The Student Room Group

this is URGENT HELP ME PLEASE!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Qymberley
I can't believe they can kick to out for something that isn't your fault. I also recommend you call ofsted about this also and see what they say because you were ill, you weren't slacking or being lazy. Also, your head teacher sounds like a bitch

I know they personally said to me on Monday that they can see that I look ill. They should be helping me by giving me support on work, extending deadlines or just letting me do the work. I have thought about calling ofsted also about complaining to the school. However the problem of these factors are that they are going to take time and there isn't much of that left.
Original post by Klix88
Most schools will allow some kind of appeal via the Board of Governers in this situation. They are there to act as a kind of external oversight for the way the school runs. See if you can find a contact for them and ask whether someone will review your situation and discuss it with the school staff. They won't necessarily act on your behalf, but they should provide an independent review of how you've been treated and whether the school has followed their internal procedures properly.

Yeah my school does. My mam got a complaints letter yesterday, however first school assess the situation then the headteacher and then it goes to the board of governers. However, this is going to take a lot of time to reach all the steps.
Reply 22
Original post by Anonymousgirll
I am dead set on doing my exams and I have paid for 2 exam resit's myself. Doing them privately next year would cost me more in terms of money. I have 1 1/2 to 2 months until my exams. The year hasn't gone belly up yet. I didn't get good grades hence resitting last because of personal issues last year. I literally couldn't do anymore chasing up I emailed my teacher, my Mam rang the school and she always had to leave answer phone messages. She personally went to the school and got told the head of sixth form would ring her. Then she went again and got told the same. I had a total of 7 doctors appointments and on the 7th one I got told what was wrong. I am committed because I want to be able to work hard in the time that I have got remaining. Which in theory isn't long but if I work hard enough I could make the best out of this situation.

Sorry if my previous message sounded bit harsh just wanted to understand situation better. I do feel for you so I apologise if sounded like I was getting at you. Wasn't saying you weren't committed rather that you have to be really committed. But hard to get words across via text sometimes. Didn't realise you had to pay for the resits as I was never in that situation so I didn't know what the deal was. It does sound like the school have neglected their duty to you but it's the time constraint that is worrying. Even if you get the response you want off them/successful appeal it doesn't leave much time and as previously mentioned coursework deadline is an issue. I'm always a worst case scenario girl (born pessimist! :colondollar:) and consider what would happen if you did manage to take the exams this year but don't do as expected then what would your next step be? I presume you want to go to uni?
Original post by laalNick
Sorry if my previous message sounded bit harsh just wanted to understand situation better. I do feel for you so I apologise if sounded like I was getting at you. Wasn't saying you weren't committed rather that you have to be really committed. But hard to get words across via text sometimes. Didn't realise you had to pay for the resits as I was never in that situation so I didn't know what the deal was. It does sound like the school have neglected their duty to you but it's the time constraint that is worrying. Even if you get the response you want off them/successful appeal it doesn't leave much time and as previously mentioned coursework deadline is an issue. I'm always a worst case scenario girl (born pessimist! :colondollar:) and consider what would happen if you did manage to take the exams this year but don't do as expected then what would your next step be? I presume you want to go to uni?

No its fine. I realise that I have to be really committed and I am willing to do all that it takes by putting in 8-10 hours a day if I really have to or even more. Yeah you do have to pay for resits if your doing them as a private candidate elsewhere. Even if your resitting them at your own school you have to pay for them. They have neglected their duty to a student of their establishment. They are meant to help me because they are aware that I have been ill and they made comment on it on Monday saying that you look ill. So they should be giving me extra time or helping me. Instead they are saying that they have took my name off the schools list. I know if I appeal against their decision or put in a complaint that is likely to take weeks or even over a month. I think and still strongly believe that I can get better grades than what I got last year. I have applied to university and have offers and interviews.
Original post by Horsedobbin
Hmm, have you missed the school's deadlines for handing in coursework? I think you probably have and the school would have to adjust their internal moderation dates to fit you in wouldn't they? Or perhaps all the coursework has already been moderated and samples sent off to the moderator.

No for the two units of coursework which are running side by side to each other the deadline for that is 2 weeks. Then they get marked by the teacher during the easter holidays then we get a week for corrections.
No for the two units of coursework which are running side by side to each other the deadline for that is 2 weeks. Then they get marked by the teacher during the easter holidays then we get a week for corrections.

Yep but coursework is meant to be supervised by teachers so they can confirm that it's your own work and if you haven't been there for them to check it from time to time they can't sign it.
edit.Also coursework is not meant to be marked in detail / corrected by teachers and then written up incorporating all of their detailed corrections. The exam boards would count that as cheating. Coursework is meant to be your own work. Teachers can make a few general remarks but should not correct coursework in any detail and certainly should not write any part of it for you.
Coursework for the whole year is not meant to be written in the last two weeks before the deadline but should be done in stages over the course.If you try to do it all in the last two weeks it's very unlikely to be good enough,so hard as it is to accept, the school is doing you a favour by not allowing you to continue, in my opinion.
(edited 10 years ago)
Yep but coursework is meant to be supervised by teachers so they can confirm that it's your own work and if you haven't been there for them to check it from time to time they can't sign it.
edit.Also coursework is not meant to be marked in detail / corrected by teachers and then written up incorporating all of their detailed corrections. The exam boards would count that as cheating. Coursework is meant to be your own work. Teachers can make a few general remarks but should not correct coursework in any detail and certainly should not write any part of it for you.
Coursework for the whole year is not meant to be written in the last two weeks before the deadline but should be done in stages over the course.If you try to do it all in the last two weeks it's very unlikely to be good enough,so hard as it is to accept, the school is doing you a favour by not allowing you to continue, in my opinion.

I get what your saying but your supposed to do this yourself. It's ICT and the units that I am doing is the ones which you have to manage yourself the teachers give you limited help on them as they are planning and creating units. They won't be writing any parts of it for me. We started these units at the end of January. They are not doing my a favour they are doing themselves a favour.
. We started these units at the end of January

How much have you done since January?
How much have you done since January?

Quite a bit did the two main big tasks along with another task which is worth 20 marks a plan chart and designs so a total of 6/7
Quite a bit did the two main big tasks along with another task which is worth 20 marks a plan chart and designs so a total of 6/7

So why don't you just finish it off, and hand it in to show the level of work you are capable of?
Reply 30
This may have been mentioned previously, however I know someone that was ill during their exams for A-levels and whom received relatively bad grades as a result. They were able to convince the school to take them back a year to repeat the exams. It might be worth asking if you could stay behind a year if you dont have any problems with that (I depends how much you want to stay in your schol)
So why don't you just finish it off, and hand it in to show the level of work you are capable of?

Because if they are saying my name has been taken off the school and I can't do it anymore. I have two weeks in which I can get it done in but they don't believe that I can.
Original post by k.qmul
This may have been mentioned previously, however I know someone that was ill during their exams for A-levels and whom received relatively bad grades as a result. They were able to convince the school to take them back a year to repeat the exams. It might be worth asking if you could stay behind a year if you dont have any problems with that (I depends how much you want to stay in your schol)

Thanks for your reply but this is already a repeat year. They aren't going to let me repeat another year but then they are not letting me finish this one either. It's like I can't win.
I have been told that my name has been taken off school today because I haven't been well for 5 weeks now and haven't been to school. My teachers know I am ill and they are still saying that I have to leave the school.

I had a meeting today with the deputy head and the head of sixth form and my Mam went also. This is where they told me that I wouldn't get good grades and I have missed so much and haven't got enough time to catch up. I have three weeks which I think is a sufficient amount of time proving that I work extremely hard.

Can my school actually kick me out basically because I haven't been well?

This is a very difficult situation to be in and I'm sure everyone reading it will empathise with you.

As far as I can see from looking at the government websites the Local Education Authority has a statutory duty to provide a minimum level of education.

If you are unable to attend school through certified medical conditions, then the Local education Authority is obliged to make arrangements for your continued education. This does not have to be at your current school and it can be private home tuition for instance. So the school is within it's rights to remove you from the admissions register so long as they have agreed this with the LEA and the LEA has made proviion for continued education.

However, it seems because you are no longer of compulsory education age any provisions the school makes for you is entirely at their discretion and goodwill. It seems that they have already done this as you are effectively in yr 14 now because this year is a resit?

To have a case for continued education, you would need to prove that the school and the LEA failed to meet the statutory minimum education requirements. Doing this will be a long and protracted process so you have to make a decision: is it in your best interests to go down this path with no guarantee of success and waste a lot of time which could be better spent on your actual education albeit under your own expenses.

I'm not qualified to say whether you have a case or not. But you should definitely seek independent advice from the LEA as you have paid for your resits and they will be obliged to allow you to sit them under controlled conditions. That ironically may be within your current school, but you would be an independent student and therefore will not appear on the schools statistics if that makes sense?

Definitely contact your LEA though.

This document (whole and especiall para 18 and 19):

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/269469/health_needs_guidance__-_revised_may_2013_final.pdf

Section 8 of ths document:

http://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov.uk/20130401151715/https://www.education.gov.uk/publications/eOrderingDownload/UKSI-20061751.pdf

Hope this is of help.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 34
Original post by uberteknik
This is a very difficult situation to be in and I'm sure everyone reading it will empathise with you.

As far as I can see from looking at the government websites the Local Education Authority has a statutory duty to provide a minimum level of education.

If you are unable to attend school through certified medical conditions, then the Local education Authority is obliged to make arrangements for your continued education. This does not have to be at your current school and it can be private home tuition for instance. So the school is within it's rights to remove you from the admissions register so long as they have agreed this with the LEA and the LEA has made proviion for continued education.

However, it seems because you are no longer of compulsory education age any provisions the school makes for you is entirely at their discretion and goodwill. It seems that they have already done this as you are effectively in yr 14 now because this year is a resit?

To have a case for continued education, you would need to prove that the school and the LEA failed to meet the statutory minimum education requirements. Doing this will be a long and protracted process so you have to make a decision: is it in your best interests to go down this path with no guarantee of success and waste a lot of time which could be better on your actual education albeit under your own expenses.

I'm not qualified to say whether you have a case or not. But you should definitely seek independent advice from the LEA as you have paid for your resits and they will be obliged to allow you to sit them under controlled conditions. That ironically may be within your current school, but you would be an independent student and therefore will not appear on the schools statistics if tat makes sense?

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/269469/health_needs_guidance__-_revised_may_2013_final.pdf

http://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov.uk/20130401151715/https://www.education.gov.uk/publications/eOrderingDownload/UKSI-20061751.pdf

Hope this is of help.

Anonymousgirll this is the best advice
Because if they are saying my name has been taken off the school and I can't do it anymore. I have two weeks in which I can get it done in but they don't believe that I can.

So I still don't see why you can't just finish it off and send it in by post,which will prove them wrong. You can keep a copy of it.

as you have paid for your resits and they will be obliged to allow you to sit them under controlled conditions. .

But if she doesn't complete the coursework , hand it in and have it accepted there would be no point in sitting formal written exams because she'd either fail or get very low grades.
The school is not obliged to accept coursework unless it has been completed on time and under prescribed conditions ; also they have to certify that it is the candidate's own work.
She states that she has almost completed coursework for one of her A levels but hasn't mentioned any other coursework. I don't see what she has to lose by completing her coursework and handing/sending it in anyway, even if they have removed her from the school roll.If she shows that she's done the work to a good standard they may then reconsider the whole thing. I wonder if there is more to this than has been revealed.

The second document , section 8, refers only to chidren of compulsory school age. As the OP is (or was) in year 14 and presumably over 18, how would this apply to her?
I'm not sure that she would be defined as a child of school age, although she was at school.Maybe someone else could help with this.
The school is not obliged to accept coursework unless it has been completed on time and under prescribed conditions ; also they have to certify that it is the candidate's own work................................. I wonder if there is more to this than has been revealed.

Without knowing the full facts/history from both student and schools perspectives, a reasoned response cannot be made.

You may well be correct though: that the coursework is executed outside of controlled conditions and time-limits and therefore likely to be rejected on those grounds alone.

Life can be very unfair through no fault of ones own. Accepting that unfairness is a test of character.

On the face of it the OP's health and well being is of paramount importance. Getting well again should be her primary focus and then making plans to continue her education at perhaps college. Universities will be sympathetic especially since she has an official record of her illness.

Ultimately it's about gaining entry to university and performing at her best when she gets there. Even if that now means having to wait a little longer and funding the interim with her own/parents resources.

To have a case for continued education, you would need to prove that the school and the LEA failed to meet the statutory minimum education requirements. Doing this will be a long and protracted process so you have to make a decision: is it in your best interests to go down this path with no guarantee of success and waste a lot of time which could be better spent on your actual education albeit under your own expenses.

I'm not qualified to say whether you have a case or not. But you should definitely seek independent advice from the LEA as you have paid for your resits and they will be obliged to allow you to sit them under controlled conditions. That ironically may be within your current school, but you would be an independent student and therefore will not appear on the schools statistics if that makes sense?

Definitely contact your LEA though.

Hope this is of help.

Thank you for the detail within your reply and your research into the Local Education Authority. I just feel really ill I don't as such have certified medical condition. I have got medication from the doctors though. School know that I am ill and they commented that I look ill. The problem is that they won't let me finish this year of my A levels. Yes I am resitting and I am in Year 14. I have had a look at the documents thank you for sending them. But I agree with what you said as it mentions children and like your said about being the compulsory school age. I just don't know what else to do. My Mam has requested to have another meeting with them as they didn't even let me get my points forward on Monday.

Quick Reply

Latest