The Student Room Group

Is it possible to improve my Literature grade from a C to an A in 2 months? (OCR)

Hi guys,
I'm studying Midsummer Night's Dream from Section A and for Section B my texts are Sheridan 'The Rivals' and William Blake's 'Songs of Innocence and Experience'. What's the best way to revise for the exams? I've worked out that I'm a visual learner, so what's the best way to go about it?
Reply 1
I'm doing the Rivals too :smile: but I'm comparing it with Chaucer's The Wife of Bath. I'm also trying to improve my grades but the most effective method for me is getting all the key themes that could be compared with both texts - even the Shakespeare text - and then linking that with quotes. Also find interpretations of critics to support points as well as context, so I would say researching literary and social context of the 16th and 18th century. You could present all your ideas into a spider diagram :smile: Hope this helps as I'm going by this method for the exam.
Not unless you get someone else to sit the exams for you or get a lucky paper. No.
Reply 3
Yes, it is very much possible! Make sure you put in the effort to study and revise a LOT for your mocks so you can concentrate on essay writing closer to the exam (i'm assuming you have mocks soon, because I do too?)

Get out the key quotations, I'm doing songs of experience and innocence too, so the most important out of that is like "mind forge'd manacles" "dews of the night" (these might mean nothing to you if you're not doing the same ones as I am)

And also, don't forget to add in context - e.g Blake was a dissenter, so he despised the documentation of the church and state, but believed entirely in the bible as society makes itself corrupt blah blah you probably know this,

as well as alternative readings (i just go online and steal people's stuff and write it in my exam as my own alternative reading :P).
Original post by Qymberley
Yes, it is very much possible! Make sure you put in the effort to study and revise a LOT for your mocks so you can concentrate on essay writing closer to the exam (i'm assuming you have mocks soon, because I do too?)

Get out the key quotations, I'm doing songs of experience and innocence too, so the most important out of that is like "mind forge'd manacles" "dews of the night" (these might mean nothing to you if you're not doing the same ones as I am)

And also, don't forget to add in context - e.g Blake was a dissenter, so he despised the documentation of the church and state, but believed entirely in the bible as society makes itself corrupt blah blah you probably know this,

as well as alternative readings (i just go online and steal people's stuff and write it in my exam as my own alternative reading :P).

That is plagiarism, I hope you don't follow on to uni with that mindset.
Reply 5
Original post by liveforever1990
That is plagiarism, I hope you don't follow on to uni with that mindset.

hardly, i don't have the time/brain capacity to remember exactly who said it - it's not like coursework. Besides, it's unlikely that I will remember it word for word, and because it's in response to the question that i have no idea about prior to the exam, it is not plagarism.
Mr Bruff is a godsend when it comes to English, one of my frinds said he went from a D to a B just from his vids :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
hardly, i don't have the time/brain capacity to remember exactly who said it - it's not like coursework. Besides, it's unlikely that I will remember it word for word, and because it's in response to the question that i have no idea about prior to the exam, it is not plagarism.

In an exam using other peoples ideas on a subject and claiming they are your own without giving any reference to the original source is definitely plagiarism.
Reply 8
Thanks everyone!
Reply 9
In an exam using other peoples ideas on a subject and claiming they are your own without giving any reference to the original source is definitely plagiarism.

Think of it as you will mate
Think of it as you will mate

Already have done. :smile: Black mark has been put against your name.
Already have done. :smile: Black mark has been put against your name.

Hahaha, you're too funny! xD

Doesn't really matter. Unless they wrote down a long analysis word for word, there would be no way of proving they didn't simply have the same idea.
Have exactly the same section b texts , I shall be watching this thread losely

Quick Reply

Latest