The Student Room Group

Manager being awkward with references

I am currently looking for another job, but am slightly worried about when it comes to my manager giving me a reference.
I know what the manager is like, and when i finally get a job she will say yes to giving a reference, but will then is likely to not actually do it. She will likely end up saying "im sorting it" every time you ask her to do it. And then end up doing it 3 years later or not at all.
Other people have said similar things about the manager and they think she is the same.
What would i do if i was in this situation and the manager said she would give me a reference but never actually do it.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Emma:-)
I am currently looking for another job, but am slightly worried about when it comes to my manager giving me a reference.
I know what the manager is like, and when i finally get a job she will say yes to giving a reference, but will then is likely to not actually do it. She will likely end up saying "im sorting it" every time you ask her to do it. And then end up doing it 3 years later or not at all.
Other people have said similar things about the manager and they think she is the same.
What would i do if i was in this situation and the manager said she would give me a reference but never actually do it.

Hi,

If she says she will give a reference, then I would put her down as a referee and when your new employer tries to contact her, either she will provide the reference (I don't think it takes much time at all) or she won't. If she doesn't, your new employer will probably tell you and then you can maybe provide another referee details instead or contact her/email her to say it's urgent ?

Good Luck!:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending