The Student Room Group

St Andrews or LSE

I have 2 unconditional offers one for Anthropology and Law at LSE and one for social anthropology and philosophy at St Andrews. I literally have no clue which one to choose. Career wise I would very much like to become a lawyer specifying in human rights cases, Both uni have pro and cons and the more I think about it the more confused I am :/ can any one offer some advise please ?
Saint Andrews
Reply 2
Original post by A***E
I have 2 unconditional offers one for Anthropology and Law at LSE and one for social anthropology and philosophy at St Andrews. I literally have no clue which one to choose. Career wise I would very much like to become a lawyer specifying in human rights cases, Both uni have pro and cons and the more I think about it the more confused I am :/ can any one offer some advise please ?

I would not have thought it was so difficult to decide between LSE in the heart of London aand St Andrews a quiet if beautifil backwater in the middle of nowhere. Personally, I would go for St Andrews, as did son, which is how I know it
St Andrews.

A Law-combo degree doesnt actually fit you for anything worthwhile. You'd still need to do a postgrad on top and these would be available whatever first degree you did - http://www.soas.ac.uk/law/programmes/ma/mahumrightslaw/ OR http://www.gold.ac.uk/pg/ma-human-rights/ as just two examples.
The Anthropology/Law course isn't LLB. This is a dual honours course without the full required Law content for LLB.
Reply 5
the dual honours at lse is a qualifying law degree, i am particularly worried about social life and also the cost of living. I have to pay my first year tuition fees myself so i will be living of maintenance loan with no extra savings , Is it easy to find a part time job in london? also is the social aspect of lse as bad as everyone makes out? also prestige is a big thing for me so do you guys reckon there much of a difference between the prestige of lse and st andrews?

I am soo unconfused :/
Reply 6
Hi,

I am applying for LSE for the Anthropology and Law course. Could you please tell whether, academically, achieving AAB is enough or are the average grades achieved for the course much higher than that?
Having said that, I do have 4 As at A-level and am retaking some modules.
LAW AT LSE?!?! so lucky, hope to be in your position next year (1st year at college right now>_<)
Personally, i'd be jumping @ law omg wow rly im in awe.
Law at Oxford asks for AAA, but, yeah, they're an anomaly amongst the top UK law schools in that respect.
But that's based on what their students (/successful offer holders) actually achieve, as opposed to what they have to achieve to meet their offer and confirm their place there.

I don't think that's true; I think AAA is their typical offer for Law. I shall try to find a source to back this up...
Of course, but I took you saying "An offer at their minimum is unlikely" to mean that Oxford's standard offer for Law was unlikely to be AAA - did I misinterpret this?
I shall take that as a yes...

I have to say I disagree, it would be illogical for Oxford to set their entry requirements at AAA if candidates predicted AAA had little chance of submitting a successful application... Many of the Cambridge college's reps on here have often stated that they are looking for candidates that are on track to meet their standard offer, so I don't see why this wouldn't also be the case for Oxford (even if most of their applicants will likely be predicted >AAA and end up achieving ~A*A*A at A2).
The anthro and law course at LSE asks for AAB, by the way. I'm surprised more people don't go for it.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest