The Student Room Group

I want to go into politics, but I don't know how to do it

I am absolutely intrigued by politics and I believe I'd be a fantastic MP, but I'm finding it hard to research the best way to become an actual MP. I have an unconditional offer to study law at Bangor University, but will this help me with my career into politics? I know Obama used his law degree to get into politics, but what else will I have to do? Do I have to do an extra degree? Or do I just start from the bottom and work my way up?
Original post by Saunders1995
I am absolutely intrigued by politics and I believe I'd be a fantastic MP, but I'm finding it hard to research the best way to become an actual MP. I have an unconditional offer to study law at Bangor University, but will this help me with my career into politics? I know Obama used his law degree to get into politics, but what else will I have to do? Do I have to do an extra degree? Or do I just start from the bottom and work my way up?

I don't think Obama is a good example. Firstly, and most obviously, he was elected in the American political system, which is a bit different to Britain's.

Secondly, he went to Harvard Law School (After an undergraduate degree at Columbia) and became the first black editor and president of the Harvard Law Review, which got him national recognition, and then he got a publishing deal and wrote a book.
Reply 2
Maybe you're right, Obama isn't a good example, but he still made it with his law degree. I want to know how I can do it to, or even if I can do it.
Reply 3
1. Buy political influence.

2. Enter local politics as a counsellor to prove your worth first.

3. Be a presence within your community as a campaigner.

Either way, it will take years unless you buy your way in and/or have friends in high places.
Law is a good degree for getting into politics, that I know. I'm no expert about "how" you get into politics exactly but I expect thinking outside of the box will help. Unlike lawyers and doctors, politicians don't go to university to "train" to become politicians. It's more subtle than that. You should try to get some work experience in politics, for example in local council offices, and when you go to university make sure you are "politically active" in joining political societies, getting your name out there and having an opinion.

Read up about the backgrounds of certain politicians and see how they got into politics; that should give you an idea of the diversity of people in politics but also show the common factors which underlie their experience.
(edited 10 years ago)
Politics is more who you know than what you know. If you don't know anyone then you're probably going to have to start out volunteering for a party/politician.
Reply 6
Become a local parish Councillor.

Then, become a district Councillor.

Then, become an MP.
Reply 7
Honestly, from what I can tell you need to know someone, it's all done through being a friend of a friend, or you have to dupe a load of people into following you and supporting your every word no matter what you say. Can't understand why anyone would want to be an MP, you'll be hated by everyone and understood by no one, and you won't be able to move up to a major position in parliament unless you've gone to Oxbridge anyway.
Promise a brighter future and then don't deliver.
Reply 9
Maybe you're right, Obama isn't a good example, but he still made it with his law degree. I want to know how I can do it to, or even if I can do it.

Here's what you do. If you're at either of England's two decent universities, it's actually quite easy to try to break onto the political scene. If you're not, don't bother.

First of all, join CUCA/the oxford equivalent of CUCA. Hobnob with the other people there. They have speakers from the Conservative Party every once in a while and they may or may not take notice of you and put in a good word back at the Party. If they do, count your blessings and thank God. If they don't, no matter, you can still make it.

When you graduate and (possibly) finish your pupillage, check the Internet to look for retiring Labour city councillors/MP's. If you find a space, the Tory Party will be holding a hustings to see if they can field a young, idealistic candidate with his eyes still shining and a heart still beating to replace the outgoing Labour man. Find out where the hustings will be and put yourself forward.

They will interview you and if said CUCA speaker is still alive and puts in a good word, you will be selected. You will lose, most likely---the easier it is to stand in the election, the safer Labour seat it is. The more inexperienced you are, the safer Labour seat they will put you in. After a few rounds of busting your arse to stand for election and losing miserably, the Tory Party will remember you and hopefully invite you to stand for election in a swing seat, one where you have a fighting chance.

====

The above was given to me as advice by my H.o.L. cross-bencher uncle. Consequently, I don't take responsibility for the factual accuracy, but it all seems about right to me (I want to do the politics thing too).
I can't believe no one has said this. Do a degree in PPE (Philosophy, Politics and Economics); that's what Ed Miliband and David Cameron did.
Reply 11
Original post by honeywhite
Here's what you do. If you're at either of England's two decent universities, it's actually quite easy to try to break onto the political scene. If you're not, don't bother.

First of all, join CUCA/the oxford equivalent of CUCA. Hobnob with the other people there. They have speakers from the Conservative Party every once in a while and they may or may not take notice of you and put in a good word back at the Party. If they do, count your blessings and thank God. If they don't, no matter, you can still make it.

When you graduate and (possibly) finish your pupillage, check the Internet to look for retiring Labour city councillors/MP's. If you find a space, the Tory Party will be holding a hustings to see if they can field a young, idealistic candidate with his eyes still shining and a heart still beating to replace the outgoing Labour man. Find out where the hustings will be and put yourself forward.

They will interview you and if said CUCA speaker is still alive and puts in a good word, you will be selected. You will lose, most likely---the easier it is to stand in the election, the safer Labour seat it is. The more inexperienced you are, the safer Labour seat they will put you in. After a few rounds of busting your arse to stand for election and losing miserably, the Tory Party will remember you and hopefully invite you to stand for election in a swing seat, one where you have a fighting chance.

====

The above was given to me as advice by my H.o.L. cross-bencher uncle. Consequently, I don't take responsibility for the factual accuracy, but it all seems about right to me (I want to do the politics thing too).

That's great advice and I will definitely take it on board, I hope you make it in the politics world. Are you studying at university level? If so what and where are you studying?
Reply 12
That's great advice and I will definitely take it on board, I hope you make it in the politics world. Are you studying at university level? If so what and where are you studying?

Applied for same as you: Law @ Cam.
Original post by Rascacielos
Law is a good degree for getting into politics, that I know. I'm no expert about "how" you get into politics exactly but I expect thinking outside of the box will help. Unlike lawyers and doctors, politicians don't go to university to "train" to become politicians. It's more subtle than that. You should try to get some work experience in politics, for example in local council offices, and when you go to university make sure you are "politically active" in joining political societies, getting your name out there and having an opinion.

Read up about the backgrounds of certain politicians and see how they got into politics; that should give you an idea of the diversity of people in politics but also show the common factors which underlie their experience.

If you wanna be a Labour politician, just learn to lie really well. However, if you actually think you can make good decisions, you need to start on a local level, really. Politics is boring as hell, though. I know a lot about politics but I would never go into it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending