned something about 'unbiased selection' without bothering to read what you wrote.

That's fine, you tricked me once :smile:

The question in the OP simply states that there is at least one four (and subsequent questions are the same, until you switched things up). If all that you are claiming is that the answer to the question in the OP would be different if we are also told that we are being given this information by someone who discloses a random face that it was possible to disclose, and he happened to disclose a '4', then you are correct but that claim is so uninteresting that I wish you had come out with it a few posts ago :smile:

Thanks for the civil reply.

However it is not unrelated. The phrasing "at least one" is deliberately ambiguous, hence the reason it only ever arises in annoying probability questions and not in real life science. We either have to assume random unbiased sampling or deliberate selection. In real life, we would know which one we were talking about.

For example, if I select all the 2 children families with at least 1 boy, the probability of 2 boys is 1/3, whereas if I select a 2 child family at random, observe that there is "at least" one boy, then the probability of 2 boys is 1/2. One is selection, one is unbiased sampling.

Back to OP's question, lets reduce it to 2 dice for simplicity.

If I pick the number 4, roll two dice until I get at least one 4, and then announce this, what is the probability that there is exactly one 6?

If I roll two dice once only, observe both dice, and then announced "there is at least one 4", what is the probability than there is exactly one 6?

Which is the case in the OP? It doesn't say. I think scenario 2 is the more sensible assumption.
Reply 48

I flip two coins, a red coin and a blue coin. The possible results, with the result of the red coin shown first are {HH, HT, TH, TT}
I look at the coins that I have flipped and tell you that at least one of them is Tails. What is the probability they are both tails?.

I'm going to answer this here for completeness and for people's interest.

Given the perfectly valid and logical assumption that the observer has no intrinsic bias or preference for reporting tails over heads, the correct answer is 1/2.
x

In both of your latest examples the probability is the same, since you are not fixing the value of one die. That is the crucial point which you seem to be missing.

For someone claiming the other person is making elementary errors, you've been wrong since your first post and Forum User has been spot on.
(edited 10 years ago)

For example, if I select all the 2 children families with at least 1 boy, the probability of 2 boys is 1/3, whereas if I select a 2 child family at random, observe that there is "at least" one boy, then the probability of 2 boys is 1/2. One is selection, one is unbiased sampling.

I agree with the first bit, "if I select all the 2 children families...."

The second bit seems to me to pose exactly the same question as (1). I think what you were getting it is something I would have phrased along the lines of "I select a two child family at random. I then select a child at random, note its sex, and then announce "there is at least one X", where X is the sex of the child that I selected". Or perhaps you thought that was implicit in what you wrote, but that is not the meaning that I took from it. I simply understood it as meaning nothing more or less than that "there is at least one boy is a true statement about this family".

In any case, in probability questions if we are told some fact F, all that is meant is that F is true, that is the sample space is reduced to those outcomes where F is satisfied. We do not need to consider that we might have been told some other fact F' in some other unspecified circumstances. But usually a question like the OPs would just state "there is at least one 4", not "we are told that there is at least one 4". The former is probably better as there are no questions about the motivations of the 'teller'.
Reply 51
Original post by ClickItBack
In both of your latest examples the probability is the same, since you are not fixing the value of one die. That is the crucial point which you seem to be missing.

For someone claiming the other person is making elementary errors, you've been wrong since your first post and Forum User has been spot on.

I find it equal parts worrying and hilarious that people think that labelling dice with numbers or letters makes any difference to the underlying probabilities.
Reply 52
I find it equal parts worrying and hilarious that people think that labelling dice with numbers or letters makes any difference to the underlying probabilities.

Have you stopped to consider why everybody in this thread thinks you're completely wrong?
Reply 53
I agree with the first bit, "if I select all the 2 children families...."

The second bit seems to me to pose exactly the same question as (1). I think what you were getting it is something I would have phrased along the lines of "I select a two child family at random. I then select a child at random, note its sex, and then announce "there is at least one X", where X is the sex of the child that I selected". Or perhaps you thought that was implicit in what you wrote, but that is not the meaning that I took from it. I simply understood it as meaning nothing more or less than that "there is at least one boy is a true statement about this family".

In any case, in probability questions if we are told some fact F, all that is meant is that F is true, that is the sample space is reduced to those outcomes where F is satisfied. We do not need to consider that we might have been told some other fact F' in some other unspecified circumstances. But usually a question like the OPs would just state "there is at least one 4", not "we are told that there is at least one 4". The former is probably better as there are no questions about the motivations of the 'teller'.

Bottom line is: if you don't consider how the information was obtained, you're going to get the wrong answer more often than not.
Reply 54
Original post by Swayum
Have you stopped to consider why everybody in this thread thinks you're completely wrong?

I'm not really interested in argumentum ad populum. Forum User has engaged with my argument and has at least partly agreed that I am correct that the question is ambiguous and that if you make different assumptions about its exact contents you can obtain two different answers.

Reread and had to think about it a tad, but you're wrong.

At no point in your example are you labelling a specific die either with numbers or letters. That's the crucial distinction to make.
Reply 56

I said: "if I select a 2 child family at random, observe that there is "at least" one boy"

by "observe that there is at least one boy", you can equally validly assume that I either observed one child and reported its sex or I observed both children and reported the sex of one of them at random. Provided I remain unbiased on my preference for reporting the presence of either boys or girls, the answer remains 1/2.
I said: "if I select a 2 child family at random, observe that there is "at least" one boy"

by "observe that there is at least one boy", you can equally validly assume that I either observed one child and reported its sex or I observed both children and reported the sex of one of them at random. Provided I remain unbiased on my preference for reporting the presence of either boys or girls, the answer remains 1/2.

Yes, both are the same, and both 1/2 as you say.
Reply 58
Yes, both are the same, and both 1/2 as you say.

Do you also agree with my coin toss argument, which is basically identical except H and T replace G and B?
Do you also agree with my coin toss argument, which is basically identical except H and T replace G and B?

Yes, if you are told by someone who has looked at the coins that "there is at least one T", and if the person chose randomly whether to state "there is at least one H" or "there is at least one T" when he flipped "HT" (or if he only looked at one coin and reported on that), the questions are identical.
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest