The Student Room Group

Silly things you believed as a child

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Applescruff
My parents used to tell me that if I wasn't asleep by midnight then God would kidnap me to live on the moon.... For 7 years, I believed them.

:rofl:
parents you've gotta love them
I believed my uncle in his late 30's was 9 for a while (until I reached the age of 9).

It was difficult to pull the wool over my eyes in most cases, I figured out Santa wasn't real at 5.
Reply 82
That eating bread crusts made your hair curly. I refused to eat mine as my hair was already curly and I wanted it to be straight.

That babies were put in their mummy's tummy by their daddy using magic.

My brother used to think that in the "olden days" ie pre 1970s the world was in black and white because most photos, films and tv programmes from then were.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MidnightDream
I believed that if I cut out the pictures from books the character would come to life :colondollar: so I tried it out with my Barbie books and needless to say my mum wasn't best pleased :laugh:

So what silly things did you believe?

That i was a princess who had been adopted and one day i would regain my place with the royal family and that i could transform into a winx fairy :')!
i used to think that the speed of light was the speed it took the light to turn on when you pressed the light switch. I was such a fool!!!!!:biggrin:
Reply 85
I used to believe that baby making could result just from two adults kissing each other.
Honestly, I was quite shocked to find otherwise at age of 8...
Reply 86
After I learned about sex, I used to believe people fell asleep straight after they finished. I thought this because my parents didn't mind if I watched their TV shows as long as they weren't scary, and there seemed to be a lot of times when adults would have sex with each other and say they regretted it when they woke up the next day. I didn't understand why they didn't regret it straight after, so I just assumed sex made people very sleepy.
Reply 87
Original post by MidnightDream
Hahaha :laugh:
I believed the moon thing to :five: I always used ask to my dad "daddy why's the moon coming home with us?"

Haha aww yeah I used to think i controlled the moons movements :biggrin:
oh the same with clouds too!
Reply 88
Original post by FishLover
I used to believe the same thing except, for some reason, I thought that only girls developed the ability to read minds.

OMG really..? That is so weird... I wonder why we both thought this,:eek: as there is no evidence to suggest why we thought this, is there? Wow we were weird kids...:colondollar:
Reply 89
Monsters under my bed. :|
Reply 90
That if I hold it in too long and not go to the toilet my bladder would burst and I would die.

haha
I could never get the concept of clocks going forward; so I used to believe that people used to jump time when the clocks went forward as though to represent we're going faster than time itself, and between March and October I believed we had an extra hour allocated to us per day, (so 6 x 30 x 1 = 180 hours, roughly) which we then got back when we wound the clocks back an hour, which I thought used to detract that time.

Bluntly, I thought between March and October we had 180 extra hours before time straightened itself out - which the clocks winding back an hour neutralised that by taking away

...Stephen Hawking, eat your heart out :biggrin:

(I'll get my coat... :getmecoat:)
Original post by gemmam
That eating bread crusts made your hair curly. I refused to eat mine as my hair was already curly and I wanted it to be straight.

That babies were put in their mummy's tummy by their daddy using magic.

My brother used to think that in the "olden days" ie pre 1970s the world was in black and white because most photos, films and tv programmes from then were.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I thought the same, only with olives making your chest hair curly :colondollar:
Reply 93
Original post by Lakesx
I used to believe that when adults turned 18 they gained the ability to read children's thoughts! I was such a weird child... :confused:
I was actually talking to one of my friends about this and they said they used to think this too! So I do not know where we got this from...
Also, the moon used to follow my car:colondollar:

In primary school, I used to always wonder if the year above me had some kind of special powers they were taught to use but no one ever knew about it because it was a really big secret. Needless to say, I was sorely disappointed every time I moved up a year! :colondollar:
Reply 94
Original post by Joshalos
In primary school, I used to always wonder if the year above me had some kind of special powers they were taught to use but no one ever knew about it because it was a really big secret. Needless to say, I was sorely disappointed every time I moved up a year! :colondollar:

YAY, someone else had such a vivid imagination!:biggrin: I used to also think it was a massive secret that was kept from children, and if any adult told children they would have their powers taken away from them... and that was the way they kept up this deception from children!:eek:
Yes, I still am disappointed..:frown:
That 'Bill Payer' was an actual person you had to go to for permission in phone-in competitions.
That the songs on radio were sang live and the whole band was standing right there in the studio..:facepalm:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Your hair won't grow longer unless you have it cut regularly
that if i covered my eyes and couldnt see someone the couldnt see me either :ninja:
I hoped, really hoped, that I would grow up to have long blonde hair and bright blue eyes and for a time, I thought it could happen. I am, in the plainest of words, brown.

Quick Reply

Latest