The Student Room Group

Homosexuals Can Now Marry, So Why Not Legalise Polygamy?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by trianglehate
Please explain to me how you've made a comparison between homosexuality and polygamy, because I'm struggling to find one!

Consenting adults who are in love with each other, their love is harming nobody, why shouldn't they be allowed to get married?

Original post by MostUncivilised
Yawn. The country has already had the gay-marriage debate; we won, you lost. That means you get to sit down and shut up now

So in countries where homosexual marriage is illegal, homosexuals should simply sit down and shut up, and not try to get support for their cause?
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by RandZul'Zorander
Again thats not the point. As I said, why shouldn't it be an option for people to freely choose to enter into? Many/most may not. But there are some who do wish and have multiple lovers (legitimately). Polyamorous relationships are not about forcing people into anything. They are predicated on consent. So I'm still not sure how polygamy or polyandry are anti-woman or anti-man.

Because who ****ing wants it ? Show me all the polygamous groups calling for this ????

please show me all the political groups pressuring us to legalise polygamous marriage ????

it is a non issue and this is frankly a boring non discussion.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Green Marble
Because who ****ing wants it ? Show me all the polygamous groups calling for this ????

please show me all the political groups pressuring us to legalise polygamous marriage

There are plenty of people who are in non-monogamous relationships. I don't really think that people advocating for their rights makes their right legitimate.

Similarly I do not believe that same-sex couples should not have had the right prior to political groups pressuring for it.

You again, haven't addressed how it is anti-women.

Also there are plenty of polyamorous people/groups which advocate for marriage rights. Just do a google search...really.
(edited 10 years ago)
There are plenty of people who are in non-monogamous relationships. I don't really think that people advocating for their rights makes their right legitimate.

Similarly I do not believe that same-sex couples should not have had the right prior to political groups pressuring for it.

You again, haven't addressed how it is anti-women.

Also there are plenty of polyamorous people/groups which advocate for marriage rights. Just do a google search...really.

no I won't do a google search why don't you actually show me ? I have never heard of any and that is testimony to how insignificant this alleged cause is
Original post by thesabbath
So why exclude these legal benefits from those who want to recognise their polygamous arrangement via a "marriage"? That was the point I was making.

Short term because the Matrimonial Causes Act and all other relevant legislation can be changed very easily to accomodate another bilateral relationship. Any change to aaccomodate multilateral relationships will require either epic redrafting or, more likely, the scrapping of current matrimonial statute. Such an overhaul would also be an opportune moment for the Law Commission to have an in depth look at family law, all of which takes time.

Long term I see no reason not to. Marriage is just a particular type of contract and people should be free to contract with each other however they so choose subject to rules on coercion, deception, misrepresentation, unfair terms etc. I would think, given their unusual nature, there would be an increased chance of such behaviour so there may be a particular regime for governing them, akin to those for domestic mortgages, consumer contracts, tenancies etc.
no I won't do a google search why don't you actually show me ? I have never heard of any and that is testimony to how insignificant this alleged cause is

You conveniently ignore half of my post. Do you think having advocacy groups is the basis for granting rights of equal treatment?

You made the claim that there weren't any. Even basic research would show otherwise. Why is it on me to provide the source. Go to google and stop being a lazy prick. :h:

I'll be nice though and give you a start. http://www.usnews.com/news/articles/2013/06/24/polyamorous-advocate-gay-marriage-blazing-the-marriage-equality-trail Look people do advocate for it! It may not be getting much media or political attention but its rather ignorant to claim that nobody wants it. There was even a recent court case in Utah about it. :rolleyes:

Clearly you are not as well read as you would like to think.
(edited 10 years ago)
This was an argument raised by many during the debate about whether or not to legalise gay marriage or not!
And really, if you're going to re-define marriage in one aspect, there is nothing stopping people campaigning for pologamy to be legalised...slippery slope and all that! I guess that's why some people were worried about the redefining of marriage in the first place.
You conveniently ignore half of my post. Do you think having advocacy groups is the basis for granting rights of equal treatment?

You made the claim that there weren't any. Even basic research would show otherwise. Why is it on me to provide the source. Go to google and stop being a lazy prick. :h:

I'll be nice though and give you a start. http://www.usnews.com/news/articles/2013/06/24/polyamorous-advocate-gay-marriage-blazing-the-marriage-equality-trail Look people do advocate for it! It may not be getting much media or political attention but its rather ignorant to claim that nobody wants it.

firstly it is not my position to justify your own argument

Secondly Any of the these groups in Britain ?????
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Chief Wiggum
I think polygamy should be legalised.

It's ridiculously hypocritical for someone to support homosexual marriage but oppose polygamy.

I agree with this, also.
Reply 89
They are two completely different things.
firstly it is not my position to justify your own argument

Secondly Any of the these groups in Britain ?????

I haven't out forward any arguments...only questioned yours. still haven't answered why polygamy is anti-women. Nor whether or not having activist groups is the basis for granting equality under the law.

Really just do your own research jeez.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I haven't out forward any arguments...only questioned yours. still haven't answered why polygamy is anti-women. Nor whether or not having activist groups is the basis for granting equality under the law.

Really just do your own research jeez.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Activism shows a desire to change law there is no desire to change marriage laws to allow polygamy as you have failed to show me. The historical view on polygamy is sexist because they are historically attached to religion that views women as lesser
Activism shows a desire to change law there is no desire to change marriage laws to allow polygamy as you have failed to show me. The historical view on polygamy is sexist because they are historically attached to religion that views women as lesser

I provided an example of an article pushing for polygamous marriage. Furthermore, if you read the article you would see that people may actually want it but don't seek it because it seems impossible And I ask again if activism is required for there to be a change. Whether anyone is outing the arguments forward doesn't make them less valid. at the very least we could say this thread is an example that people are considering the possibility.

The historical practice has been quite misogynistic and unfair towards women but I asked about polygamy as a concept it is not limited to that form or do you think it is?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Chief Wiggum
Consenting adults who are in love with each other, their love is harming nobody, why shouldn't they be allowed to get married?

I think you misunderstood my post, I'm not against homosexuals. I'm against the OP and his ridiculous link of homosexual marriage with polygamy - because there is no link...

(Unless I've misunderstood your reply) there is no need for polygamy because if somebody truly loved somebody else there'd be no need to have another married partner.
Original post by thesabbath
Marriage was well defined between a man and a woman. Homosexuality and polygamy and various other possible arrangements did not come into it.

Now it has been arbitrarily expanded to include pink marriage and all the propaganda/arguments made by their side apply to further expansions to include other arrangements including polygamy which are at present excluded.

It was defined by the law. The law is not set in stone, in fact it changes quite literally every working day of the year, it is in constant flux.

And it wasn't arbitrary, it was the act (and indeed Act) of a sovreign parliament which is free to legislate in whatever manner it so chooses.
I think you misunderstood my post, I'm not against homosexuals. I'm against the OP and his ridiculous link of homosexual marriage with polygamy - because there is no link...

(Unless I've misunderstood your reply) there is no need for polygamy because if somebody truly loved somebody else there'd be no need to have another married partner.

A) Who gave you the right to tell other people what they feel?

B) Where does it say you have to be in love to get married? Because there's an awful lot of Society weddings which are basically business deals in a dress are going to fall flat on their **** if that's a new requirement.
I provided an example of an article pushing for polygamous marriage. Furthermore, if you read the article you would see that people may actually want it but don't seek it because it seems impossible And I ask again if activism is required for there to be a change. Whether anyone is outing the arguments forward doesn't make them less valid. at the very least we could say this thread is an example that people are considering the possibility.

The historical practice has been quite misogynistic and unfair towards women but I asked about polygamy as a concept it is not limited to that form or do you think it is?

Posted from TSR Mobile

you did not show me any groups in Britain you only showed me some obscure group in America. If we are talking about Britain and british law I would ask that you at least show me some group that is advocating change in the law from this side of the pond
Original post by Le Nombre
A) Who gave you the right to tell other people what they feel?

B) Where does it say you have to be in love to get married? Because there's an awful lot of Society weddings which are basically business deals in a dress are going to fall flat on their **** if that's a new requirement.

A) What are you on about? I haven't said anything about oppressing how people feel.

B) No where, but given the thread is about polygamy that's what my post was about? You've just completely twisted it to sound like I'm anti-marriage lol. But given the example you've just stated, I have no sympathy for people who have 'business marriages' because there really is no need for them. They're not being forced into doing so.

There really is no need for polygamy, why does somebody need numerous wives or husbands? In my opinion that's just greed. It's like saying an unmarried person can have several partners and choose which one he/she wants to be with when they like - I'm sure people would frown upon that.

I didn't misunderstand your post, I know what you meant. I wasn't accusing you of being against homosexuals. :p:

I am saying that the reasoning behind homosexual marriage being legalised was that if 2 homosexuals loved each other, and consented, and their love was harming nobody, they should be allowed to get married. Same thing for polygamy - eg, 1 woman loves 2 men, they both love the woman, everyone consents, the relationship is harming nobody, why shouldn't they be allowed to get married?

I know polygamy isn't the same as homosexuality. But I think the logic behind legalisation is pretty similar.
(edited 10 years ago)
you did not show me any groups in Britain you only showed me some obscure group in America. If we are talking about Britain and british law I would ask that you at least show me some group that is advocating change in the law from this side of the pond

You seem to be purposefully not answering my questions.

There are plenty if people who write on polygamy. Look up Eric Anderson The Monogamy Gap. He, if I remember correctly teaches over here. I do know that book is used in sociology classes at Durham University. And the arguments apply just as well in the UK as in the US. So really again my above question is raised (which you don't answer again).

There was also a solicitor who presented in family law talking about non-monogamy in the law (he was polyamorous an advocated more inclusivity). There are plenty of people here in the UK and again if anything this thread shows that people are considering it so really your point is moot

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending