The Student Room Group

Need help on Human Biology: Enzymes!!!

I have three questions I'm stuck on -
Can you Explain the role of enzymes as biological catalysts in metabolic reactions.

Can you Explain the functioning of enzymes: how this can be affected by changes in temperature and pH.

Describe how to carry out simple controlled experiments to illustrate how enzyme activity can be affected by changes in temperature.

Thank you in advance !!
Reply 1
The role of enzymes

Enzymes are polypeptide chains of amino acids (protein) that are required in order to allow some chemical reactions to take place at body temperature. Enzymes have an area called an active site which is a complementary shape to the substrate that it is catalysing. They work by forming an enzyme substrate complex which lowers the activation enthalpy for the break down/reaction of the molecule. With out enzymes, many body reactions will not take place as the body is not hot enough to provide the substrates with enough energy in order for a reaction to take place. Furthermore, the enzyme must have a perfectly complementary active site that can hold the substrate. As a result, enzymes usually only catalyse the reaction/break down of one or very few substrates.

I can't write any more as i have work now. Haha! This is what i remeber from memory so please check this information to make sure it is accurate. I'm sure it is accurate, but please check as i'm not 100% sure.

I will answer the rest tonight.

I hope this helps.

Kade
Reply 2
Ph affects enzyme activation because they each have an optimum ph at which they work eg pepsin works in the acidic environment of HCL in the stomach. The activation optimum is ph 2. After a certain temp enzymes denature.
An experime
nt for this:
http://www.odinity.com/effects-temperature-ph-enzyme-concentration-amylase/
Thank you, again

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest